S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to Get the Best Possible Deal on an S2k?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Get the Best Possible Deal on an S2k?

I decided I wanted an S2k a few months ago, and have been reading these boards ever since.

I want to get the best possible deal on a used AP1 S2k, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I am searching the websites in the S2k buyer's guide daily (S2ki.com Classifieds, edmunds, kbb, autotrader, craigslist, hankshelper).

I don't have any time constraints on buying one; I can wait as long as it takes to find a good deal. I figure that the winter will be the best time to buy?

What I'm looking for is an AP1, any color but yellow, mostly stock, no accidents at all, in minimal 8/10 condition, and <125k miles.

Other than surfing the above websites, is there any thing else I can do? What would a good deal on a car like that be?

I tried the search function and was unable to find any similar threads.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:17 PM

Look...be patient, and do NOT let price be the only indication of a 'good deal'.

Browse the cars for sale section here, just learn what things go for. Factor in maintenance that may have been neglected, or typical things you'd want to get done before you started driving it.

You shouldnt have any problem finding one in the condition you mention for around 11...maybe 10k.

Remember: being able to afford the car is more than just being able to buy one.

Good luck
Old 09-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best time would be in the winter. Right now, the prices seems higher then expected.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:22 PM

dude if you are trying to find a good condition ap1 with decent mileage for like 8k it wont happen

expect to pay 10k atleast
Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate4635,Sep 15 2010, 07:17 PM
Look...be patient
+1

You can find good deals any time of the year. Be ready to jump on a one when you find it.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM

when you find one at a good deal i suggest not trying to bargain with them as it is. if it's a really good deal out there people will know and you will have some competition going after the car.
i managed to pick up my ap1 with 81k for 9k cash. the over all car was pretty clean too. i just got lucky, because the guy was moving and wanted to get rid of it.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:47 PM

+1 to being patient. It took me 3 months for me to find the one I wanted in my price range at the time. Keep looking on Cars.com, Autotrader, s2ki marketplace, and maybe craigslist if you know how to filter out the scams.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 PM

You'll never find it. There's ALWAYS a better deal out there. Just find a clean car for average market price, and enjoy the car.

If you're personality is such that you're always looking for the "best deal," either a) you'll never be satisfied, or b) you've spent too much time on it when you could be owning & driving it.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 AM

Because of the recession, used car prices have sky rocketed. For the first time in years it's better to buy new than to buy used (quoted from Clark Howard). In addition, what others have said about prices of convertibles selling better in the summer is 100% true.

Just recognize that the s2000 is a "wanted" car. It is and always will be desirable. A car dealer or private seller can put it on the lot and ask big amounts of money and eventually someone will pay for it.

When I was looking for AP1's it took me around a year of looking and another 9 months of really looking hard. I test drove a lot of cars and really got used to what an s2000 was all about. What I discovered that if you were looking at a cheap(er) car there were going to be issues that you may or may not be able to live with. I bought my car for more than what I initially wanted to pay but I also got a MY00 with less than 17k miles and near perfect condition. What was the difference is cost? Less than $1000 from what I was looking at with more miles and more potential issues.

I also have to agree with Nate. When you buy an s2000 there are a lot of costs. Some costs that I didn't expect:
leather seat condition
convertible top condition
new tires
full fluid changes with oem required filters and washers
and probably more I don't remember.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:11 AM

Just by a Silverstone, they are cheap

Quick Reply: How to Get the Best Possible Deal on an S2k?