S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Insurance related question

Old 09-29-2004, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance related question

I've not found any really good resources for insurance questions on the net, so I'll ask you guys..
A while back, while I was in a store, my parked S got hit in the rear and the guy took off. Because the guy had taken off, my insurance company said that it couldn't be placed under uninsured motorist (some indiana law??), so they put the claim on my collision. So I paid the 500 and got it fixed. Now I'm shopping around for another insurance carrier and they see that collision on my record and jack up my quote big time. Did I get screwed, or is this just the way insurance works? I wasn't at fault but now there is a collision on my record (the only one BTW). I'm with Geico in Indiana, by the way. Oh, and Geico didn't jack up my rates, but I don't like the idea of not being able to shop around to another place. Anyone with some knowledge.. please drop it on me.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this collision must be on your driving record. I'd try to get that fixed.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:06 PM
WPS

dont have the answer to your question.
just wanted to say geico sux.
ass bag?
Old 09-29-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by WPS,Sep 29 2004, 03:06 PM
dont have the answer to your question.
just wanted to say geico sux.
ass bag?
I know. I wanted to find another carrier, which is when I ran into this problem. I personally think it's horse-schit to have that hit-and-run end up as a collision, but I don't have enough knowledge of insurance to argue correctly. For all I know- them's the breaks...

I'm not old enough to know how everything in this world works, but I am old enough to know that things don't always work as they should, so that's why I wouldn't be surprised if this is just how it's got to be even though it sucks for me.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:31 PM

The reason why it is on your record is because your insurance carrier had to make a claim. Claims are always on your record for 3-5 years depending on what the carriers requirements are or what the State requirement is. What was your estimate? The reason why I ask is that when you make a claim like yours, you have to see if paying the deductible and the possibility of having a claim on your record is worth it. Usually if the total estimate is within $500 of your deductible it is better off to not report it to the insurance company and just pay it outright to the repair shop. Of course people do have different financial status then others so maybe the repair was out of your range but I do not know. Like you said Gieco did not raise your rates which is neither common or not common but you saw the effects of the claim when you went to get rates from other carriers. I would still look into getting that claim off your record but you will most likely hit a dead end. In the future it is better to figuring out the repair cost to the deductible and see if it is worth reporting a claim like that to your carrier because if you are to have another claim within the next 3-5 years you are looking at extremely high rates and the possibility of being dropped from your current carrier. Insurance has a lot of twists and turns that most people do not understand or even know exist so be careful! The other thing that you might have been able to do was, and this depends on the extent of the damage, is you could have reported it as a comprehensive claim and those usually do not go on your record. If the damage looks like something other than a car could have made the damage then you could claim it as a comprehensive claim. When you report a collision claim then you are reporting a moving violation and that is why it is probably on your record even if you are at fault or not.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:45 PM

I would also like to add that Gieco in my opinion is not on my list of favorite carriers. I am currently insured through Allstate and they have given me the lowest rates I have ever had through an insurance carrier. I would suggest a call to them. Also when you are requesting insurance rates do NOT go by the rates given on websites because those rates are always too high (I was quoted almost $300 more every 6 months than what I actually have now). It is better to just call an agent directly and that way you can explain your case in detail because even with that claim on your record the agent has the ability to adjust your rates accordingly so be sure to explain to them exactly what happened with that claim.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:50 PM

USAA saved me a bunch of money. You need to be military, ex-mil or from a family with one of these. Some others eligible too but can't remember them. GL!
Old 09-29-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dmcfan,Sep 29 2004, 03:45 PM
I would also like to add that Gieco in my opinion is not on my list of favorite carriers. I am currently insured through Allstate and they have given me the lowest rates I have ever had through an insurance carrier. I would suggest a call to them. Also when you are requesting insurance rates do NOT go by the rates given on websites because those rates are always too high (I was quoted almost $300 more every 6 months than what I actually have now). It is better to just call an agent directly and that way you can explain your case in detail because even with that claim on your record the agent has the ability to adjust your rates accordingly so be sure to explain to them exactly what happened with that claim.
Thanks for your help- and that was what I was afraid of- basically sounds like "that's just how things work".

The damage was around 2500 I think, and my deductible was obviously lower- it was 500. So it made sense for me to make that claim. It's been so long (9 months) since this happened, is time working against me?
I guess I always thought that collision should cover something that is your fault, not something like my case. Would I have a case to say that I cannot be 100% sure it was another car, since it wasn't there when I got there, and therfore it should be comprehensive? Even then I would have made a claim, though, right?

I believe what you say about if I had to make another claim in the next year or so, but I think that's a load of BS that my insurance would go up for events that are out of my control. I think their logic is that even though I'm not at fault-my behavior is such that these things happen to me more often, but how can you avoid being nailed in a parking lot. What a scam. Insurance is such a scam.

I may give all-state a call. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:14 PM

Well I am going to give you the technical definitions for both collision and comprehensive coverages. (if you are wondering yes I work in the insurance business but not auto so don't hate me )

Collision- covers damage to an insured motor vehicle caused by its impact with another vehicle or object or by its upset or overturn.

Comprehensive- covers losses to a covered auto by fire, theft, vandalism, falling objects, flood, and various other perils(a peril is a cause of loss). Comprehensive coverage is a type of open peril coverage because it covers any "direct and accidental loss" that is not caused by collision and is not specifically excluded.

Now you can see why most people get confused when the have issues with there policy and these are just definitions of the types of coverage. Now these are the "by the book" definitions and they can obviously be stated in an easier way but I just wanted you to see the true definition of both.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:19 PM

If you can afford the repair, just fix it yourself and dont report it to insurance. Even if its not your fault, they will jack up your rates during your next 6 months period. All they see it as is an "accident" regardless who is at fault. Insurance, next to lawyers is a dirty business. O wait, next to pharmaceuticals

Quick Reply: Insurance related question