S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

JDM clear side marker installation text and photos

Old 02-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've ordered the JDM clear side markers, here's what you need to do to install them.

First, push the stock side marker toward the front of the car until you can pull it out by lifting first from the rear (since I don't have the amber marker, I've used the new clear marker for my example. Please note that I like to mount them in reverse, with the angled part pointing to the front of the car. But they're supposed to mount the other way).

When the marker is free from the body, this is what you will see.

Grab the marker with one hand, then turn the socket assembly until it comes free of the marker housing. This is what you will see (your stock wedge marker bulb will be clear).

My bulbs are amber, but have been painted silver, so that when they are off they cannot be seen under the marker lens. Your JDM markers will come with two amber wedge bulbs. If you want this look, spray paint a thin coat of silver over the bulbs lenses before you do the installation, and let them dry for a few hours, Cheap silver spray paint works fine.

Pull the old wedge bulb straight out of the socket then push the new bulb straight in.

Next, screw the socket into the JDM housing, It turns and locks into place.

Finally, install the new JDM marker into the hole. Study the photo below. The smaller circle marks a small notch in the rear of the marker. The larger circle marks the plastic spring clip. Slip the notched side in first toward the back of the car. Align the marker properly, then snap the other side into place (the plastic spring clip will lock it into position).

Step back and enjoy the new look of the side of your car.

Old 02-23-2002, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! Can't wait to get them tomorrow
Old 02-23-2002, 06:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well written! Can't wait till mine comes in!
Old 03-01-2002, 10:40 AM

Rick,

I received my clear side markers yesterday and, of course, installed them right away.

However, I noticed that the original amber side markers appear to have dedicated right-side and left-side construction. When you turn the amber side markers over, and look at the backside, they are mirror images of each other. The plastic clips on each are even different. Also, the "indents" for the bulb sockets are in different positions on each so that the wiring and sockets fit very cleanly.

Both of the clear side markers are identical to each other. This doesn't seem to be a problem with the overall fit as the clear side markers fit very snugly without any play or gaps. However, the wiring and socket on one side of the car had to twist around a little.

This is really weird especially since each of the amber side markers appear to have the same number markings. The only difference in their markings are that one has an "L" and the other an "R" on the backside. Both of the clear side markers have exactly the same markings.

Anybody else notice this or have the same problem?
Old 03-01-2002, 12:29 PM

Rick,

Got mine yesterday. Took less than 5 minutes to install. I was shocked it was so simple. I'm really happy with how they look. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how much are these puppies?
Old 03-01-2002, 01:10 PM

Rick -

Do you have any extras to sell?? If so, how much $$ ?

- Relson
Old 03-01-2002, 01:26 PM

Rick
Can you PM me so I can buy a set off of you?!? (if you have any left)

Thanks
Old 03-01-2002, 07:19 PM

Can't wait till my sidemarker arrives!!
Old 03-10-2002, 02:54 AM

hey rick, spraying the bulbs is an interesting idea, just wondering if you had any problems with the paint flaking or melting off, did you try it on the larger turn signal bulbs as well? also, how about the color difference, do the bulbs have the same intensity and hue? just wondering cause i was thinking about spraying my bright yellow bulbs, i like the color when they flash, but hate how my headlights glow yellow in the daytime, especially next to the red emblems, anyhow i'm afraid that making them any dimmer would change the color to a murky yellow or amber, any thoughts? thanks

Quick Reply: JDM clear side marker installation text and photos