S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

how many people had their rear axle replaced?

Old 03-10-2003, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know how many ppl here have had the same problem.. Because the clicking noise have gotten much worse for my S. The rear axle on mine had the clicking/popping noise a few months ago. Santa Monica Honda regreased it and it went away until this weekend. The clicking, marble-sounding got 10x louder. Honda mechanic said axle/hub replacement is the only way to make it go away. VTecnology and a few people have had it replace and it looks like i'm next, and i'm not a clutch dropper (50K hwy miles on a MY00). $1,100 is not cheap for the job (no extended warranty) How do we know it's not a wear/tear/defect thing that will happen again every 30-50K?

Thanks,
-Brian

ps: this problem is described in more details by vtec below...

Hey hey now, I'm a clutch dropper . Hmmmmmm. 38000 miles huh? Do you have any form of extended warranty? I had both of my rear axles replaced at about 50000 miles under the extended warranty I have. You DO NOT want to have to buy new axles. They are over 500 dollars a piece. I really need to know more about the noise than you've told me so far. I've had a clicking, a clunking, and a resinating "wahwahwah" that was accompanied by a shaking in the car at highway speed. The wahwah I had would progressively shake the car (it was a suptle shaking, passengers couldn't even tell what I was talking about) depending on how fast I was accelerating. I really wish I could hear the noise first hand. If I had a set of smoked diffusers I could just come up there and we could make a day out of it. Honestly I wouldn't trust the dealer to find the problem. Their method usually entails removing and replacing until they finally make the problem go away. The rear end in an S2000 is different then other Hondas. I would take the rear axle out and slide the inner cv joint apart (just a little bit) and back together a few times to try and relocate some axle grease in there. while you're dissasembling it check for any play in the axle itself. If all seems well put it back together and torque the ever living shit out of the axle nut. A service bulletin came out not to long ago with revised torque figures for the axle nut. I can't remember exactly what the figure was but I can tell you it was ungodly high. I'll try to find out the exact number for you. Let me know if you need any help. I've got the next couple weeks off so I might be willing to make a little roadtrip.