S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Idea for new board section on each owner's car: what do you think

Old 01-06-2002, 04:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When Greg Stevens began the thread about shortening our signatures, particularly those with all the pictures of the member's car and the lengthy descriptions of mods, I began wondering if there wasn't a better and more space efficient way to allow us, both for pride and the benefit of others, to post information and pictures about our cars and what we've done to them. Generally, we get some ideas about what others have done by reading their posts over time, but there's not any one place where we can do a look-up on someone's car or do a search for people, for example, who have put a certain kind of exhaust on their car.

My idea is that we add a "MyCar" section to the site, perhaps as part of MYS200, that would allow each member to post information and photos about their cars that they'd like to make available for others to see. the information would have to be posted in a consistent, structured format, so that each member's "MyCar" page followed the same general content and organization rules. We could then put restrictions on signatures and allow each owner to put a link to his or her "MyCar" page in the signature.

Each "MyCar" page might start with basic information, such as date of purchase or lease, dealer where purchased and serviced, purchase price, amount of current miles, TSBs performed to date. It might then have a modifications section divided into various categories such as engine, wheels and tires, lights, sound system, suspension, radar systems, interior and exterior cosmetic, etc. Finally, space would be provided for photos (which might have to be limited in number to conserve space). This could then become a searchable data base, so, for example, someone looking for information on the Euro clear corner install could find the owners who had done this mod, see photos, and perhaps contact some of them to ask questions. As silly as it sounds, I know there are some owners worried about security or the prying eyes of AHM. To help them, a security feature could be added to this information so that permission would have to be requested and then granted by the owner before anyone could access his or her page.

I know I would like to do this. What do you think? Erik?
Old 01-06-2002, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, good plan. I've been planning this for a while. I'm almost to the point where we can do it. Space is no object, no need for limitaions there. It's bandwidth that costs money, disk space is so cheap as to be inconsequential. I've got much of the plan already done for such a feature. Coming soon...
Old 01-06-2002, 05:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic, cthree. Why doesn't it surprise me that you're already planning this?
Old 01-06-2002, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]Fantastic, cthree.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cthree,

Recently, we have had some really good suggestions presented such as this one and the one suggesting a dealer ratings database. Think that this is a sign of the site maturing and we need to jump on these suggestions ASAP so as to keep this the preeminent S2K site on the web. If we don't, someone else will! Let me know if you need help. For everyone's information the sites pertaining to the dealer ratings database suggestion were:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=41203

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=40627
Old 01-06-2002, 10:30 AM

I would love to be able to access a gallery like Rick described. Great idea!
Old 01-06-2002, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by cthree
Yes, good plan. I've been planning this for a while. I'm almost to the point where we can do it. Space is no object, no need for limitaions there. It's bandwidth that costs money, disk space is so cheap as to be inconsequential. I've got much of the plan already done for such a feature. Coming soon...
I am assuming that this site is located in CA. Could it be colocated somewhere else that has bandwidth?
Old 01-06-2002, 10:42 AM

the plan sounds good,

Rick,

when do you think it will be implemented?
Old 01-06-2002, 11:10 AM

Thats a sweet idea!! I can't wait. Good thought Rick!

Old 01-06-2002, 11:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taylor01
[B]

I am assuming that this site is located in CA.

Quick Reply: Idea for new board section on each owner's car: what do you think