S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How To SideStep the S2000 Clutch

Old 10-16-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty,Oct 16 2006, 09:27 AM
Is there any damage that comes from bogging the motor? I know you wont get an optimum launch, but is there any damage?
Yes. Since an engine does not idle at 0 rpms, but the tires do, no matter how you start you have to dissapate some energy. Chances are, if you bogged the engine that means A) You didn't break the tires loose and B) You didn't slip the clutch. So how did you dissipate that energy? But warping or grinding the inside of the differential. Not good. The clutch glazes easily in high rpm car, so tire spin is the way to go. Not the case for every car, but in this case it is. I can attest to that by my different entry speeds going into the first corner, based on start style, after some of those pro-solo style starts you were talking about.

As for sidestepping, if you are hitting the foot rest, then go up a little first, then off to the left while continuing up. You should be able to start moving your foot sideways before the engagement point anyways. If you can't, seriously get quicker feet. Go running, loose some weight and add some functional muscle to those legs. It would be healthy anyway.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Oct 16 2006, 11:31 AM
ca torche en masse,mon ti-pit.!!!
Ah, ca me fait de plaisir d l'entendre. Un jour, peut-etre le mien sera aussi terrible. mon maitre de vitesse!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=Chazmo,Oct 16 2006, 09:10 AM]Red, I agree with you.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty,Oct 16 2006, 12:27 PM
RED MX5, you said, "Bogging the motor is also not a good idea, so make sure the tires break lose cleanly."

Is there any damage that comes from bogging the motor? I know you wont get an optimum launch, but is there any damage?
In addition to what FormulaRedline said, when the engine bogs or the tires don't break loose cleanly the driveline is exposed to a much higher level of shock loading and things are far more likely to break.

The issue is something called "stiction." If you are not familiar with the term you can learn what it means here.

It takes a lot (A LOT) more force to break the tires loose than it does to keep them spinniing, and a short, sharp, shock, does it quickly and with the least amount of total force. When you bog a launch you have failed to break the stiction of the tires, and the loads on the driveline skyrocket.

This is one of the many ways one can trash a car trying to do this kind of thing.

Even launching when the car is on an incline increases risk to the driveline. When the front of the car is higher than the back there is additional weight transferred to the rear tires, and they'll deliver more traction (and have higher stiction) as a result. Add a load of groceries in the trunk and a full tank of gas, and a car that normally breaks the tires loose easily when the clutch is dropped at 6k can end up bogging and not overcoming the stiction, and you may end up picking parts of the car up off the ground.

I mention Spridgets (AH Sprites and MG Midgets, AKA "bug-eyes") in many of my posts, because the little cars are so much fun. Even though they have less power than some small tractors they'll still light the tires and chirp them on the 1-2 shift, because the flywheel is heavy and a good driver can use the flywheels inertia to overcome the tires stiction. Done in a reasonable way this won't hurt the little cars, but if you install racing rubber or blow a couple launches the driveline will be hosed. You can even rip the rear end out of a Chevy if you blow a launch (though it's a lot harder if the car has the HD 12-bolt differential).

Anyway, a bog is what happens when stiction wins and the driveline loses. Stiction can also result in excessive clutch slip and overheating and/or glazing of the clutch.