S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Improper jacking

Old 07-17-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Improper jacking

So unfortunately I'm one of the victims of the dreaded s2000 misinterpreted jacking points. I bought my car without noticing it unfortunately (I know I know...) and looking back at photos of the car while it was still for sale I can almost make out the damage. At first I thought I might've hit something in the road and was blaming myself, but it's definitely in line with not using the proper jack point. Regardless I wouldn't have walked away from the purchase as it's an otherwise pristine 02 GPW w/ all red interior.

So what have you guys done? The crumble is actually pretty bad, I'd imagine the fender will be need to be removed and "massaged" back into shape. Or I can just replace the fender. The only thing that burns my ass is all of the vin stickers are intact on the car, but I'll just keep the original fender I guess if anyone wants some history if I ever decide to sell the car, and maybe in the interim get that one fixed somehow...Ultimately I'm going to be keeping the car, so all of those stickers being intact doesn't mean much to me, but it's still annoying.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:34 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

That's some tough luck. But if you'd known before buying and rejected the car as a result then there's no telling how long it would be until another one came along that would be as desirable to you. Do you have any photos of the damage that you can post?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:11 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
That's some tough luck. But if you'd known before buying and rejected the car as a result then there's no telling how long it would be until another one came along that would be as desirable to you. Do you have any photos of the damage that you can post?
I felt the same about it. Ultimately it’s just cosmetic damage but I wouldn’t pass it up regardless.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks like an easy fix. Probably without paint work. I would take it to a local Paint Less Dent Shop. They may have to remove the fender, but I'm sure they can do it. Even if it needs paint, it would be easy to mask along the stone guard and not require repainting the whole fender.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like an easy repair. The front fenders is a single layer of sheet metal, so should be easy to remove. At least it isn't the rocker panel like this, I see this fairly often, and to fix that, you need to cut out the entire panel and weld in a new one:

Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

So do people put the jack under the rocker or fender instead of the pinch welds? I was always confused when people talked about the "misintertrepted jack points" on this car, since it is no different than any other car in recent decades :P Never understood why it seemed it happened more on this car than others.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Since its on the bottom of car, I wouod first try one of those diy paintless debt remover tools. Can be found on Amazon for around $20. Its a tool that you hotglue a stud to the center of dent, then attach a puller that straddles the stud, and pulls it, using the undamaged area of body to push against. Then they have a product that loosens the glue to remove stud. People report decent success with these, depending on type of dent. Your dent seems like its doable.

I bet you could make it look acceptable with just doing that. May take a couple tries to get all of it.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I would just leave it. It's not that noticeable and you will never know if any attempt to fix it will make it worse. You won't know how is going to turn out via dentless. Even if you replaced the entire fender, paint might not match.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
So do people put the jack under the rocker or fender instead of the pinch welds? I was always confused when people talked about the "misintertrepted jack points" on this car, since it is no different than any other car in recent decades :P Never understood why it seemed it happened more on this car than others.

Look at the front jack points.

The rearward one is a jack point.

The frontward one looks like a jack point. But if you try and lift the car, you'll find that it was just some hilarious practical joke perpetuated by some jerk engineer.

Rocker panels are damaged by hitting/running over something. Irrelevant to jacking the car.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Look at the front jack points.

The rearward one is a jack point.

The frontward one looks like a jack point. But if you try and lift the car, you'll find that it was just some hilarious practical joke perpetuated by some jerk engineer.

Rocker panels are damaged by hitting/running over something. Irrelevant to jacking the car.

It is an easy mistake to make. I’m not surprised there is confusion.

Quick Reply: Improper jacking