S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

local dealer willing to replace rear plastic window with new plastic, should I???

Old 01-14-2003, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm a longtime owner, coming up on 3 years now (wow!), and have been in a perpetual fight with Honda for about a year to fix my scratched up rear window.

My local (boulder, co) service manager has actually been really helpful here, considering I didn't buy the car from him. He and I have both been working the local rep and Honda N.A. and finally they agreed to a "one-time" fix of another plastic window to replace my current one.

My questions are:
- has anyone else had this and had better luck with the 2nd window? My scratches are on the inside. I have the felt tube, although I don't have any lining in the window well.
-has anyone had better luck - ie - have you gotten Honda to give you a glass backlight/new top under warranty?

the "official" word from honda is it is not their problem, but I see it as a design flaw that has created a dangerous situation under normal operating conditions. I have gone further than recommended (felt tube) to make the car safer/protect it, and it still has this problem. If it's going to re-occur, then I want a more permanent fix.

I've seen a lot of rear window threads over the years and hesitate to throw another one out there, but my window is on its way and want some advice before capitulating.

thanks!
bill
Old 01-14-2003, 01:06 PM

I have no problem with mine (yet!!!). I would have them replace it and do my best to clean it a lot and protect it with Plexus (or equal) and always have my boot on when the top is down.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once they do a proper job and don't "joy ride" your car in the process, I'd say go for it
Old 01-14-2003, 03:46 PM

My local dealer (Dublin Honda) agreed to replace my rear window after I had owned the car just a little over a year. I took it in for its first service and asked them about the scratches and they offered to replace it. Of course, I immediately jumped at the chance.

Ever since then I've placed a towel or mat under the window and a towel inside the fold from the outside as well and after close to two years, my rear window is still in perfect condition. It has NEVER been put down without the towels in place since the replacement and it has held up very well.

My old window had scratches on the inside from dust underneath and horizontal 1/2" "bars" of vertical scratches on the outside where the top frame had rubbed it. Before getting it replaced I did very little to protect it.

If your dealer is offering to replace the window, take them up on their generous offer and be much more careful with the window from now on.