S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lets Compare Like with Like....

Old 07-28-2001, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The open hostility shown by some people when they discuss the merits or otherwise of their own car as opposed to Brand X is a constant source of wonderment and sometimes irritation to me, as I know it is to other members. Perhaps I was no better when I was younger but I don't recall ever having that attitude. I suppose I just love cars and can always find something to like about what the other guy drives. A couple of years ago I parked my MR2 at the local shopping mall right next to a young guy (early(20s) who was leaning against the side of his WRX smoking and obviously waiting for someone. As I got out of my car I said to him "Nice car".. He replied rather aggressively "It'll kick the crap out of that any day" I replied to the effect that from what I'd heard I was quite prepared to believe that it would. His attitude changed and we then had a pleasant conversation about his car, and looking under the bonnet etc. Just then his wife turned up pushing young twins in a push chair. As I turned to go the young chap said rather sheepishly "Actually my last car was an MR2 but the twins forced me to get rid of it. I'd rather have the MR2 any day"
The point here is that there's a lot more to desirability in a car than 0-60 times

Finally let's remember that a sports car is defined (usually) as 'An open topped two seater preferably with driven rear wheels which at a pinch can be raced' To compare the S2000 with Benzer AMG variants, BMW M3's etc. etc. etc. is ludicrous. It is when we compare the S2000 with it's VALID competitors that we see it for the truly unique, exciting driving machine that it is. Show me another sports car any where near it's price range that offers the performance, handling and downright value for money that this one does. I drive mine every day and I love every mile I do in it. It doesn't prevent me from admiring the the other guys bigger faster car, or remembering that it serves a totally different purpose. I know which I would rather drive, particularly in this mini heat wave we are enjoying at the moment
Old 07-28-2001, 05:28 AM

I think it is only a natural reaction to strongly support your choice of car over the alternatives...really the same as you do a football team - it's your car - or your team and it's better than anybody elses. You have a common bond with other owners and supporters - hopefully it is just competitive and not aggressive to the opposition,.

Where I do agree is the obsessive 0- 60 issues, the margin of driving capability is greater than the differences between the fast cars. However - you need to remember that each region / country has different needs and styles of driving - UK just does not have the on / off ramp races so it only appears irrelevant.
Old 07-28-2001, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

Finally let's remember that a sports car is defined (usually) as 'An open topped two seater preferably with driven rear wheels which at a pinch can be raced'
That's an opinion. The term sports car is an opinion. Sorry, I really hate it when people say "X defines a sports car". I've been in many arguments with Mustang owners, etc about what a sports car is. They said it had to have so much power and be RWD. I argued about suspension saying they had muscle cars. Anyway, the term sports car is an opinion. It just seems that so many people want to bend the "common" definition of asports car to fit their car more than someone else's.

And my opinion says that having an open top is not a requirement, or two seats. Two door (with a few exceptions), IS, and RWD or AWD defines a sports car in my mind.

There are plenty of cars in Japan that can hand the S2000 its ass in the value department. Nissan Silvia for one. Subaru WRX STI, and the Lancer EVO. Of course they are not roadsters, but bang for buck they have the S2000 beat, and beat bad. But if you are only looking for roadsters, the S2000 wins hands down. And in the US, IMO, I can't think of a better sports car for the money than the S2000.

I understand that you are upset about people bashing your car. Just remember that its the car for you, not them. We are all different. You don't have to prove to any of us that the S2000 is a great car.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gabedude
[B]

I understand that you are upset about people bashing your car.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

I've obviously conveyed the wrong impression. I'm not upset with people bashing my car. I'm happy with my choice and other peoples opinions dont 'phase' me in the least. I was more referring to the lack of any willingness to see the good points of the other guys car and often the totally unrealistic comparisons between models that were never intended to serve the same purpose or satisfy the same consumers. I have some sympathy with your view on the description of a sports car. The Mazda RX7 wouldn't qualify with the definition I gave. If that's not a sports car I don't know what is
Your right, in its class there are the following:

M Roadster
Boxter
Boxter S
Miata
Z3

The only one that really comes close in the performance dept is the Boxter S. But it costs 20K more.

there are always people who are gonna come in with say a Camaro SS and start saying that their car is better. I just choose to ignore them. No matter what car you buy, there is going to be someone saying so and so is better. Just look at the Mclaren thread in the Photo Gallery. There are people arguing that the Viper Venom 800 is a better car. Cmon, they don't even own these cars. There is no escaping it. Just be content that you have one of the best sports cars ever made, IMHO.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:37 AM

Hey Tonky-

Your definition of "sports car" is probably slightly narrower than that of many others, even though yours is more in line of a traditionalist. I also agree that ownership myopia is a common disease that afflicts people.

My definition of a "sports car" is a road legal car that emulates, as closely as possible, a racecar.

Of course, with my definition, the interpretation would depend on what form of racing is closest to your heart...

I think, with HMC being active in many different automotive racing series worldwide, the Integra Type R, the S2000, and maybe even the Civic Type R would loosely fall under that definition. Both F1, CART and showroom stock racing (some of the racing that Honda participates in) would be represented well in those choices, since there are all forms of drivetrain layouts being raced in this day and age.

Do I consider all three cars to be "sports cars?" The Civic would be stretching it abit, but the others, absolutely. The Integra and Civic, in GS-R and Si trim, are hot hatches, but the Type R versions are completely different entities in terms of performance.

Keep in mind your definition would include the older generation Alfa Spider as a "sports car" but would lose miserably to any of the above if ever raced against a driver with similar abilities...

And yes, there's a ton more to enthusiast cars than a 0-60 time. Just like there's a ton more to engine power than peak HP (a fact sometimes lost on people here).
Old 07-28-2001, 09:05 AM

opinions opinion opinions.

I'm sorry, but people are to bitchy about this. The WRX was made to go fast and the S2000 is made to go fast so they will and should be compared. Just because there is a difference in car design matters little. there is no if's and's or but's when it comes to how fast a car can do a lap at PIR or do a 0-60, Quarter, etc...

Your definition of a sports car is also your opinion, from I have seen, they are like assholes and everyone has one (and everyone thinks they are right)!
Old 07-28-2001, 09:25 AM

Since you can't control what people may say, your only choice is to discipline yourself to ignore the posts of people who don't play according to your rules.

There are always plenty of worthy opinions to ponder and respond to.
Old 07-28-2001, 09:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GTRPower
[B]Hey Tonky-

Your definition of "sports car" is probably slightly narrower than that of many others, even though yours is more in line of a traditionalist.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:05 AM

The definition of a sports car is Ferrari.

Quick Reply: Lets Compare Like with Like....