S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

how do you pay for mods?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do you pay for mods?

As i stroll through the forums, especially the gallery or FI I just wonder how some folks pay/afford the mods that they have. I know some people just have good income but for the less than baller folks do you place it on your CC and pay it off over time, just save save save and then buy or do you get a loan to pay for big stuff like turbo setups that can cost 10k on up? I see certain posts and its a 21yr old college student with turbo, j's kit and volks and im like colombian druglord, rich mommy and daddy or does he/she spend every dime that he gets on the car. Just makes me wonder. If you feel so inclined a brief description of how you afford your mods would be nice
Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 AM

I usually purchase with a credit card and then pay it off imediately. I'll never spend more than I have but I'm usually pretty frugal, especially when it comes to cars.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll find a lot of the following:
1) Rich mommy & daddy.
1a) I pay for it all by myself... but I live with mommy & daddy and they pay my college tuition, car payment and insurance.
2) I'm up to my ears in credit card debt.
But don't expect a lot of these people to respond to your thread.

As for myself, I usually put it on my CC (because I get cash back) and then pay it off the next month. There have been a few things that I've wanted and had to take 2 or 3 months to pay back (like the Toda header+Amuse R1000 exhaust that I bought at the same time). But in general, I try not to buy it unless I already have the cash handy.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car parts I won't buy unless I already have the money. I can thank instant bank transfers from Paypal for that.

Other things like my big TV I put on the 0% Best Buy card and i'll pay off over a few months. If you can stretch it out without costing any more money why not?

There's a reason why I'm not FI or have my wheels yet and that is because I can not afford them yet
Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cash.

If I can't afford the mod with cash, then I feel like I am overextending myself for a luxury.

I remember when I was in college and I bought some 15 inch speakers and a CD player for my Honda Civic Coupe back in 1994on my credit card. It took me 2 years to pay it off and I probably spent 50% more because of interest. I learned a lesson from that so now if I buy mods I just pay in cash or just save up until I can afford it.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 AM

well since I made the post I guess I should have given my own description...I live w/ mommy and daddy and thats b/c my job is 10 mins from my house, I'm not married nor do I have any rugrats. I pull in decent money for my age I think (23) fresh out of college and I pay for all of my mods cash money unless it has to be ordered online. OT, a sub-reason why I really made the post is that I've been itching for a SC and a SC only...now i have more than enough money to buy one brand new but I keep telling myself if i wanted a faster car y didnt i buy one to begin with and my dad keeps saying that too...even though he supports whatever i wanna do as long as I'm keeping out of trouble
Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i wait til i have cash to the deposit and buy with my Debit
Old 10-17-2007, 06:10 AM

I don't ask because I don't want to know. While I could go out and buy Volks, SC, etc - its hard for me to justify spending that much $$ on mods because of how little money I make. I don't want to be car rich/poor everything else. Thats ghetto. So if something comes along thats cheap and a good deal, then I'll probably scoop it up - but I've decided the blower can wait until I make big $$.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Only if I have the cash. I put it on my card and pay it off at the end of the month in full(never a balance!).

However, I don't put all my earnings (all very little of it) into car mods since I'm a poor college student and have other things to pay for (gas, payments, other stuff).

I do live with mommy and daddy tho.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 AM

There's nothing wrong with living with your parents. It's the Western society that teaches us that we should leave our family. In many parts of the world, even after you're married, you live with your parents and siblings. It makes more sense to me. You can save money, you have a stronger family bond, the kids have cousions to play with, and there's always a baby sitter avaliable. Not to mention more than one woman in the house to cook and help prepare the meals for the family.

Quick Reply: how do you pay for mods?