S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need a radar detector !!

Old 01-27-2001, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey There are some other threads that discuss their findings in detail.
Old 01-27-2001, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck-

I'll call when it arrives. And yes I plan on doing the install sim to loki's.

I can really relate to the "ticket paranoia". I think it's way more visible than even the red! Guess thats why they make school buses yellow huh?
Old 01-27-2001, 05:19 PM

Should have got the Passport 8500, the kA is amazing and the features are far better than the V1.
Old 01-27-2001, 05:53 PM

To each his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow!

Later dude!

I gotta make a trip out to the barn....
Old 01-27-2001, 08:36 PM

Hoser:

Regarding those tests in automobile magazine and radartest.com, you can see the other side on the story by visiting the V1 website. Just visit the Testing Radars section and they will defend their unit from the attacks in these tests. They strongly criticize the methods they used for testing (with very clever arguments I have to say).
It is always good to know both sides of the story.
As somebody used to review medical research, it is of outmost importance the way you test since you can make the worst look the best and visceversa is you don't follow the basic rules of testing. Don't believe everything you read just because it WAS tested. You also need to know HOW it was tested.
If these guys have motives to be biased agaist the V1... that I don't know, therefore I can't comment on that.

Naka
Old 01-28-2001, 08:27 AM

Loki, just trying to cover your ass man! Just wanted to be sure you were as 'protected' as possible. For the record, although the V1 may be working in that position, it will work even better when set level.

With regards to the tests, well the V1 has been the benchmark for a LONG time. Of course, it will be the one most prone to attack from the competetion. Yes, it is more expensive, but it is fully programmable. You can get rid of that annoying X band altogether if it isn't used in your area.

I forgot to mention that my original V1 was stolen when my 'vette was broken into about 5 months ago. I had the opportunity to replace it with the new Passport or the 8500, but didn't. I bought another V1!

Here's why:

The directional indicators are vitally important. If you know where the threat is, you can slow down 'discretely'. For example, if the threat is in front, you can brake harder to slow as the cop can't see your brake lights, but if they are behind, you will immediately alert the cop that it is you with the radar. So you could use your handbrake to 'shave' off speed discretely. Now, if there are a bunch of cars around and the cop isn't sure who is speeding, you can bet your sweet ass that he will pull over the one whose brake lights he just saw illuminate. No brake lights and his decision about who to pull over is a lot harder.

Also, as radar can't get you side on, if your side directional indicator lights, yoiu know that you can't be ticketed. No if the cop pulls you over and you don't have the directional, you wouldn't know WHERE he first clocked you, so you have to go by what he says. Well, we've seen that not all cops are 'honest', so they could try and change the situation to suit their 'quota'!

I'd also mount the V1 with the hardwire. Mount it as stealthly as possible. If a cop can't see your detector from behind, he might be less likely to pull you over. If he sees a big ol' curly cord, that's a dead giveaway (With the S2000, it's a right pain as the powerjack is in the center console and looks pretty stupid to have a wire going through the cabin like that). The cop might go for the other car who's detector he CAN see. Also, if you DID get caught with the V1, if you have the remote mount, the main unit is rather hidden, so the cop may not even see it at all. He may just let you off. Obvioulsy, if you have the detector, a cop thinks you are more likely to be less law-abiding.

I'm sure that the new Passport is a good detector, it's just that the directional REALLY IS a great feature that does help you. For instance, yesterday I was driving along said road at about 110. Ka starts going off. The theat indicator said straight ahead, so I slowed down gradually as there were plenty of cars ahead of me in the distance (radar blinds!!!). I didn't have to draw attention to myself by slamming on the brakes and diving my nose into the ground. Fortunately, it was a Sherrif driving toward me on the other side of a barrier divided road. But if I didn't have the directional, I wouldn't have a clue where the hell the threat was coming from. Did I go PAST the cop? If he asked me what speed I was going, what would I have told him? As I knew exectly where he was, I didn't have to worry about having passed him, I knew he was ahead of me. It's a great peace of mind!!!!

Just my $0.02!
Old 01-28-2001, 09:23 AM

Another great thing about the directional arrows is it also cuts down on having to slow down. If I'm driving along and it gives me a weak signal ahead, I usually slow down because that could be a cop sitting on the other side of the hill just ahead. If it's a weak one from the rear, I don't have to slow down because it it's behind me and traveling the same direction as me, it's going to take a while to catch me and I'll get other warnings.

I think the directional arrows are great and I can't imagine having a detector that doesn't have them.

Mark
Old 01-31-2001, 06:35 PM

The goods have arrived.

For those of you that are not familiar with Valentine I'll say this. They run a top notch operation. Even the packaging exudes class......Not that that'll get you out of a ticket but its a nice touch just the same!

You may think I'm crazy but here are a couple of shots of the packaging. Hey I'm a design guy I get into this kind of stuff!

The Box

The Insurance

I've got a couple of questions.

1. Why not locate the concealed display on the steering column directly in front or the insturment panel? Seems that most put it on the dash or something.

2. Why not locate the detector directly below the rearview mirror? Most I've seen are to the left of the mirror below the visor.

I'll post more when I get this baby installed.

Chuck, you out there?

We need to have an install party ASAP.
Old 01-31-2001, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mack
[B]The goods have arrived.
Old 01-31-2001, 07:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

I have had my Bel 730 for a long time now. Its very loud!(one down side to all the new ones) The jack asses put the speaker on the right side of the detector AWAY from the driver! One question...WHY!

If I was to do it I would get the 890. The tests just confirm my feelings. Around here we dont get much lazer and tons of X band!(falses) Directional stuff...I could care less!

Quick Reply: I need a radar detector !!