S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I LIKE my front license plate!!

Old 01-14-2002, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I LIKE my front license plate!!

Hi All!

As some of you might know, I have moved back from Detroit to my town very close to Amsterdam and took my S2000 with me.

As some of you might also know there are a lot of people on the board that HATE the front license plate.

As some of you might additionally know most European plates are friggin' HUGE...

But: Here is my car now with the solution I like!!!!

I got a special exeption to use small size plates, because I imported the car as moving goods. If you can't import it as such, you're SOL!!!

The Dutch small style plate is about the same width as the US plate, but about 2" less high, so it turns out to be a pretty nifty small plate. So small in fact that the front license plate holder that comes stock with the car is useless (too may gaps and black plastic showing). So I have mounted the plate straight to the mounting holes in the front bumper instead, as low as possible.

What do you guys think? Should I expect any problems with cooling? I can't hardly imagine that!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any problems with the bumper curvature?

I'm stuck with:

A huge plate, and holder. I was thinking of making a custom holder to reduce the black plastic surround, raise the plate (still legal) and clear more of the intake. But the bumper holder has 2 bolts from the front, and 2 captive nuts out either side - to pull the holder around the curvature. Makes things interesting...

-Brian.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even the plate is color coded similarly ... Looks good on the rear especially.

Old 01-14-2002, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
Even the plate is color coded .

My very thought. Otherwise I don't much care for front plates - On my Stook or anything else!
Old 01-14-2002, 04:11 PM

Hey Siepel! That's a pretty cool Benz minivan!
Old 01-14-2002, 04:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by socal28
Hey Siepel!
Old 01-14-2002, 04:34 PM

siepel,

how many other US S2000's have you seen over there???
Old 01-14-2002, 04:35 PM
DAR

The city I live in(Culver City Ca.)has installed alot of cameras at the intersections that take a nice picture of you should you run a red light.Because of this the police really look out for cars without front plates,I was stopped once and really don't want to keep pushing my luck because it's a small department and I worry I may be remembered.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:48 PM

I LIKE your front license plate.

Looks good.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bmarshall
[B]Do you have any problems with the bumper curvature?

I'm stuck with:

A huge plate, and holder. I was thinking of making a custom holder to reduce the black plastic surround, raise the plate (still legal) and clear more of the intake. But the bumper holder has 2 bolts from the front, and 2 captive nuts out either side - to pull the holder around the curvature. Makes things interesting...

Hehehe... You just gotta love those big A$$ license plates... But you can't get away with them over here at all (unless you got an exeption like fortunate me; also in Belgium, Switzerland and Italy the front plates are slightly smaller btw). Stick on letters are not allowed. Surely some people 'modify' the plates themselves, but they risk a pretty hefty fine. On some Alfa Romeo cars it is extremely popular to put on the (for them illegal) small plates or 'do it yourself' plates, but the *law* is not impressed with that kind of stuff.

The front curvature is not really a problem for a regular plate, because they should be flexible enough. I am sure that even the regular (i.e. big A$$ plate) would fit rather nicely on the front without the holder, but you just have to make sure you bend the plate in shape before applying it. I am not sure if the bumper mounting holes are spaced wide enough to keep the long plate nice and snug, but maybe some double sided tape can be of service there.

Personally, I would not put the plate higher (if I understand correctly). I'd opt for a lower placement such as I did myself.

That Citro

Quick Reply: I LIKE my front license plate!!