S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

insurance questions

Old 04-01-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance questions

does anyone is an expert on insurance? I am thinking to get my premium lower this year because I have been paying almost 5Gs a year, and i am 22 and the car is paid off under my name. So I heard if i change it to under my parent's name then it'll be cheaper? but i dont want my parents to take any responsibility on me though because they have property and if I got into an accident I dont want people to sue them. and I prefer full cover though. I am thinking of getting a 2nd vehicle like a old used car to under my name and the S to under my parent's name, so the 2nd vehicle will be my primary vehicle and i just drive the s2k sometimes. will this work? or any other suggestion? or advice? thanks guys!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:07 PM

i'm 23, and just got an S. i'm paying for it myself, and i'm paying for insurance myself. however, the insurance is under my dad's name. and it is incredibly cheap. let me put it this way, i will be paying for insurance on two cars, and both of them total is a good amount less than $100/month. the S has full coverage, the other car only liability i think. so, go for it. it'll save you lots of money if you're paying $5k a year! that is nuts.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Have all your cars insured under your parents' policy will save you a lot of money. Specially, if your parents home is insured with the same company, then they can buy $1million umbrella coverage for about $200 to $300. Talk to your parents insurance company about umbrella insurance.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by TR-S2K,Apr 1 2005, 03:56 PM
Have all your cars insured under your parents' policy will save you a lot of money. Specially, if your parents home is insured with the same company, then they can buy $1million umbrella coverage for about $200 to $300. Talk to your parents insurance company about umbrella insurance.
the home insurance you meant was the fire insurance for home right?I am using AAA as well as my parent for the auto insurance, but the fire insurance is not AAA. and my parent have only 1 vehicle which is a 2002 Honda Oddesey, but his rate was alot cheaper, so all i need to do just change the s2k's tittle to my parent and cancel my own policy to be under my parent's policy then it'll be alot cheaper right? do i have to change the car's tittle in order for my to under my parent's policy?do i have to tell AAA that i'll be driving the S2k? because b4 i was under my parent's policy and the rate was about the same, but maybe the cars b4 was newer?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by benighted,Apr 1 2005, 03:07 PM
i'm 23, and just got an S. i'm paying for it myself, and i'm paying for insurance myself. however, the insurance is under my dad's name. and it is incredibly cheap. let me put it this way, i will be paying for insurance on two cars, and both of them total is a good amount less than $100/month. the S has full coverage, the other car only liability i think. so, go for it. it'll save you lots of money if you're paying $5k a year! that is nuts.
ben, dont you have to have your own policy if the tittle of your car is under your name? thats what my insurance company told m before.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:07 PM

what might've happened is that since both mine and my dad's name were on the application for the loan, they might've just taken his name and used that for the insurance policy. my bank owns my title and keeps that until the car is fully paid off.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:10 PM
AMG

Originally Posted by s2kturbofire,Apr 1 2005, 02:54 PM
does anyone is an expert on insurance? I am thinking to get my premium lower this year because I have been paying almost 5Gs a year, and i am 22 and the car is paid off under my name.
As the vehicle is titled in your name you must be the primary driver on the policy (in every state I know of).

Who is your insurer? What is your driving record like? That's INCREDIBLY high for insurance on an S2000...I just switched agencies yesterday and saved a ton of money...(NOT GEICO!).

If your driving record contains more than a couple minor speeding tickets you're going to get stuck until the following happens:

- You become 25 years of age
- You become married

When I was your age I had a Cadillac Seville SLS (Northstar is almost as fun as the S2000...well...not really...). I'd paid about $2200 a year.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by AMG,Apr 1 2005, 05:10 PM
As the vehicle is titled in your name you must be the primary driver on the policy (in every state I know of).

Who is your insurer? What is your driving record like? That's INCREDIBLY high for insurance on an S2000...I just switched agencies yesterday and saved a ton of money...(NOT GEICO!).

If your driving record contains more than a couple minor speeding tickets you're going to get stuck until the following happens:

- You become 25 years of age
- You become married

When I was your age I had a Cadillac Seville SLS (Northstar is almost as fun as the S2000...well...not really...). I'd paid about $2200 a year.
I prefer AAA, and I've had two solo lost which i crashed two time myself in some slippery roads in my previous cars with the same insurance company. I never have any speeding ticket, so any expert have some solid any suggestions? thanks very much!