S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I have a dilemna(long)

Old 06-14-2001, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a dilemna(long)

Ok folks. Need some of your opinions and feedback. Absolutely no flames intended but after i graduate from college my parents told me that they would "help" me buy a new car. Now, here's the dilemna. I always loved the S2000, since it's concept days. I have faced belittlement from friends and peers, telling me that a honda has no class and no low end torque, etc. ( the regular S2000 bashing). I want one so bad i have books, posters and i dream about driving one someday. I had the liberty to get a ride in Flayer's S2000 many months back and I was absolutely thrilled. Ride was stiff and harsh, just the way I like it, and low end torque was plentiful. Engine, as loud as it may be, makes me wet my pants to the beautiful tune and melody of the four cylinder heads pumping at 9000 RPM's. Car is beautiful on the exterior and interior and has HOnda reliability. But if you had the chance to get the new M3 or maybe even an S4 ( no flames here either), what would you consider? I'm in a bind here. THe S2000 is a budget race car, compared to many cars in comparison, but it does not demean any value to it. I want this car so bad but if the opportunity of owning an M3 came up....would you take it? I would buy the S2000 myself, with my own hard owned money for I have been saving up for quite awhile. But with the parents helping out, the budget for a more expensive car is on the question. I could probably look into the new M3 or maybe even the new C32(the C32 is questionable). The new M3, as bad as BMW is with the marketing of it's 3 series and the M3, the sheer power of that motor makes me also wet my pants. If anyone has any experiences with the M3, please post opinions. I truly love the S2000 but that is with my own hard earned money which would allow me to appreciate it more. But add the money my parents would give me for graduation, I could probably afford the M3. And I have to make up my decision for I need to get on the waiting list for the M3 and maybe even the S2000, if there is a waiting list for the S2000. Any feedback is cool. JUst help me out with what you would do.
Old 06-14-2001, 01:40 AM

drove both, and still prefer the s2000. The M3 is too stable and forgiving, you don't feel challenged by the car (well in fact you DO feel tha need to push it as hard as you can...), plus inside it doesn't feel like a sports car. Frankly the feeling of being held tightly by the recaro seats, close to the ground, top down, at 9000rpm is quite hard to equal.
Old 06-14-2001, 01:41 AM

I don't know, that's a hard choice to make. For me it was like this. I wanted S2000 and new M3 just like you. So I went to the BMW dealer and found out that the waiting list is over 6 months long, and they are asking $10,000 over MSRP! So I passed and went to the Honda dealer. I got a good deal (MSRP) so I took it and never looked back. I don't think you can go wrong with M3 or S2000. I have to say that S2000 is really unique car due to it's limited production and it's 9000rpm engine. If the price of M3 wasn't so high, I think I would of gotten one my self... wait, no I like S2000...no M3, ahh! I don't know it's hard call to make. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2001, 01:51 AM

The new M3 is a wiser choice to make here, although the S2K is a highly rated convertible sports car but it will not come close to the new M3 in anyway. My colleague recently put down a USD$5,000 deposit on one and I was invited along for a test drive since I had more in-depth knowledge of whether it was a good buy or not.

We made our way down to the prestigeous BMW showroom downtown and we stole all the attention arriving in my S2K VGS while being commented along the way inside by the sales manager to a test red M3, I took the first drive while the car was warming up. It does take quite awhile for the oil temperature to fire up compared to an S2K but it was indeed worth the wait, I kept the revs at 3,000 RPM while I must say the shifting had much more "Feel" compared to my S2K.

Once the oil and water temperature warmed up for the ride, I took the car straight for the express tunnel out of the city and slowed the car back onto first at 20KM/H and punched it. Wow, I must say the full-time open throttle variable cams felt so strong and the tone was so deep and powerful quickly climbing up the revs and the tunnel provided the fast cornering needed with no effort for the M3 to glide smoothly while accelerating in and out of the corner back on a straight.

With the driver oriented interior and sophisticated electronic equipment on board, it sure is a better car even compared to the old M3. If there was any putting power on the ground more sleek and faster than the new M3 it would've been a M5 I believe in BMW terms whilst the sales manager spoke when I punched it. Of course with the hefty price tag, I feel that it is a more valued buy compared. Torque is high all around, the car feels more and more stable at high speeds dispite being on winding or straight roads. Top speed? Never got there .... Sadly, but YES to the new M3 anyday if budget permits. No questions asked.
Old 06-14-2001, 02:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M3 is a different car, so this is like comparing apples and oranges. Do you want a roadster or a hardtop? Seats for four or two? You have to answer these questions first. When you do, the answer will be very easy.
Old 06-14-2001, 02:51 AM

mrkim019, your sig doesn't indicate were you live. Is climate a consideration? Here in Minnesota, the S2000 won't be fun to drive in the winter. Then again...I don't know that I would won't to espose an M3 to the crud we drive through during the winter.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:22 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was up against the same decision you had to make and I choose the S2000. The wait for the M3 is over 10 months in South Florida and dealers are asking $10K over MSRP!
Old 06-14-2001, 03:44 AM

I recenlty tailed an M3 on the highway at 100+ for about ten minutes.

I like my stook better.

Old 06-14-2001, 03:53 AM

How important is it for you to drive a convertible?

The M3 is nice. If your parents will pay for the whole thing, go for it!
Old 06-14-2001, 05:25 AM
Tox

IMO, you should also consider what else you could do with the 15-kilobuck difference between an S2000 or an M3.

For example, you could use it as a down payment on a condo. Your monthly payments for this condo would cost about the same as it would to rent the same place, except that you would now be able to itemize on your federal and state income tax returns and therefore pay much less tax. The difference would appear immediately as less withholding from your paychecks, meaning you would have more to take home. You could then save that extra money toward your next car. There would also be the fact that you would be building equity in your condo, which you could then sell in 5 or 10 years to get a nicer place.

Meanwhile, you would hardly be suffering driving an S2K instead of an M3, right?

My point is that decisions like this have echoes far beyond what you drive. That 15 grand is your seed corn, and you don't have to eat it. I suggest you discuss these things with your parents, or some old fart who has been self-reliant for 20 years or so.

Quick Reply: I have a dilemna(long)