S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hydroplaned.... Hit Barrier (Opinions needed)

Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydroplaned.... Hit Barrier (Opinions needed)

I'll start with the story. I rushed home from college where my baby was being stored, totaling about 2.5 hours of anticipation. I got the car all ready after a long winter of not running and everything was perfect and of course I was wearing the spring time smile (looking back I forgot one VERY important thing).

It happened to be pouring on the way back - as I was entering an on ramp over a pretty large bridge, I noted the large puddle and slowed down to probably 60. I felt my car start to float and my back end started to shift left. I knew how to react and took both of my feet away from the pedals and counter steered very slightly, only to have my back end whip around counter clock wise. At this point I was sliding backwards and realized all I could do now was pray and hold the f*** on while breaking. Eventually I smacked into the barrier and slide along side it for awhile, sparks flying everywhere.

I sat there for about 2 minutes trying to replay the event in my mind. I realized that I did everything I could do and I made no major driving error. I then proceeded to curse up a storm, then calm myself realizing that I could be flipped over, in the freezing water, drowning. My feelings of rage dissipated shortly after. At this point, I was sitting there with my flashers on unable to start the car. The cop/fire fighters came and I got myself towed to a hopefully trustworthy garage.

Analyzing the cause of hydroplaning:
1. I have new GS-D3s in the front, and VERY worn GS-D2s on my back. I was actually going to change the rears this weekend into the new F1 Asyms I have sitting in my apartment. EVERYONE NEEDS TO HAVE PROPER TREAD ON THEIR REAR TIRES. There are so many accidents on these forums because of this exact thing. In my case, I waited one day too many (even though this was the first day on the road).

2. Huge mistake on my part, but I forgot to deflate my tires after winterizing. Before I put it away, I had the tires at like 45 psi. I'm sure there's still >40psi in the tires which definitely contributed to hydroplaning tendencies.

Again, I'm so glad no one got hurt, and the rear/back of the car was the only part affected. Just trying to look at the positives while dealing with a $1k deductible and fear of a bent frame.

I'll post the pictures.

SUCK

Damage

All Damage that was done

Back Right (note how low the car is sitting)

Front Right (Looks normal?)

Back Left (Looks normal?)

Front Left (Note how high the car is sitting)

Front Left Close

View of Damaged Wheel

Now my questions:

1. Please note the distance the car is lifted on the front left side (I'm assuming this is due to the sagging of the car in the rear right, where the car impacted the wall). I'm hoping to GOD this isn't due to a bent frame. I need some expert opinion though... why is the car lifted like that?

2. As far as damages, I'm obviously going to need:
rear right panel
bumper
wheel
suspension work
anything else?

3. By looking at the pictures, can anyone predict what kind of internal damage there is? I'm sure I'll need a new control arm (I think that's the correct part).

4. Why didn't my car start? I'm assuming there's some chip in the back not allowing the engine to start.

5. I'm not sure how likely it is that the frame was bent, but if so the garage has the capabilities of bending. I'm wondering how much this will affect the performance of the car?

My biggest fear after all of this is that she will never be the same.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:54 AM

doesn't look too bad, but that's an understatement with the s2000.

never like seeing them like this but good luck with the repairs

just read worn tires in the rear, get ur flame suit on.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

yep, that is what you get with worn, over inflated tires. And you did make a driving error, you went with your 1st instinct and lifted. You should have backed off of the throttle a bit and countersteered, depending on how bad you were hydroplaining it may not have helped, but it couldn't have hurt.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course some genius has to step in and comment.

To the OP - Your attitude towards the incident is inspiring. Wish I could have a smidgen of optimism when it comes to things like this.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ookielookie,Mar 13 2010, 03:05 PM
Of course some genius has to step in and comment.
Yep Not so much a comment though, more of a statement of fact.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sad pics. Glad you're ok.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,454 Posts

the car looks to be in pretty good shape, I was expecting worse, likely a suspension a arm broken or someother part on that one side, I doubt frame damage occurred but you'll soon find out. Good luck with the repairs, lesson learned hugh. No air bags deployed which is good, that would have been more problematic.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe a good body shop and nice new tires?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kaneda215,Mar 13 2010, 11:16 AM
I knew how to react and took both of my feet away from the pedals
Old 03-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could have been alot worse. The passenger front looks a little funky. The headlight/fender/bumper dont meet up the way they should. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: Hydroplaned.... Hit Barrier (Opinions needed)