S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Introduction and a few questions

Old 05-28-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My names Chad I'm 28, and I currently live in Hot Springs, AR but will be relocating in Septemper to Dallas TX. I have had an interest in the S2000 since its inception, but have never had the financial means to buy one out right or the desire to make 400/month car payments. Recently that has changed, I will be graduating from college this year and also received a decent amount of cash as an inheritance (Wealthy Uncle Died). I have always wanted a nice sports car so I figured I would set aside some cash just for that, then be responsible with the rest of it .

My current beater is a 1997 Toyota Rav 4 that I have had since new (190,000 miles and no major problems) and I recently purchased a Yamaha YZFR6, its my first street bike, and I'm a little bit afraid of it lol. Gives a whole new meaning to pucker !

I have been following these forums for a while, and even used the search function a few times (don't flame me ) but still have some questions.

I considered buying a used S2000 with 20k or lower miles, being that I really didn't want to take the depreciation hit you always do when buying new. Upon investigation I saw that Used S2000 with low miles were fetching close to MSRP NEW !!!. A five thousand dollar discount isn't worth my piece of mind, so I decided to buy new. I'm going to be paying cash and wondered if that will give me any leverage with the dealers, basically plan on walking in with my checkbook and driving out in my new S2000. I ABSOLUTELY HATE, paying retail.

I hear a lot of people talking about getting OTD prices of near 30-32k including tax/destination etc. Is this in states without sales tax, here in Arkansas Sales tax is 8%, well 8% of 30k is 2400$, so if you paid 30k for your S, the dealer is only seeing 27600... Are they taking a loss on the S2000 now ? ? ?

#3 I'm 6'3 and range anywhere from 200-240 depdning on the season. I am in the market for a roadster, and the S2000 seems like the perfect combination of price/performance. I will use it as a Daily driver during the cool/warm months, I am concerned about fitting in to the sucker though. None of the local Honda dealers in my area have any in stock for me to try, and even if they did sitting in one for a few minutes is not going to tell me how it will feel two hours down the road .

I owned a 5th gen honda civic ex coupe a few years ago, and I was "VERY" comfortable, people would laugh at me because I was such a big guy with a compact car, but I swear the civic was one of the most comfortable cars I ever owned.

Is the cockpit/leg room/seat comfort on par or exceeding the civic cockpit room? The steering wheel in the S2000 looks like its a little low for my comfort. I was also thinking about a used porsche boxster, but I can tell just by looking I would be a freaken sardine in there lol.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:17 AM

Welcome!! Hopefully you will find an S that you enjoy....

#1... yes you can ALWAYS get leverage with the dealer if you walk in there paying cash... Tell them how it is to... Let them know you want a deal.. you are paying cash.. or you will go somewhere else where they appreciate cash

#2 Mention the 2004 model coming out and you should be able to get them to bump the OTD price down even more...

#3 I am 6'4" and I fit in the car just fine.. It's no Caddy or anything.. but I fit nice and snug just like I feel I should in a roadster
Old 05-28-2003, 09:25 AM

#1 I always prefer to let them give me finance. The reason is that the dealership gets abut $300 for each loan they set up. So you can talk them down an extra $150 or so from the selling price.

Then, if you have the money you can pay the loan off a couple of months (or weeks) later. Most car loans have a 'no penalty' clause for early payment so you can end up paying $150 less and no interest.

#2 Yes. With the announced changes in MY04 you should be able to entice them to give you a good deal on MY03.

#3 You are way taller than I... :-) good luck.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:25 AM

6-4, 235 and fit tight (just the way I like my sportscar to fit). Better now with my F1-style steering wheel (more leg room) but it's just a matter of getting the seatback angle correct. I like the seat all the way back about a half inch before the rear rollbar assembly so when I get in the seat, I don't bang up against it (close though). I also adjust the seat back so it's literally straight up. I like to see DOWN on the car, not up and over it. For me, this setup is perfect. In fact, sometimes I find myself actually moving the seat slightly forward. I'm used to Italian cars so the position favors me.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:26 AM

I'm 6'3" 210lbs - had a '00 Civic Si before. I fit as good if not better in the S - try it first to make sure, but I gurantee you'll love the fit. Cheers.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:50 PM

Don't tell the salesman you're gonna pay cash. When he starts filling out the worksheet and asks how much you're gonna put down just pick a serious number, say about 8-10 grand, then start negotiating price, NOT including tax license etc. In many states like here in CA, tax, license, and documation fees add about 10% to the purchase price, so that's easy to figure in you head while negotiating. The key is to keep it simple during the negotiating process. Then, after agreeing on a price, when you go into the Finance Office to do paperwork, announce you've decided to pay cash. Cashout is right,--- dealerships make money on the "backend", (finance). If they know up front that there's gonna be no profit there, you won't be doing yourself any favors when negotiating a price for the vehicle. Oh by the way, I've been in the business for 20 years.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had to comment on the bike. R6 as a first bike? Crazy!! Be safe.