S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Installed rear speakers behind the seats: vast improvement in sound

Old 06-24-2001, 03:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed rear speakers behind the seats: vast improvement in sound

With the New Hope meet cancelled yesterday morning, I used the found time to do my installation of two mid range speakers on the panels under the roll hoops behind the seats, following Lucid's post on this topic several weeks ago: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...t=Rear+speakers.

This makes a huge difference in the sound staging, as Lucid and others who have done this noted. Thanks, Lucid, for getting me onto this! As first, I wondered how well it would sound, given that the speakers are so close to the back of the seats. But the sound relfects upward and is quite impressive, especially at speed with the top down. I highly recommend this install if you want rear speakers.

Here are some photos of the job.

The two rear panels come off easily. The so called "coat hangers" (yes, that's what Honda calls them) have a hinged panel on the underside. You pop that loose, then remove the single screw that attaches the hook. You can then pop the panel off -- it's held in place by four snap-on connections, one at each corner.

When the panels are off, here a picture of what you find. The space is small, and the magnets on the 4" MB Quart mid-ranges I installed barely fit, so I had to take careful measurements to be sure the mounting hole for the speakers was exactly in the right place.

Here's the passenger side view. The driver's side is a mirror image of this.

One of the speakers (MB Quart QM100) mounted on the panels. After measuring very carefully (at least three times) I cut the hole with a jig saw and it was quite easy to do:

Here's the driver's side panel with speaker ready to reinstall. Note that everything was carefully wired and cabled.

A closer view of the driver's side panel with the new speaker installation:

Finally, here's a view of the rear section with both speakers:

Now, I have a question. I have a four channel amp, a Pioneer GMX944. With a sub-woofer bridged to the rear speaker outputs of the amp, I can't figure out a way to drive the new rear speakers without disconnecting the sub. Since I've lost the wiring instructions for the amp, I don't even know if it's possible. Is there some way to do this, or do I have to buy a separate amp to drive the sub? Pinky? Anybody? Advice desperately needed!
Old 06-24-2001, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]Now, I have a question.
Old 06-24-2001, 03:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice installation Rick.

You have two choices, both require the purchase of another amp to do the job correctly.

1) Use the existing amp to drive the fronts and the sub and add a 2 channel amp to drive the new rear speakers.

2) Buy a new amp for the sub and use the existing amp to drive the door and new rear speakers.

The trick in both of these upgrades is to make sure the correct signals go to the correct amplifiers. I'm not familiar with your specific head unit, but it should have fadable low level outputs for the front and rear speakers. If it also has a low level sub output, your job is easy. If not, I'll defer recommendations to others. Just add the appropriate RCA cable to the correct amp and you'll be set.

Now you have the enjoyable task of selecting a mounting location for the new amp and running power, ground, the head unit output, and speaker/sub cables to the new amp. Since your existing amp is probably in the trunk (???) I'd suggest the place that I used for my small 2 channelamp - behind the metal that is behind the driver's side panel that you just removed and to the side of the fuel tank. It's an otherwise unused space accessed through the trunk.

Here's a link to my posting on my amp install http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=6904

And a link to Siepel's website with pictures of the mounting location, http://www.xs4all.nl/~pwb/s2000/24feb01.html

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2001, 06:07 AM

Just wondering if it would be possible to mount speakers behind those two vents in the same panels? I hate cutting holes and am just wondering if you think that would be possible?
Old 06-24-2001, 08:30 AM

Rick,

There are a couple of other possibilities. If your amp can't handle 2 ohms you can wire each side in series although you will lose a little power. Also, are you using component speakers up front and do you want your rear speakers to be full range or just handle mid-range frequencies?
Old 06-24-2001, 05:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Alpine 5-channel amp is looking mighty tempting .
Old 06-24-2001, 07:39 PM

Alpine's five-channel is the MRV-F357. If you like Alpine, get the older version, the MRV-F353. That's what I have in my car, and you should be able to get a great deal on it.

I'm planning on changing some of my system out for new stuff, but not until money comes. If I had it now, I'd sell you my Alpine dirt cheap.
Old 06-24-2001, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool rick, and thanks for the info Siper!

the older model is going for 200 bucks on ebay and on mysimon.com I found the newer one for 309.00 - not bad for that amp.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:33 AM

Haha! I love it! Thanks for backing up me up Rick. It was a matter of personal pride for me -that this is a worthwhile setup. If you've gone this far, how bout trying the rear tweeters...

or console mid/tweets :

Rick wrap some electrical tape on the terminals of those "just in case" it is close to the metal and you dont want to risk anything.

I'm driving my rear 4"s and tweeters with a seperate 2 channel amp. I have 2 amps in the trunk now - the other for the sub. I paid $75 for an amp at walmart to power the rears. Its 100x2 peak so probably around 45-50 rms. yeah you can spend double or triple that on a sony or whatever, but it sounds fine to me.

The ulimate rear speaker setup is a component system with the tweeter in the rollball and 4" in the panel with a seperate amp driving it.

Once you have an amp driving those rears its awesome, you feel it right through you. It can probably defibrillate your heart! Whoo hoo!

I have a few extra panels on hand to make up more of these, if anyone doesn't want to cut up their car and wants 'em plug n' play - drop me an email. Let me know which speakers though - 4" only!

Jim
Old 06-25-2001, 08:10 PM

lucid and Rick, you guys ARE THE MAN!

I just got done with this mode and it is incredible (much better than two speakers up front). Last year I installed an Alpine amp, MRP-T406, with two 6.5" MB Quart speakers in the doors. A lot better than stock, but difficult to hear at speed. Especially since your leg pretty much blocks the drivers side.

Since then I have been waiting for someone to come up with a rear speaker placement. I used MB Quart RKC 110 two ways with crossovers. Pricey, but what isn't? The Alpine that I bought last year is only a two channel. I connected both the left speakers to the left channel and both right speakers to the right channel. It seems to work great.

I can actually hear the stereo now for the first time!! I highly recommend this to anyone in need of better sound.

Thanks a lot guys for sharing this with us!

Quick Reply: Installed rear speakers behind the seats: vast improvement in sound