S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I actually did it this time

Old 07-29-2004, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I actually did it this time

While I really did want an s2k, I wondered if I'd have the guts to pull the trigger. Called another local dealer today and he had a white,sebring,silverstone and black on the lot. Mileage on each 12-14 miles they didn't give test drives in the new ones, only one of the mechanics cars.

I told them what I could pay and we weren't close, but when they saw my credit they were determined to do something. Fast forward a couple of hours, extremely low lease rates and an extra $1800 for the trade-in and we were done. Leased it nothing down, 48 months. Effective sales price $30,500 and about what I wanted for the trade.

Though silverstone was my 1st choice, I fell in love with the white. After much confusion and waffling, committed to the white as it just looked so classy to me and I love tan interiors.

Many similarities to the Miata I had in the handling department, with a hint more understeer thru my favorite section of Mulholland. But power is night and day. Didn't get over 6k rpm's and still way faster than Miata. How long until I bury the pedal and redline it

Soooo, other than buckling up and grinning ear to ear, any advice to a newbie on things to look out for, listen for, air pressure, breakin procedures, etc etc?????

Mark
Old 07-29-2004, 08:06 PM

It's all in the manual.

Good luck and congrats.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:08 PM

Dont take it over 5500 rpm until you have 600+ miles on it.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:16 PM

The salesman told me to keep it around 5k for 1000 miles. The service manager (that drives a white/tan s2k) told me wring it out right away and just don't hold constant rpm's.

Modern day 250cc 4 stroke motorcycle motors need to be broken in hard immediately or the rings don't seat/they burn oil like crazy. I've seen Honda CRF250 motors broken in easy, and they smoked and burned oil like crazy. Was thinking this break in logic might apply here (hoping)? The service manager felt that was the case. Somewhere in my bookmarks I've got a great article on the belief and logic of hard break-ins. Will post it if I find it.

For now, will behave myself and try to put miles on as quickly as possible

mark
Old 07-30-2004, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mark16q,Jul 29 2004, 11:02 PM

Soooo, other than buckling up and grinning ear to ear, any advice to a newbie on things to look out for, listen for, air pressure, breakin procedures, etc etc?????

Mark
Yes, come back here daily and you will soon know more about this car than you will (hopefully) ever need. This is a tremendous source of information and most people are eager to help someone who shares their enthusiasm. As for suggestions:

- read the manual
- read the faqs
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154011
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108435
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=195574
- stay with dino oil thru the break in
- don't skip gears for the good of your synchros
- enjoy!
Old 07-30-2004, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mark16q,Jul 29 2004, 11:16 PM
Somewhere in my bookmarks I've got a great article on the belief and logic of hard break-ins. Will post it if I find it.
This has been debated at length here and jury is still out. Here is but one post on the topic with a good analysis of the argument:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry4223206

It has been suggested that by doing a hard break-in that you are trading in the longevity of the engine for some modest power gains. You decide.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by DaveOnLI,Jul 29 2004, 11:08 PM
Dont take it over 5500 rpm until you have 600+ miles on it.
I disagree and feel that this only hurts the car and its performance. You don't necessarily have to do a "hard" break-in, but I would certainly take the car through all its gears, give it plenty of varied driving, and take into into VTEC but just short of redline (as long as the car is warmed up and temperature is normal - about 15 minutes of varied driving).

I do like the "hard" break-in period, but not everyone is willing to do it on a brand new car. So go the "modest/medium" route and just drive the car without totally beating on it. Like I said, go through all the gears. Accelerate quickly, hit VTEC, but don't redline it yet. Downshift, take corners, brake (but not too hard - gotta give the ABS time to break in along with brand new tires), and have fun.

Congratulations on the new S2K. You'll love it!

I love mine every single day. In fact, I love it more and more each day.

And consider changing your oil at 1,000 miles. Ask Road Rage for more info on why and other recommendations. Or check out the Under the Hood forum for info.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Synth oil now.
Check the oil all the time (Every single fill).
Constant RPM is bad.
Don't tailgate cars, because the windshield hates rocks, and you'll hate them too after you get a look at the hood.
I only operated the top with engine running (otherwise you're really straining the battery)
BE CAREFULL WHILE DRIVING IN THE RAIN...Seriously get the hang of it...I went to the mall parking lot on a wet Sunday night (mall's closed), and just started fish-tailing all over.

Damn I miss my car
Old 07-30-2004, 12:50 PM

listen to honda...read the manual
Old 07-30-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mark16q,Jul 29 2004, 09:16 PM
The service manager (that drives a white/tan s2k) told me wring it out right away and just don't hold constant rpm's.

If you rev the engine a little in the lower gears, (1st or 2nd) the amount of time spent at 6-7k rpm before upshifting to the next gear is very minimal.

Quick Reply: I actually did it this time