S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Interest in a wind blocker that works!

Old 12-30-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the rick's wind blocker and it's really easy to install as long as you're patient. It's like building a small model car with superglue.

It definitely helps over the oem screen. Turbulence within the cabin is reduced. If I raise my right hand in the middle of the cabin when driving, there's pretty much no wind.

But this thing does nothing for the wind that across the top from rear to front.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Jrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is willing to make a few batches of the rollhoop blockers for a good price, I'd be interested since the whole single piece seems out of reach. Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 06:09 PM

why not just get a Coupe and be done with it ?

If you are going to drive a convertible with the top down but the windows up and now a blocker like that, might as well get a Coupe.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mikeyr:

Please understand that one purpose of all this talk about wind blockers is to find a way to be able to drive top down when it would otherwise be too cold. As you can see from the posts above, I have two convertibles -- and s2k and a Mercedes SLK 280 which has a retractable hard top and in fact IS a coupe at the push of a button. But I got a windblocker that works for it, and allows me to drive top down at times when the cold air would otherwise prevent this. Now, I'm looking for the best way to do the3 same for the s2k.

So the idea is to INCREASE top down time -- not to diminish it. On nice sunny 72 degree days, its windows down, top down, and forget about windblockers. Unfortunately, some of us have too few of such days.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I could tolerate the looks if it made a very big difference. I don't know enough of how air behaves in our cars (Saki's posts help a lot), but when you look at other cars' OEM wind blockers, aren't most sort of a hard plastic "net?" My friend's Audi A4 is.

There has to be a reason why the blockers that cover across both seats are not solid. Maybe some air has to escape through them, otherwise it'll probably cause turbulence in another way or in a different area? I think I saw an old post by someone (may have been Saki?) where he tried something like that, and if I am not mistaken it also wasn't a solid piece.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:54 AM

Vitt:

The windblocker in my OP is not meant to be left on the car all the time the top is down. Rather, it is for use when it would otherwise be too cold to go top down, or when you want to take a trip on the interstates top down. At other times, it stows in the optional bag in the trunk. It takes all of 30 seconds to put on and take off.

As for the plastic net windblockers, my SLK came with one. They must be designed to fit very tightly, so they won't flap at speed. as a result, they are a real bear to get on. In fact, I found that one person is not enough to strech the darned thing on! Those net windblockers are the REALY ugly ones when on. They too are for temporary use only.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 29 2007, 09:14 AM
I put clear acrylic in my roll hoops and it makes a good difference with my OEM screen, but one thing to remember about the S is that the windshield is so far from the driver's head that you will get turbulence no matter what. If the windshield was closer to our heads, there would be a lot less turbulance and rear wind screens would be more effective.

There's a link in my sig for my roll hoop inserts btw.
Thanks for the link sakigt, I was considering the headrest wind blocker but considering what you said it made sense that your's works better. I have installed them today per sakigt's instructions, his templates were slightly too small so I adjusted his template. It looks great though and hardly any silicone was used hold it down.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd41/Jc...86/DSCF2585.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd41/Jc...86/DSCF2584.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd41/Jc...86/DSCF2583.jpg
Old 12-31-2007, 01:38 PM

That looks great! What kind of material did you use? Where did you get it? What did you use for the cutting?
Old 01-01-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts

How do you think they work?
Old 01-01-2008, 02:48 PM

I wonder how much more effective those are than the "Major Havoc windblockers" that fit into the headrest?

Quick Reply: Interest in a wind blocker that works!