S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

IAT sensor might be the culprit

Old 05-22-2001, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those suffering intermittent stumbling or hesitation from their stook during bumper to bumper traffic on a hot day, the culprit might be a defective IAT (Intake air temperature) sensor.

In my case, I'm quite sure it isn't the MAP sensor since a switch with the MAP sensor of a CRV did not yield any stumbling on the CRV nor did it cure the stumbling on my stook.

Furthermore, there might be a need to reprogram the computer box of the stook because I was told by our mechanic that a code 10 - Power Train system - subsystem 5A registered a value of 16 from a 1 to 12 normal operating parameter. Duh? I know a lot of you are scratching your heads with this but I'll try to get the full details of the problem within the week.

If you don't suffer from acceleration hesitation or stumbling on 1st or 2nd gear, don't bother trying to understand what I'm saying.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:14 AM

motorheads... kinda interesting though...

Mine stumbles from time to time but then I remember to HIT THE GAS and !!!
Old 05-22-2001, 11:18 AM

Skitz,

In my case, hitting the gas only aggravates the stumbling. The only way I could rectify the problem is if I depress the clutch again, rev the car a bit and slowly let go of clutch.

Trust me, if you suffer from this problem, it sucks big time! Makes you look like you can't drive a stick.
Old 05-22-2001, 12:57 PM

I was having a hesitation problem too. I took the car to the dealer and I had the IAT sensor replaced under warranty. I no longer have any problems idling.

Just my $02.
Old 05-22-2001, 01:30 PM

That's great news. I hope that it works for me. You'll be really aggravated once you get stuck in traffic jams in 90-100 degree days and this hesitation/stumbling occurs.

I'm off to my dealer... Wish me luck!
Old 05-22-2001, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by edasaurus
I was having a hesitation problem too. I took the car to the dealer and I had the IAT sensor replaced under warranty. I no longer have any problems idling.

Just my $02.

Wonder if those with supercharged engines suffering with the bumbles and stumbles would find this interesting?

2x6spds
Old 05-22-2001, 04:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How about a Helm Manual reference? Can't find the IAT your referring to?
Old 05-22-2001, 05:02 PM

Um, you know how the throttle is so sensitive? Could it just be that there's a positive feedback effect between the car surging back and forth and your foot moving on the accelerator? This happens to me from time to time (especially if I hit a small bump) and the only solution is to back off and try again. Sounds consistent with what you guys are mentioning.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:31 PM

Naishou,

The stumbling is very pronounced. It's not induced by bumps that causes you to let go of the clutch too early or to step on the gas too hard.

Actually, the problem is 2 fold. First, the car cannot maintain a constant idle of 900 to 1000rpms. The revs drop way below 500rpms and the engine will die.

Second, idle is constant but accelerating on 1st or 2nd gear on bumper to bumper traffic causes the vehicle to stumble. This feels like one of the cylinders is misfiring.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:50 PM

I see. Luckily I'm not getting that. Let us know if a new sensor fixes it for you.

Quick Reply: IAT sensor might be the culprit