S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I actually did it this time

Old 07-31-2004, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jul 31 2004, 08:27 AM
My only advice that's critical is to watch your dipstick (and never stop, really). The S's engine has an appetite for oil. I'd make recommendations to follow Honda's warning about synth oil up to 10K or so miles, but that's probably not such a big deal (and has been debated ad nauseum around here).

Enjoy!
As for oil, I have found that Valvoline (dino) didn't burn much oil during 3,000+ miles between changes. I do recommend Valvoline for the first 10K+ miles. It's a good quality dino oil to use before reaching 10K miles and switching to synthetic.

However, in my previous S2K (01'), I noticed that when I was using Mobil 1, it burned at least a quart of oil every 3K miles. The same is true of my friend's S2K.

I know that according to the oil journals and other's experiences, Mobil 1 does burn more than other syn oils. I recently reached more than 10K miles on my 03' S2K and have now switched to Mobil 1 synthetic from the Valvoline. I will watch my oil consumption to see how much of a difference there is.

I wanted to use Valvoline's new synthetic, but I could only find it in one quart bottles and not in the 5 quart jugs. It's far too expensive to use synthetic if you can't buy it in larger containers. So I'll continue using Mobil 1 unless I find a reason to switch to something else.

I've used Mobil 1 in many of my cars (including my other S2K and ITR), and I've never had a problem.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by natedoggs2k,Jul 31 2004, 10:22 AM
This is Honda's recommendation for break-in:

Although Honda recommends avoiding full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration, it doesn't say you cannot go past 5500 RPM's or not engage VTEC. Why people assume you can't hit VTEC is beyond me, as Honda never stated that. If you "assume" that "rapid acceleration" means no VTEC, then you are misinformed. If that is what Honda meant, they would have stated so in the manual.

Like I said before, varied driving through the whole RPM band is best for a proper break in. Don't be afraid to hit VTEC. You can accelerate without flooring the car and go through VTEC.
Nate,

Sorry to tell you, but you're misinformed. Page 122 of the S2000 Owner's Manual is quite clear:

"Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Do not exceed 5500 rpm fot the first 600 miles (1000km) of operation)..."
Old 07-31-2004, 06:35 AM

That is interesting. Honda has a different recommendation online through Owner's Link. I wonder if that is just their general break in versus the specific language in the manual. I happened to quote that because I was using Owner's Link this morning to update my online service records and read through the FAQ's and other information.

Oh well, even though our manual states to not go into VTEC, I still recommend doing so, as I believe a more moderate or "hard" break-in period is better for the car's performance and reliability.

But we all know that this issue is split down the middle!

Good catch! I should contact Honda and tell them that the manual and online info conflicts!
Old 07-31-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Chazmo, you beat me to it. It's on page 120 of my '03 manual.

"Do not exceed 5,500 rpm for the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation."

I followed Honda's recommendation for break-in. I did do a fair amount of engine braking to help seat the rings. I've used about a quart of oil in 5,500 miles. Doesn't seem excessive.

I took my car to its first autocross with 750 miles on it, and last week finished third at the North East Divisional Solo Championships. You tell me if following Honda's procedure gave me a weaker motor.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by natedoggs2k,Jul 31 2004, 10:35 AM
That is interesting. Honda has a different recommendation online through Owner's Link. I wonder if that is just their general break in versus the specific language in the manual. I happened to quote that because I was using Owner's Link this morning to update my online service records and read through the FAQ's and other information.

Oh well, even though our manual states to not go into VTEC, I still recommend doing so, as I believe a more moderate or "hard" break-in period is better for the car's performance and reliability.

But we all know that this issue is split down the middle!

Good catch! I should contact Honda and tell them that the manual and online info conflicts!
That's a good idea, Nate. I suspect you're right... The web has boilerplate warnings, probably for all their cars. Give 'em a holler.

And, yes, I completely agree with you that the "proper" way to break-in the engine has been debated a lot around here and folks are split.... My recommendation to a new owner is to follow the manual, but in the end I hardly think this issue makes any real difference.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Jul 31 2004, 10:36 AM
Chazmo, you beat me to it. It's on page 120 of my '03 manual.

"Do not exceed 5,500 rpm for the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation."

I followed Honda's recommendation for break-in. I did do a fair amount of engine braking to help seat the rings. I've used about a quart of oil in 5,500 miles. Doesn't seem excessive.

I took my car to its first autocross with 750 miles on it, and last week finished third at the North East Divisional Solo Championships. You tell me if following Honda's procedure gave me a weaker motor.
Congrats, conedodger!!! Represent!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jul 31 2004, 07:31 AM
Nate,

Sorry to tell you, but you're misinformed. Page 122 of the S2000 Owner's Manual is quite clear:

"Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Do not exceed 5500 rpm fot the first 600 miles (1000km) of operation)..."
The owners manual also states:

Do not brake hard for the first 200 miles.

Do not change the oil before the recommended service interval (7,500 miles)

Old 07-31-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

The excitement you have going on Welcome aboard
A new Vtec Monster on the lose
Old 07-31-2004, 01:42 PM

Old 07-31-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by RACER,Jul 31 2004, 05:11 PM
The owners manual also states:

Do not brake hard for the first 200 miles.

Do not change the oil before the recommended service interval (7,500 miles)

Well, racer, you're entitled to your opinion, but I wouldn't pull the BS flag on the owner's manual. From your post, I'm not sure if you're rejecting all their recommendations or not, but I'd think a brand new owner probably wants to keep his warrantee and wants to treat his new car to the best of his ability.

I don't actually remember the hard braking warning, but the 7500 mile interval is only if you don't qualify as "extreme" driving conditions. I would claim that most of us here do qualify, especially those who start racing or simply driving hard. There is also some question about whether the break-in oil fill retains some of the Molybdenum that was used in manufacturing the engine (and is good for it during break-in), which is why Honda recommends leaving it in. The simple fact is that by 7500 miles you would've burned off a good amount of that initial fill anyway.

BTW, I did a full oil change at 3000 miles; the oil was like syrup, despite having added about half a quart or more during that period.

Quick Reply: I actually did it this time