S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

just another insurance question

Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just another insurance question

This is probably a re-post but i couldnt really find what i was looking for on the search...

Im am looking into gettin a s2000 probably this summer, the thing im worried about is the insurance. Im 17, and my insurance guy told me that it would be around 1300 every 6 months.

My dad almost had a heart attack when he heard that so ive been trying to do some research.
I got my self a quote on geico, and unless i did something wrong they said it was like 150 month.

Does that sound reasonable to anyone, or you think no way it would be that cheap?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by wjkj08,May 21 2007, 10:12 AM
This is probably a re-post but i couldnt really find what i was looking for on the search...

Im am looking into gettin a s2000 probably this summer, the thing im worried about is the insurance. Im 17, and my insurance guy told me that it would be around 1300 every 6 months.

My dad almost had a heart attack when he heard that so ive been trying to do some research.
I got my self a quote on geico, and unless i did something wrong they said it was like 150 month.

Does that sound reasonable to anyone, or you think no way it would be that cheap?
Sounds reasonable for you age I guess.
I don't know. 17 was a while ago for me and I can't remember what I was paying.
I pay about $200 a month for my 07 S, my wife's 05 Xterra, and homeowners insurance. I'm 26
Old 05-21-2007, 10:16 AM

That sounds incredibly cheap for a 17yr. old as the primary driver on an S. Unless they're just going to insure the seats!

Craig
Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JAXrsx,May 21 2007, 10:16 AM
That sounds incredibly cheap for a 17yr. old as the primary driver on an S. Unless they're just going to insure the seats!

Craig

Not considering the variables (location, driving record, parents insurance or your own, etc) it seems cheap enough to me to suggest getting some other quotes.
I pay about $110/mo for the S on it's own, this is in Oregon however. It's a 2002, and I have a nearly-clean record. I'm 28.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 AM

ya thats what i was thinkin.... to cheap. I have never been in an accident or had a ticket. The quote was me by myself not on my parents insurance so, am i was pretty positive it was full coverage....
Old 05-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by wjkj08,May 21 2007, 10:12 AM

1300 every sixth months for full coverage is on the cheaper side for any 17 year old in a newer car. Even an ap1 is a "newer" car IMO. Many people pay 100-150$ a month liability, unless you lie to your insurance company and say it's actually your dad's "2nd"/"weekend" car.

I know full coverage for an 18 year old on a new civic is about 2g a year. An s2000 should be close to double that. These cars are more to insure than C5 corvettes.

I'm 21, single, do not live with parents, etc. and s2000 insurance was well over 2k a year for full coverage. Even liability is 1200$ a year. It will not come down until I'm 25.

Cheap insurance will often bite you in the ass if you don't know what you are doing. If you crash the car on some long trip get ready for your insurance company to ask a lot of questions if you aren't the primary driver listed.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:28 AM

150 sound low, but... What year S2000. 150 sounds too good to be true on an 07, but might just be a good price on an 01. Also what level of coverage? Full or just liability. The S2000 is one of the most expensive cars to insure.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by wjkj08,May 21 2007, 01:24 PM
ya thats what i was thinkin.... to cheap. I have never been in an accident or had a ticket. The quote was me by myself not on my parents insurance so, am i was pretty positive it was full coverage....
Just take a good look at all the options and different tiers of coverage.

Make sure you're listing yourself as the primary driver and that the car is not a "weekend" car. It needs to be listed as your daily driver.

Also, for $150 a month what kind of limits were they offering you?

I am 32 with a clean record and own a house. I live in an average cost area and I pay about $215 a month to insure both my '02 S and an '02 RSX-S with very comprehensive plans. For comparison sake when I added the S to my policy (as a "weekend/fun car") it added a little over $100 to my monthly premium.

I know it can be confusing as there are a lot of factors and options when pricing insurance, but please get some other quotes from major companies such as Progressive, All-State and State Farm...just for comparison sake if nothing else.

Craig

Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 AM

i had the quote set up for a 2001, i emailed geico asking them if it was full coverage or just liability, for everyone else saying theres is real high what insurance company are you using. This is really going to get my hopes up i can already see it coming, id do just about anything for an s2000...

Also this is just like the standard option i guess you could say....

I guess i just figured it out, i went back through and changed some deductibles,
before i didnt have it set for collision or comprehensive.. I dont no much about insurance but i guess i definetly need both of those.....

when i changed it, it went up to 418 a month lol
Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 AM

Prices in SoCal for a 20 year old who has had their license since 17 and has been in one minor accident where no one got hurt:

About 2.8-4 grand a year depending. I don't know how yours is so cheap.

Quick Reply: just another insurance question