S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Will "JDM" styling be considered rice when we look back 10 years from now?
Yes
43.75%
No
51.44%
I'm too chicken to say.
4.81%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

JDM styling...future rice?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the whole JDM thing is going way over bored.. its not a simple and clean as it used to be. Now its crazy looking widebody color jdm/show rare wheels.. yet.. the point of having a car is to drive it hard and enjoy it. Im not saying its not enjoyable doing all the things to it, but you gotta have to admit it is getting over bored that you cant even enjoy driving it but just cleaning it all day every day and worry about bird poop.

because you paid so much for it to get it messed up...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM

What defines "JDM styling" anyways?
That term is so vague
Old 11-06-2008, 08:56 AM

As far as most of the JDM stuff is concerned I say no. Some of the more crazy/aggressive looking stuff would fall under maybe
Old 11-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Banned

Where is the "I think it's rice now." option?

Takata harness in a street car? RICE and ugly as shit.

People bashing on other people for putting replica wheels on their car even though some of the replica's come in better offsets than the real thing. RICE and ****ing stupid.

Huge wings and fins on the front bumper of cars that never see a race track. RICE and UGLY.

Paying outrageous prices for any piece just because it's JDM when there are other MUCH more reasonably priced options that perform just as good if not better is ****ing stupid.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 AM

^ what he said, except that the wheels usually have better choices for offsets
Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by buggy1129,Nov 6 2008, 10:29 AM
but what do you mean by go fast parts??

I believe a lot of s2k owners add their parts for a reason (function). Are you talking about hp wise, or just in general parts.

brakes and suspension are not go fast parts in my opinion, but with those, the cars handles better.

In the other hand some people add FI to their cars, but lacking of brakes and suspension parts. Therefore their cars can only go fast going straight.

As for body kits and aero parts for s2k, I believe most of them work actually inflicts downforce onto our S.
I guess by "go-fast" I mean anything that's functional. Back in the day, the show car trend was to have as many speakers and tv's in your car as possible. Then some people said that was rice because there is little sense in adding 500 lbs of weight to a sports car is kind of silly. Then the trend went to building race cars. Fully gutted, fully caged, wide body, big brakes, possibly forced induction, carbon fiber everywhere, race seats, coilovers...and then they never drove it on a track. To me, that's rice - buying parts for your car to make it look like a race car but never race. RICE = Race inspired custom enhancements. RACE= Race Applied custom enhancements
Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMallmotorAP1,Nov 6 2008, 08:39 AM
i think the whole JDM thing is going way over bored.. its not a simple and clean as it used to be. Now its crazy looking widebody color jdm/show rare wheels.. yet.. the point of having a car is to drive it hard and enjoy it. Im not saying its not enjoyable doing all the things to it, but you gotta have to admit it is getting over bored that you cant even enjoy driving it but just cleaning it all day every day and worry about bird poop.

because you paid so much for it to get it messed up...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by WyattH,Nov 6 2008, 07:52 AM
I answered "yes" because I think even some of the "most exclusive JDM-tuned" cars today are ricey.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by s2krey,Nov 6 2008, 10:28 AM
90% of the jdm bozos out there think that just because a part came from japan and cost 10 times what its really worth is cool and trendy.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by patinum,Nov 6 2008, 10:26 AM
I guess by "go-fast" I mean anything that's functional. Back in the day, the show car trend was to have as many speakers and tv's in your car as possible. Then some people said that was rice because there is little sense in adding 500 lbs of weight to a sports car is kind of silly. Then the trend went to building race cars. Fully gutted, fully caged, wide body, big brakes, possibly forced induction, carbon fiber everywhere, race seats, coilovers...and then they never drove it on a track. To me, that's rice - buying parts for your car to make it look like a race car but never race. RICE = Race inspired custom enhancements. RACE= Race Applied custom enhancements
I understand what your saying, with that I agree with you.

Quick Reply: JDM styling...future rice?