S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

leaky headlight

Old 04-22-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky headlight

Ok, I've read a bunch of threads on leaking headlights--I realize that several people have this problem. I have had my leaking problem since last summer after I washed my car. Initially the headlight just had fine mist and cleared up after a week or so. I thought the problem corrected itself because I avoided getting water into the headlight from there on out. Well, the past few weeks I have noticed much larger droplets inside and it covers the entire headlight on my passenger side. I hate the looks of it.

My question is this, is the water that is collecting inside the headlight damaging to anything else in my car? Also, can anyone comment on how much any of these things would cost to fix aside from the headlight replacement? I've read about the ballast going bad, but I guess I'm looking for any and everything that could go wrong because of the moisture in my headlight and trying to figure out if it is something I should fix now to avoid paying more out of my pocket at a later time.

I have downloaded the guide that Rick's has for removing the headlight assembly, but I honestly dont know if I feel like going through all the work to find out that my assembly is cracked and I have to buy another anyway.

Also, does I thought that hardtopguy sold replacement headlight assemblies for 00-03 models--I can't seem to find it.

The reason I am hesitant to go out and have it fixed is because it will set me back probably $750 to have it fixed, and being a graduate student I am trying to minimize repair costs to my car.

Anyone's info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:43 AM

I too have had the headlight problem as you describe.

The moisture in the housing might possibly affect the ballast for the HID headlights.

The method that I used to dry them out was pretty simple. On a warm day I removed the rubber weather protection for the halogen brights. the water evaporated in a couple of hours. Of course, just remember to replace them or the problem will get worse.

The method for doing this is in the owner's manual regarding replacing the halogens. Page 194 I think.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:28 PM

Thanks, I'll try that as a temporary fix--but I'm still interested in all the other stuff.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:48 PM

Couldn't a layer of clear silicone fix this problem? As long as it is not a crack lens.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:52 PM

thing is, I cant see if there is a crack or not. I probably can't without removing the bumper etc. Its not that I'm lazy, but I dont know if I feel comfortable doing this much stuff to my car. I have thought about using some silicone to fix the lens if needed, but again I dont know if I want to take my front end apart myself and risk making things worse.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Leaking headlight? Hmmm...sounds like a disease.

"Doc, my headlight is leaking again"!

"Well, you didn't take the medication I gave you, did you"?

Warren
Old 04-22-2005, 03:21 PM

anyone know if hardtopguy still sells the 00-03 housings anymore?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:17 PM

you all know that the 04+ headlights are faster right?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:19 PM

haha. Did you know spa is faster too? Get a paint job while you're at it . Just kiddin' man, that sucks that your light is leaking. I noticed my taillights sometimes have condensation. This happened in my last car too, also a 2001, (Lexus IS300), not that there is any link between the two cars' problems, it just seems that I always end up with the shortest stick of the the draw. Good luck with finding a solution man, I feel for ya.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:41 AM

Well I talked to my father, he thinks that we might be able to take it out and fix it using the directions from Rick's--my dad is handy like that. But I am still wondering a few things.

First, is the ballast part of the headlight housing? I mean if you bought a new one, does it come with a new ballast, or is it separate. Also if you bought a new headlight, is it completely sealed? I guess I am having trouble understanding how honda sells the headlight--like what does $650 include from the dealership?

Quick Reply: leaky headlight