S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I'm stumped guys... keep the s2k or get an rsx?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm stumped guys... keep the s2k or get an rsx?

ok well heres how it goes, i owned an rsx automatic until i recently just got an s2000 in october, b/c i couldn't wait until spring and needed to HAVE it now, well come to find out i think i made a wrong decision...

i mean i love the s2k to death and im confused as hell right now because i want to keep the damn car b/c i love it, but i need a reality check, its a fun asss car to drive, i love the convertible top, its a great all around car, but the biggest problem for me, is that mods are wayyyy to expensive, the lack of space that it has, winter is another thing its not good to drive it, i dont really want a beater (cant afford to get one at the moment), plus i hate driving the s2k into the city everyday for work, i dont feel comfortable with a sports car in a parking lot in the downtown city everyday, i mean im kinda debating if i really should get a type-s or not, its better for daily driving, doesnt attract as much attention as the s2k does in new haven, its got the space, can be driven in winter, very mod friendly and mods are not as expensive as they are for the s2k.. i really dont know what to do, i love both cars to death, but im stuck....

i mean i can get 28g for my car as a trade in if i wanted to, but then i still owe 20, so i only have 8g as a trade in towards a type-s if i can find one for 19-20 with low mileage then id only owe 12g which would save me 8g, i also want a house when im 23-24 so id rather save up than keep spending it now on a car.

What i should have done was kept my rsx until spring b/c it would have been paid off by then. then i could have gotten the s2k, with a beater, but since i didnt do that i screwed myself over.

money isnt really an issue on whether i can keep the car or not, its everything else that surrounds me and the car.

thanks alot guys for the help
Old 11-29-2006, 09:06 PM

Old 11-29-2006, 09:17 PM

i see three options... you sound like you already decided on option 3

1) keep the car, save for a beater

2) sell the car, buy a beater, save for house, then buy better car

3) trade the car, save for house
Old 11-29-2006, 09:19 PM

First, 28k for a "Trade-in" is wishful thinking. 28K for a private party sell is more attainable.

Second, if I wanted a winter car with some room I'd be looking at a used WRX or STI.

Third, if I was able to own a house in a few years I wouldn't have any car payment whatsoever. But you say that money isn't a problem, so that point seems moot.

Lastly, even though you say you can't afford a beater you can sell your '06, get a 00-03 S2000 and a beater, and probably pay less what you are right now.

It seems that there are more minuses than pluses in your current situation to own the S. That's not bad however, maybe in a couple years you'll find your self in a situation where you'll feel more comfortable with the car. However seeing as you're young, the trends state that the older you get (25-40years old) the more doors your car will have. That is, until your midlife crisis.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:19 PM

id keep it. im guessing you ment the s2k was a fun car to drive > rsx
Old 11-29-2006, 09:25 PM

[QUOTE=donger274,Nov 29 2006, 10:19 PM]id keep it.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:36 PM

I think you should consider getting a beater. Driving the S2000 in the winter is not the best idea, especially when it snows. If you get a cheap car (maybe late 90's prelude/civic/accord) you can use that for winter driving and days when you don't want the S2K to get beat up. Doing so can actually save on insurance. My insurance company considers my beater ('93 Prelude VTEC) to be my primary car and it's actually cheaper to insurance both cars as opposed to the S2k alone. Saves me about $500 - $1000 per year to insure the two cars instead of just the S2k. Go figure .

If you really want to save the money then maybe trading in is the right decision, but the question is whether you are going to want one again down the road, maybe when the nice weather comes around again. I traded in my first S2k a few years back only to end up getting another one about a year later because I like the car so much.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:36 PM

looks like you didnt do enough research or thinking for that matter before buying the car. you should have known that you'd be driving that car during the winter and parking downtown.

i honestly think that if you get rid of the s2k now, you're going to regret it once spring/summer hits. then you're going to repost another thread saying you should of kept the s2k.

what im trying to say is, whatever you decide, make sure its practical for you in both winter and summer. the s2k is a great car but not everyone is able to enjoy it. sometimes, i even wish i got a larger car for the winter but its okay, i can manage.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. you said you can't afford to get a beater.

2. you listed several reasons why the S is impractical for your current situation+environment+commute.

BUT you say that $$$$ isn't a issue??

if it's not an issue, get a beater/daily driver.

if don't have the $$$$, sell the S and get a cheaper & more practical car.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

p.s. the guys that told you to just keep the S don't appear to live in the same conditions as you.

Convertibles & sports cars can be driven virtually year round in CA & Hawaii. The same definitely can not be said for the majority of other spots in the US, esp the East Coast & Midwest.

Do a reality check and make up your own mind.

Quick Reply: I'm stumped guys... keep the s2k or get an rsx?