S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Loud Wind Sound

Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Wind Sound

I couldn't find another thread on this website or anywhere on the internet about this, but I haven't searched that much..

So the problem is.. Whenever I have my top up.. there is this REALLY LOUD wind sound.. at first I thought it was because the windshield was replaced recently and wasn't installed properly.. but then I tightened the clamps that fasten the soft top and that decreased some of the noise.. but it's still pretty loud.. loud enough for me to barely hear the radio and nothing outside of the car.

Does anyone else have this problem?... Also the soft top was replaced..
Old 05-08-2014, 05:00 PM

strikers could be worn out. if so top is not closing tight enough.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM

That's what I was just thinking! My left striker isn't tight enough.. I think it's just the spring needs to be replaced. Do you know if I can replace just the spring or do I have to get a whole new striker? Thanks a lot!!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When your driving take your hand and manually pull down the soft top; if the wind noise decreases your soft top is not sealing properly against the weather stripping. To fix the problem you can add 6mm washers to the strikers bolts to lower the position of the striker and create a better seal for your soft top.

I hope this process is clear enough for you to follow.

1. Drive to your nearest Homedepot or hardware store and purchase 4 m6-1.0x20mm machine screw and 8 6mm washers. You can bring your striker's screw if you need a reference.

2. Remove your passenger and driver's sun visors. To do so, remove the screw as seen in the photo.

3. Take a small screw driver and take off the dome-light's cover. There are two positions that allows you to insert the small screwdriver, approx. 1 inch away from each corner. As seen in the photo.

4. Once the dome-light is removed. You will see two large screws. The larger screw to the left of the picture. Remove the screws

5. Gently pry off the two side pillar panels with your hands, they are held on by clips.

6. Gently pry off the upper panel with your hands and be careful not to yank off the dome-light's wires as your pulling. It'll be attached to the dome-light module. Remove or lower the panel enough to access the strikers. They will look like this.

7.Remove the striker

8.Insert 1 or 2 6mm washers (depending on how low you want to adjust the strikers)

9. Rotate the driver's side striker with the passengers side strikers

as you can see, only one side is worn.

10. Latch the top before you reinstall the panels and dome-light and go for a test drive to see if it fixed the problem.

11. Reinstall panels and dome light
Old 05-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
When your driving take your hand and manually pull down the soft top; if the wind noise decreases your soft top is not sealing properly against the weather stripping. To fix the problem you can add 6mm washers to the strikers bolts to lower the position of the striker and create a better seal for your soft top.

I hope this process is clear enough for you to follow.

1. Drive to your nearest Homedepot or hardware store and purchase 4 m6-1.0x20mm machine screw and 8 6mm washers. You can bring your striker's screw if you need a reference.

2. Remove your passenger and driver's sun visors. To do so, remove the screw as seen in the photo.

3. Take a small screw driver and take off the dome-light's cover. There are two positions that allows you to insert the small screwdriver, approx. 1 inch away from each corner. As seen in the photo.

4. Once the dome-light is removed. You will see two large screws. The larger screw to the left of the picture. Remove the screws

5. Gently pry off the two side pillar panels with your hands, they are held on by clips.

6. Gently pry off the upper panel with your hands and be careful not to yank off the dome-light's wires as your pulling. It'll be attached to the dome-light module. Remove or lower the panel enough to access the strikers. They will look like this.

7.Remove the striker

8.Insert 1 or 2 6mm washers (depending on how low you want to adjust the strikers)

9. Rotate the driver's side striker with the passengers side strikers

as you can see, only one side is worn.

10. Latch the top before you reinstall the panels and dome-light and go for a test drive to see if it fixed the problem.

11. Reinstall panels and dome light
Helluva write-up, I'll be doing this soon on my newest S, as it is getting louder around the top as well.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Also you can use hard top strikers just to reassure everything. I read this a while ago here on the forums.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:50 PM

I've got brand new hard top stikers, with 2 washers each and still have wind noise. Driving me nuts
Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 PM

YES!! Thank you so much! I just finished it and it is SIGNIFICANTLY less noisy. I first out one washer in it and hat reduced the noise but not enough. So I put another little thinner plastic washer ALSO and that helped a lot! It is barely noticeable now, but still the spring/coil needs replacing so I'm assuming that's why there is still any noise at all. You might want to check that SweetWakerSurprise... You can see them with the top down. Thank you so much Gotpepsi!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 PM

I replaced the strikers with hardtop strikers years ago. As a temporary fix, I put some plastic caps that are used for covering the cut ends of wire shelving over the tips of the hooks that pull the top down. That helped a lot until I got the new strikers installed.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Will be doing this in the morning,
that knocking,,,,,,,its doing my frigging head in......

Quick Reply: Loud Wind Sound