S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do you guys drive it hard?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do 4th to 2nd occasionally. But I always rev match or heel-toe.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM

It's just more fun rowing through gears.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Never skip gear, and always rev-match (even in daily driving). Shifting is fun anyway!!!

Or if I must skip gears, I usually double clutch ...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by smurf2k,Jul 10 2008, 05:16 AM
sure i skip gears often on downshifts. i always double-de-clutch when skipping gears.

(commence the inevitable mass misunderstanding re: heel/toe;double-clutching;rev-matching;etc;etc...........)
+1

Just to clarify.

I usually row the gears.

If I'm driving casually, I will double de-clutch. For example, sometimes I'm in fourth slowing to a red light that's about to turn green, I go from 4th to 2nd with a double de-clutch. Double de-clutching is the ONLY acceptable method in my book for skipping gears on a downshift.

If I'm driving hard, I 50/50 double de-clutch or rev-match depending on my entry/setup. Rev-matching means I'm downshifting and blipping the throttle with the clutch in. Rev-matching REQUIRES rowing the gears as the synchros were not designed for the heavy hits of taking the giant difference in rotation speeds from skipping gear. Rev-matching does nothing for the synchros; all it does is match engine to transmission for a smooth clutch out.

Rev-matching is not the same as a double de-clutch. The "feel" is the same when you clutch out, but the way the transmission internals move are different.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howcome when double clutching you need to clutch out in neutral? Can't you just go from 4th, clutch out, rev, then go in gear? What is the pause and clutch in for neutral necessary for? (Sorry for the noob questions, I'm preparing for the track and just want to get things straightened out)
Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric220,Jul 10 2008, 11:22 AM
What is the pause and clutch in for neutral necessary for?
It's not.

It used to be necessary, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM

This is my general mechanical understanding of a transmissions.

When you clutch in (pushing the pedal down), you disengage the engine from the transmission.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

When you clutch out in neutral, you reconnect the layshaft of the transmission to the engine. Thus with a double de-clutch, when you blip the throttle, you also increase the rotational speed of the layshaft. This is what matches you up to the rotational speed of the spline shaft from the wheel speed. In this way, you match the speeds of the two shafts to minimize the amount the synchro has to speed up or slow down anything.

Clutch in -> neutral -> clutch out -> blip -> clutch in -> shift = double de-clutch and shaft speeds match so synchros don't take load.

In a rev-match, you merely disconnect the engine from the transmissions. The shafts in the transmission are not matched in speed when you skip gears. Thus, the synchros take the load of speeding up the layshaft when you downshift. Blipping the throttle matches engine speed to the now faster spinning layshaft, but the synchros did the work. This is all fine as that's what the synchros are designed to do. However, you have to row as the synchros were not designed to take the larger differences in rotational speed from skipping gears.

Clutch in -> shift and blip -> clutch out = rev-match and synchros did the work
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM

I rev match every downshift as I think its ideal for each shift to be as smooth as possible. Skipping a gear isn't necessarily a bad thing, just make sure you rev match and make sure you have enough RPMs to go to the lower gear. If you don't you're going to be looking at big time over-rev and maybe a dead engine.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do not skip shift
Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Boofster,Jul 10 2008, 12:16 PM
do not skip shift without rev matching
fixed

Quick Reply: How do you guys drive it hard?