S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Looking to buy a used S2k, couple questions!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching for the right car for over a week, I have come across a few very nice S2K's but nothing in GPW or the right interior combo, for what I'm looking to spend. I have almost settle for Silver, but stoped my self since in the end I'll wish I have gotten the right color. GL on your search and be patient.

Regards
Jon
Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 AM

i had been looking seriously for about 6 months -
offered 22.5 to MULTIPLE dealers for silverstone/other lighter silver '05's certified used with approx 30K miles - no one was biting - most i got dealers down to was 23.5ish (starting prices anywhere from 25-28)....

i ended up paying 22.5 for an 06 black/black with the certified warranty (guy i bought it from bought it as a certified used car and then transfered the warranty) with 11.5k miles and upgraded speakers / amp....starting price 26k

so i would say you can get better deals private party - people are desperate to unload their "impractical cars" and save some cash in today's economic downturn whereas its summer and dealers can command a higher price to the impulse buyers who show up on their lots. Plus private party = less fees.

I would rec. using CL / autotrader to find the car you want and be patient on the price. I must have made at least 50 offers over the last 6 months....all you need is one!

good luck!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 AM

Thanks!

Hope I'm not lowballing dealers too much. I overpaid a tad for my last car so I want to make sure I get the deal I'm looking for on this one. 18k is my ceiling but willing to go to 19k if the car is superb. So far I'm throwing out 17k-18k on 2004 and 2005's so we'll see how this goes!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your going to have to go something above your offer.
In 6months we'll be into a new model year or maybe you can count the fall of '08 as this is the time most models are debued. If your willing to wait a few months your chances will increase but I still think your willingness to pay only $18k is going to still be hard a year from now.
Accept that $20k for an '04 would be a truely outstanding deal but even this may be hard to find.
If you do happen to find the deal your looking for, let us know and will adjust my thinking appropiatly.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by JackS,Jul 9 2008, 09:48 AM
I think your going to have to go something above your offer.
In 6months we'll be into a new model year or maybe you can count the fall of '08 as this is the time most models are debued. If your willing to wait a few months your chances will increase but I still think your willingness to pay only $18k is going to still be hard a year from now.
Accept that $20k for an '04 would be a truely outstanding deal but even this may be hard to find.
If you do happen to find the deal your looking for, let us know and will adjust my thinking appropiatly.
The car I am looking at was originally listed at 22k-ish and has now been reduced to 19k. By the way they spoke with me on the phone, they seem to want the car gone. Seems like a good opportunity to milk them for all I can. Problem is my current car sale is pending and I need the cash from that sale to buy the s2k. Will I be able to make some sort of down to secure the car for myself and actually pick up the car when I get the rest of the money?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I would just fanagle a way to come up with enough money to secure the deal at $19k and forget trying to deal any lower than that.
If the car and milage are good, don't chance it that someone else may beat you out .
Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 PM

The one your looking for sounds like a great deal if you can get it for 17k OTD. Like people have said above your going to have up your ceiling if you want to buy from a dealer. Most dealers will drop frm asking price about 1k(from my experience) but that still will include dealer fees and tax.

If you want a good deal you'r going to have to look for private sellers.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 PM

I've been looking at s2ks for a few months and I believe I know the one you are talking about, they've had that thing for months so 17th OTD would be a deal maybe you can even get it lower GL
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

[QUOTE=TakmaN,Jul 8 2008, 04:53 PM]Whoops, I just saw some cars that said they had their valves adjusted at 50k.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Richardh123,Jul 9 2008, 10:36 PM
I've been looking at s2ks for a few months and I believe I know the one you are talking about, they've had that thing for months so 17th OTD would be a deal maybe you can even get it lower GL
Haha yea you are probably thinking of the right one. It was at the Mercedes of South Bay dealership. Didn't know it was there for that long, but it must have to get a 2k price drop. It looks like it sold though, its not on their website anymore... boo! Cerritos Norm Reeves Honda got one in also and sold in a couple of days! Do used GPW AP2 S2000's usually sell pretty fast? The deals don't even seem to be that great but it seems like I'm never going to get one by haggling as much as I am.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a used S2k, couple questions!