S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I have critters living under my Hood!

Old 02-28-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
I suggest you pop the lid off your air filter box and have look there too.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:13 PM

hahaha, good luck trying to get them out....i know i would be a little frustrated if that happened to me
Old 02-28-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a box of D-Con in there (but keep it away from pets).
I had a mouse problem with my WRX, acorns and crap on the engine.
I caught three with sticky traps under the hood and they still kept coming back
as there was evidence that two escaped the traps, so I switched to the poison pellets.
Four boxes of D-Con were consumed by the critters in a week, then they were gone forever. You have to wipe out all the ones that have learned that it's nice to live in your car, and there are a lot more of them than you would want to imagine. Weapons of mass destruction really are the only effective solution. I don't know why they even sell mousetraps anymore.

MG
Old 02-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Yeah so what do you do when one of the critters that have ingested poison finds its way into a crevace you can't see or reach? A week or two and you'll have a godawful stench. Traps at least prevent them from getting into something else and dying.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:11 PM

I had a mouse live under the hood of my '02 Civic Si. Unfortunately for him, he got too close to the motor one time and he got FRIED!
Old 02-28-2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by S2K1
I had a mouse live under the hood of my '02 Civic Si. Unfortunately for him, he got too close to the motor one time and he got FRIED!
Hmm, reminds me of the ole "fan belt cat" scenario
Old 02-28-2004, 07:10 PM

Don't underestimate the dogs, get those critters out of there as soon as you can.
YES! I have seen this happen! My buddy had a late 80's Mekur XR4ti that was stored in his pole barn for winter. He got a field mouse embedded in his backseat/trunk. His 2 shepard/terrier mixes (what a scrappy pair of mongrels ) must've spent all of their free time that winter chewing apart that car!

Well this is the same guy that at any given time of the day one or both of those mutts was standing on the kitchen table eating leftovers from the last meal. It was like Wild Kingdom!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Old 02-28-2004, 11:51 PM

there was a case here in the uk a while back a car got infested with squirells who proceeded to eat away all the electrics (they like the plastic coating for nesting material ) it was so bad the car had to be scrapped (fairly new car) whats worse is that the car wasnt covered by the insurance as it was attacked by animals
Old 02-29-2004, 12:10 AM

One of the biggest problems they had with computer failure in Japan was rats gnawing through the large and fat BMC cables.

It seems they emitted a signal frequency which is very close to the mating squeak of a female rat (this is not a joke). They eventually solved the problem by moving to fibre optic cables but in the meantime it did result in some pretty interesting patents for a "better mouse trap".

Quick Reply: I have critters living under my Hood!