S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Interest in a wind blocker that works!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interest in a wind blocker that works!

We recently bought an SLK 280 (kept the S 2000 of course!) A friend with a near identical SLK 280 bought a rear windblocker from the Mercedes dealer for $600. I wanted a blocker, but thought $600 was a bit high for what the product was. I went on ebay and found a guy who makes and sells wind blockers for most all roadsters EXCEPT the S 2000. His product is made of 1/2" acrylic (lexan is an option) and attaches to the roll bar hoops with seat belt material straps with velcro on the ends. It fully covers the rool bar hoops and the space between them. Cost was about $100 to my door.

I ordered one for my SLK, and am pleased with its appearance and function. Full retained visability. No rattles. Noticeable reduction in top-down wind buffeting from the rear.

I've been trying to talk this guy into offering this product for the S 2000. But before I talk much more, I'd like to get some idea as to whether there would be any demand for such a product among S 2000 owners.

Please respond here, pro or con, and let me know.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.ricks2k.com/home.php

I don't know if this is exactly what your talking about, so my apologies if I'm repeating what you already know.

They have seat blockers for the headrest, and a replacement screen for the middle. There are a couple of others sellers too that I can't recall right now.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 AM

Here is a link to this guy's web site. You can click on any of the thumbnails for a better view of the product.

http://stores.ebay.com/Windblockers_W0QQco...QQfsubZ0QQftidZ
Old 12-29-2007, 07:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.ricks2k.com/products/aero.php
http://www.ricks2k.com/products/aero.php#H...estWindBlockers

I think those two products combined make for a nice, OEM look, install.

There are a few photos on this site with them installed.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I think it looks terrible, I'd rather have more wind noise and not that thing on my car. Secondly, he makes one for a Z8 but not a S2000, go figure.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by dolebludger,Dec 29 2007, 08:43 AM
You can click on any of the thumbnails for a better view of the product.
Wow, that's U G L Y! Just my opinion, but the ricks piece looks about a billion times better.

I don't think that guy would care if there was a huge market for S2000's. He makes a Z8 model, how many of those even exist?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:08 AM

I think we will all agree that the Rick's unit, combined with the headrest blockers, looks better than the wind blocker in the link I have supplied. But there are "ups and downs" here. There have been many reports that the Rick's blocker is a real "bear" to install, and some owners have reported breaking the factory holder in the process. Once installed, it is permanent. On the other hand, the blocker in my post installs and removes in a minute or two, and leaves the car "bone stock." I'm one of those owners who wants to be able to return my car to bone stock rather quickly should I ever want to sell.

So that is why I am inquiring as to whether there is any interest in the blocker in my post.

[NOTE: This guy makes a Z8 model mainly because he was able to get a Z8 to examine and make a template for it. He does not stock the Z8 model, but can make one up if ordered. It will take a couple of weeks longer to get it than in ordering more common models.]
Old 12-29-2007, 08:11 AM

First of all I think it looks terrible, I'd rather have more wind noise and not that thing on my car.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I put clear acrylic in my roll hoops and it makes a good difference with my OEM screen, but one thing to remember about the S is that the windshield is so far from the driver's head that you will get turbulence no matter what. If the windshield was closer to our heads, there would be a lot less turbulance and rear wind screens would be more effective.

There's a link in my sig for my roll hoop inserts btw.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:41 AM

Saki:

Apparently, you are saying that closing the roll hoops (either with your method or the product in the link above) will do significant good without the taller Rick's wind blocker, right?

So, is installation of the taller Rick's unit worth what I understand is quite a bit of work?

[BTW, for those who think that the windblocker in my post is ugly, I can confirm that it looks much better on the SLK than the pictures on the seller's site indicate. As the SLK has a black interior and roll hoops, the whole thing just sort of disappears, and people don't even notice that it is there. Also, it is meant to be removed when not in use. Also, closing the roll hoops on the SLK would be futile and unneeded, as the headrests are tall and have no openings in them -- so the roll hoops are already closed up. Further, the SLK has no stock wind block mount as the S 2000 does, and none is made for it, so a unit like Rick's is impossible. Further, the $600 dealer windblock for the SLK has a lot of black plastic about 2" up from the bottom between the hoops, and even more black plastic on the sides adjacent to the hoops. as a result, my 5' 2" tall wife can't see out with it installed! So the windblocker in my post appears to be the best solution for the SLK. Whether it is best for the S 2000 is what I'm trying to find out on this thread.]

Quick Reply: Interest in a wind blocker that works!