S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

insurance quotes

Old 01-13-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance quotes

So I need to get insurance ASAP since I just financed my s2000. And so I got a quote and I would like to know if it's any good.
Their giving me a policy of $200 a month
I am 23 with no tickets, the car is 2001.
It's full coverage and $500 deductible.covering $15000 with injuries for any party.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

This question comes up rather frequently and the answer is particularly difficult to give since your insurance rates are based on highly specific pieces of information to you, your location, alarm, garage or street, second vehicle, pleasure or daily, amount of miles to be driven, driving history, other drivers in your same home... and the list is pretty extensive. Unless someone on here happens to be an insurance agent who specializes in car insurance and knows your area, chances are the info you get here about price is not going to be exceptionally helpful.

One thing you can do is get the particulars of your quoted coverage and call around for quotes that match that coverage and see who gives the best price. But keep in mind that best price doesn't mean best insurance coverage. Some providers are better than others.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Shop around and compare quotes...try the big names like Progressive, Geico, and State Farm.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Shop around and compare quotes...try the big names like Progressive, Geico, and State Farm.
Yup. And Mercury. At my independent agent's suggestion, I have my cars and my renters insurance with Mercury so I get a multi-policy discount (most of the big insurance companies do that). Believe it or not, when I *added* renters insurance, my car insurance cost dropped enough that not only did the difference negate the additional cost of the renter's insurance, but made my over all insurance costs LESS by $100 a year than before I added it.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

word of advice, most people carry only minimum amount of coverage of insurance. so if your in a bad crash, and your medical expenses are crazy high and its their fault, you can't get any more from them or their insurance for what amount they have. that's where your insurance has to take up the difference. advice, get the most under insured coverage you can afford. I went thru a bike wreck and the driver only had 50k in insurance. so my lawyer got 25k and the hospital got the other 25k. if it weren't for my coverage I would have been screwed! trust me and amp up your policy. great piece of mind.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had many insurance quotes in the past and I've found that Nationwide is by far the cheapest for me. I am 23 with no tickets, an at fault accident that was just over 5 years ago (so it has dropped off), lojack installed (took very little off my premium), and daily drive the S2000 at a claimed 6 to 8k per year. I pay $98 a month with a $250 comp, $500 collision deductible, roadside assistance + 100 miles free towing, 50/100k bodily injury, and 100k property damage coverage. I live in california btw. Esurance was cheap for me too in the past but its a kinda janky company imo.

Edit: I should also mention that my policy started at age 21 at about $140 a month and it has gone down from there with their "elite driver" discounts, etc. I have a "good student" discount too which is available in california and knocks off like 15% of the premium.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony_s2k
And so I got a quote and I would like to know if it's any good.
As with every insurance discussion there are too many variables and your OP doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. All we can say is the usual: Get more quotes and compare.

Originally Posted by RMurphy
This question comes up rather frequently and the answer is particularly difficult to give since your insurance rates are based on highly specific pieces of information to you, your location, alarm, garage or street, second vehicle, pleasure or daily, amount of miles to be driven, driving history, other drivers in your same home... and the list is pretty extensive.
Credit, specific coverage amounts (bodily, property, UIM bodily, UIM property, PIP, medical and so on), additional features (roadside, accident forgiveness, rental coverage and so on), discounts for other insurance products, etc.

Yup. And Mercury.
...and USAA if you qualify.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

As mentioned, age, location, marriage status, credit are all big factors.

I'm over 50, married, S2000 is listed as pleasure use, credit score well north of 800, I pay about $350 a year with a million dollar umbrella plan.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM

I've seen this movie before.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I've seen this movie before.

A good comedy is fun to see over and over.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself about financing an 11 year old car and laying out $2400 a year to insure it.

Quick Reply: insurance quotes