S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Installed AEM CAE and removed front spoiler, by-by to RM HAE

Old 11-10-2001, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the AEM intake today (purchased from Ben/Bulletproof), and while I had the front bumper off, decided I liked the look of the car without the front spoiler, so I left it off. Since it is largely non-functional anyway, I don't miss the spolier a bit.

The AEM install took about three hours, largely because we took our time to do the job right. My friend Nick Alban, who did the clear corner install on Reedz's car at the Fall Colors meet, helped me out. The intake is very well made, with a beautiful powder coated finish (I installed the red version).

As some of you know, I had the RM HAE (hot air intake) on my car, and although I loved the way it looked, I knew it was sucking beaucoup hot air out of the engine bay, and was therefore happy to see it go.

My butt dyno tells me the car pulls stronger at the low end. Of course, the weather is cool here now, so I won't feel the full impact of the AEM intake untill next spring and summer.

The sound with the AEM is phenomenal -- it makes a mid-tone hum at idle, and when you hit V-TEC, it roars. It's a much better sound than even the RM, which I thought was quite good. With the Supersprint exhaust, my baby sounds downright mean now.

Incidentally, I have both the RM front frame cover and the Comptech front strut bar, and I was able to fit the AEM piping through it all without any modifications to anything. It's a very tight fit, but it works. To protect the pipe and surrounding part where it passes between the back of the radiator fan frame and the front of the RM frame cover, I glued some cut pieces of spare rubber hose on the sharp edges where they might rub the AEM pipe.

Here are a few photos. First, a view from the front and a comparative view of the RM HAE setup I removed for the AEM.

AEM:

RM (RIP)

The AEM runs down between the two radiator fans, along the base of the radiator, into the compartment on the passenger side behind the phony air vent.

Old 11-10-2001, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

I met with a senior administrator from Virginia Tech yesterday, so I had the wrong tech on my mind .
Old 11-10-2001, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you're happy with the CAI. Could you post some pics of the red CAI? I haven't seen that color yet.

Just remember that you have more power now when you go through those parade laps.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm very happy. The red is quite striking. It's also amazing at how open the engine bay looks, even compared to how it looked with the RM HAE. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]I'm very happy.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah, Nick and I thought there would be plenty of room to squeeze a V-6 in there and still keep the engine behind the front axle.
Old 11-10-2001, 08:28 PM
Ben

Glad its working out for you Rick.

I look forward to the pictures.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:25 AM

Rick, did you try to seal out the air filter area from the wheel well? Also, what did you do to prevent getting waterlocked?
Old 11-11-2001, 08:22 AM
Former Sponsor

I did nothing. Based on the posts I read here, this is not a problem unless you run through major puddles. Since I avoid taking her out in the rain anyway, I'm not concerned, although I may make a cover for the vent to use in the event I do get caught in a major downpour.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Photos have been posted top.

Quick Reply: Installed AEM CAE and removed front spoiler, by-by to RM HAE