S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Long Road Trip - Top Up or Down?

Old 07-14-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sangone
I'm set to pick up the 2008 S2k from Houston and drive it back to LA.
Since I've never driven one, wanted to ask a question...
Most of the drive will be on the interstate highway with posted speed limit of 80 (I'll probably be going between 80-90 a good chunk of the way).
Realizing it's a personal preference, is it optimal to drive most of the way with the top up due to wind noise, buffeting, and perhaps better fuel economy?
Any stories or words of wisdom to impart?
If you like 80-90mph winds beating you up for several hours straight while the sun turns you shades of red you never dreamed possible and the exposure exhausts you more than you ever expected, do the entire drive top down.

Ok, so I'm joking a little bit there, but seriously, for a long drive with nothing but flat country for miles, I personally would have the top up and the air conditioning on. Where there is scenery that can't be experienced or enjoyed without the top down, then I would put the top down. I'm all about having the top down when the environment I'm in begs to be experienced that way. It only takes 7 seconds to do and you never even have to leave your seat to do it. It's not a big deal. Pull over, put the top down, continue driving. Too hot, tired of the noise, want to actually have a conversation with your passenger? Pull over, put the top up, continue driving. I've done it. There are some days when it's just too danged hot to be roasting in the sun. This is why I prefer what I have and not a CR -- top goes down and top goes up quicker than the car can do a 1/4 mile.

If I was driving from Houston to Los Angeles (where I also happen to live) and the purpose is to get from point a to point b in short order, the top would probably be up a large portion of the drive. I don't consider it an incredibly important factor in my decision of top down vs. top up, but I personally have found that my S gets the highest mpg on long freeway drives with the top up and using the cruise control.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving through the desert in the middle of the summer with the top down? No thanks.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In other words do whatever you want! It is not like you have a hard top without a soft top and have to decide one way or another before you leave. Up down 50 times, who cares.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Long trip... I know it's blasphemy here, but I like my hardtop...

Nice noise and temperature insulation...good shielding from wind and direct sunlight... Turn up the tunes and the AC and enjoy the long ride...
Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever you choose, I highly recommend ear muffs or plugs for long drives. The noise is really fatiguing after a while, and with the top down at freeway speeds you're looking at 85+ DB - enough to cause hearing damage after an hour or so.

Regardless, I can't drive this car for more than two hours straight without needing a good 15 minute break. This might be a blessing in disguise, because even in a comfortable car your concentration and attention wanes on long drives.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Realizing it's a personal preference, is it optimal to drive most of the way with the top up due to wind noise, buffeting, and perhaps better fuel economy?
Set it as desired. We have the top up and down on long road trips. You don't have to pick one or the other beforehand and stick with it the entire way. Top down will probably be more enjoyable off the interstates and on the scenic twisties.

I'm set to pick up the 2008 S2k from Houston and drive it back to LA.
From what I recall I'd probably do most of that drive with the top up. Scenery will be better once you get out of the CA desert and closer to LA. It's not too bad right around El Paso but most of West Texas is quite dull.

Watch out for deer and jackrabbits in West Texas -- especially in the evening/night/morning. Hope you don't have any fog like we did one time.

If those factory ranches west of Phoenix are still there you don't want the top down as your drive past them. You'll want your AC set to recirculate.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
because the engine noise is much more noticeable. This car tachs over 4k rpm at highway speeds.
THIS might be more important than top position. What the car needs is an 8-speed transmission w/2 overdrives.

Seriously, the big difference at highway speeds I notice between the S2000 and the Boxster is the much lower RPM's on the latter, much less "frenetic" (OTOH, the Porsche can be easily "caught out" at too low rpm's in traffic, so it cuts both ways).

... and in either car, top down whenever humanly possible.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i bought my 06 ap2 in Texas and drove it back through LA and then back home to SF. taken numerous long roadtrips too, incl one to Arizona and New Mexico, a few weeks ago. some quick thoughts...

--get/use a radar detector. Beltronics v940 from Amazon is a cheap & functional one

--cover front end in 3M painter's tape, but do not leave it on too long if it gets wet. it'll harden like plaster and break off into tiny pieces when you try to remove it later. learned this the hard way

--don't follow vehicles, esp trucks & semis too close. the s2000 windshield is a rock magnet.

--use a neck pillow

--wear sunscreen. you can get sunburn and skin damage even when it's cloudy.

--put the windows up when driving topdown for extended periods. it really helps reduce drag and turbulence

--s2k's cupholders suck. get a Modifry center console one. only takes a few minutes to install, & it fits Big Gulps & Gatorade bottles too.

have fun & be safe!
Old 07-14-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

If you drive top down, I recommend putting a tether or leash on your hat and clip it to your collar. The kind used for skiing work great. If you're driving at 80 mph on a windy day you can lose your cap.

If you have to look presentable at the end of your trip, keep the top up. You will likely want to take a shower at the end of a long highway top-down trip. Depending on the type of hair you have you may look a little funny too. If it's hot you will sweat. The sweat dries fast so you don't even realize it until you wipe the salt dust off your forehead. I do a lot of highway driving and have lots of experience.

Ear plugs are a must either way. The stereo sounds much clearer with ear plugs on long highway trips.

And don't think about having a cell phone conversation at highway speeds with the top down. Also, you can't keep loose paper, napkins or maps on the passenger seat unless they're under something. They will fly out.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far great advice - thank you all.
I generally have plenty of sunflower seeds with me when I drive which will be part of the "list" in addition to the sunscreen, ear plugs, hat, neck pillow, etc.
Also agree on the radar detector and will be borrowing my neighbor's Passport 9500 ix for this trip!
Great idea on the 3M masking tape Trustd_1 and will think about doing that.
My son will be the copilot and will do most of the "conversing" via text I presume if he's not driving.
I'm guessing I'll do about 1000 miles and he'll drive about 600.

Quick Reply: Long Road Trip - Top Up or Down?