S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

LED galore or "I guess I'm a control freak"... (long with pictures)

Old 09-26-2001, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chapter 2:

The audio re-install involved:

Shielding the doors by replacing the piece of plastic film that comes standard and all the gooye mess by a heavyduty rubberized material that can be heat shaped

Replacing the stock headunit by an Alpine CTM 1503-R commander unit;

Installing a set of Macron mid range 10cm rear speakers;

Replacing my 2 channel V12 alpine amp by a 4 channel V12 amp;

Reworking the Honda changer attachments to work with the CTM 1503R;

Installing the KCE alpine dash control adapter;

Relocating headunit, CD changer (previously in stock locations) crossovers (previously inside the doors), tweeters (previously on the stock a-pillar covers), amp (previously inside the spare wheel);

Recabling everything.

The result, sound wise, is a definite improvement. I'm another witness of the effectiveness of rear speakers, but you do have to leave some clearance at the back of the seat.

If you use it full flush against the rear panel, the sound is muffled substantially. As the seats rattle in this position, I guess that most people leave at least a small gap which is enough for the sound to come out.

I'm sure that sound image must suffer, but I have a lot of trouble imagining a full wagnerian orchestra right in front of the car without slamming the brakes in fear of ramming the maestro and the woodpipe section, that I am just happy to sacrifice it for overall sound volume.

I considered several options for the headunit and cd changer. My first and easiest one was to relegate everything to the spare wheel compartment. The disadvantage is that the dash controls are very limited and some useful functions would require one to exit the car, open the trunk, remove the weekend stuff, do whatever one had to do, and retrace one's steps in reverse order.

I also considered separating the headunit detachable face from the headunit body itself, and install the face inside the stock headunit compartment door. Unfortunately, I did not find anyone brave enough to try this out. Maybe next time.

So in the end, headunit and CD changer went inside the secret compartment. CD magazines can now be changed from inside of the car, and you can access the headunit controls whilst exercizing torso flexibility. I have started power yoga classes, so it should get easier with time.

As for the tweeters, I was not happy that installation on the stock a-pillar covers made them face the windscreen, unfortunately there isn't space anywhere else on those pillars so the covers had to be remolded. You can see the result on the previous pictures of the multi stage shift LEDs.

For the rest, here are the pictures:

The secret compartment being prepared:

The structure of the compartment had to be changed for everything to fit. Basically the separation between the first receptacle and the rear space had to be cut off.

The Macron rear speakers being measured for size:

The amp installed on a molded fibreglass base, covered with felt:

and the end result:

The blue plexiglass you see was put there to match the headunit face and improves appearence quite substantially. The guys at the audio shop wanted some neon there, and were very disappointed when I flatly refused.

In my age bracket body flexibility is hard to gain, so I am now considering the Alpine IR remote control to operate some headunit functions in replacement for proper Asana (set your spell checker to sanskrit) competencies.

I could try to drill a whole in the secret compartment cover, use a fibre glass cable or an IR repeater. Drilling is my preferred option, but I'm not sure whether there would be enough reflection to operate the command from any position inside the car. BTW, in case you are wondering, the plan is not to leave a hole in the cover but to cover the hole with one of those smoked plastic windows with an "IR" imprinted on them that you see on VCR and the like.

Anyway, still work in progress (that's what the car is for, right?). Any questions, just ask.
Old 09-26-2001, 06:23 AM

wow - the shift lights, the door handle lights, the re-configured secret compartment for the stereo and everything else above is just incredible.
I wish you were my neighbor I could wash your car, let you have my girlfriend, and maybe get some help with the shift lights...
Old 09-26-2001, 06:51 AM

Luis, how about the JDM navigation ???

you have gone this far ...... might as well take it straight for a touchdown .....
Old 09-26-2001, 07:03 AM
JRM

But where's the ejection seat strobe and the chain gun activation indicator??
Old 09-26-2001, 08:33 AM

Wow, that's all I can think of to say......WOW!!!
Old 09-26-2001, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mstw
[B]Luis, how about the JDM navigation ???
Old 09-26-2001, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Luis
BTW, have you guys seen the new DIN sized alpine DVD navigation / headunit? Its an inclusive system (audio, radio, navigation) and should come out substantially cheaper than the traditional multi component system.
I've seen the one made by Pioneer, its a beautiful piece, runs about 800 - 1000, I didnt know Alpine was making one of these.
Old 09-26-2001, 10:09 AM

Damn Luis, the only way you could make it better is if you had a heads up display.... Hmm.... maybe that's your next mod
Old 09-26-2001, 10:31 AM

Geez thanks alot Luis, now im feeling depressed about my crappy stock setup. Thanks alot Honda for making my car all go and no LED/Guage/Relocated Headunit with a hidden cd changer and then some show . Well i would like to say beautiful setup looks almost OEM!!!!!Well finally some questions. Where the hell did you have that done at and final cost? If it cost more then the average car payment for everything, im interested. But if it cost around the price for an average car down payment, thanks but i have children to feed. (Just kidding about the children part, just couldnt think of any other reason to decline such a badass setup, besides im only 21!). Well answer some questions Luis and once again BADASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 09-26-2001, 10:57 AM

I will have to join every one else:

WOW!

That is a very impressive set up!
You gotta let us now what the final cost was on that set up!

Shrubba

Quick Reply: LED galore or "I guess I'm a control freak"... (long with pictures)