S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just learned that I don't know how to shift gears....what am I doing wrong???

Old 11-03-2003, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this out for size:

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/drivi..._shifting.lasso

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/drivi...g_heeltoe.lasso
Old 11-03-2003, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what your friend is trying to say that on some older cars if you match revs correctly that you don't need to use the clutch at all to get it into gear.
The problem with that is that most cars now, you HAVE to press to clutch to get out of the gear that you are currently in.

I find on my s2000 that I only really need to press the clutch in a few inches rather than all the way to the floor. When I am accelerating quickly I find this natural, but when driving around the city I always push it all the way in and out.

I wouldn't recommend putting any force on the stick without the using the clutch, I don't think it is worth the risk of damaging the gears. In my opinion you could probably accelerate just as quickly using the clutch if you get to know the feel of it.

M@
Old 11-03-2003, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're shifting correctly!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:13 PM

tell your friend to drive his own car
Old 11-03-2003, 09:23 PM

Don't shift into gear too quickly without your clutch all the way down on the floor...or you're going to hear a very nasty sound. CRUNCH!! GRIND!!
It happens to me once in a blue moon. I guess I shift without thinking, and my clutch foot is still on it's way to the floor. Hmm...or maybe it's the infamous 1-2 grind noted on the S2000's??
Old 11-03-2003, 09:30 PM

You guys are going to have to stop!!! I am going to break a rib. If you only new this guy, he "knows" everything about everything. He is supposed to give me a shifting lesson this weekend.
He may have over explained it but basically he said that he applys enough pressure on the stick (the car again) that the shifter basically pops back into your hand for a split second before it goes into second or whatever gear you want to go to. I think that as long as I can get used to the clutch that I will probably be able to quickly shift without grinding, pulling the shifter or pushing the clutch pedal all the way in. Thanks again for the responses!!! I won't let him drive again!

Old 11-03-2003, 09:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by panic
You guys are going to have to stop!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:48 PM

Just remember, if you shift like that, you'll never "have your car." He must come from the "Granny Shifting, not double clutching like you should" school.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:09 PM

Hehe that line makes me smile everytime, oh and also x5 and uhh everytyime you are touching the shifter moving to another position without the clutch pressed in is a little bad for your car. It might not show up for some time but eventually I have been told that even resting your finger on the shifter might cause syncro wear.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:58 PM

your friend is an idiot. Don't let him drive your car. He should learn to drive a stick playing gran turismo before driving anyone else's car.

Quick Reply: Just learned that I don't know how to shift gears....what am I doing wrong???