S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Low mileage AP1? or Higher mileage AP2?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low mileage AP1? or Higher mileage AP2?

Hi guys,

Just curious what you guys think about buying either a low mileage AP1 or a slightly higher mileage AP2. my budget is around $15K, I like the idea of better torque curve and freshened appearance of the AP2. But the 9K RPM redline of the AP1 is tempting.

I've also read the AP1 has a few more problems than the AP2. So even though I might be getting higher miles AP2, it would be more reliable?

Thanks fellows, looking to join you guys soon!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I know someone that just got an 04 with 30k mi for $15k. It seems to me that with $15k you could get a decent AP2, say with up to 60k mi or so, and never have issues.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ap1, and get some mods,
maybe even boost it

you can get a mint ap1 for around 12k

ap2 on the other hand is going to cost around 16k depending on year
Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 PM

My personal suggestion -- first drive a couple AP1s and AP2s and decide which one you like, then track down the lowest mileage example you can afford. I don't know what kind of AP2 $15k can buy, but from the classifieds on this site it looks like it would likely buy you a pretty nice AP1 with under 50k miles. And if you search long enough you could probably find a decent AP2.

As far as reliability -- IIRC, early AP1s (MY 2000-2001) had a few issues that were resolved by about halfway through 2002 at the latest (2nd gear synchros, clutch buzz, oil bolts, maybe a couple others). To my knowledge, the only weak point on the AP1 that was resolved on the AP2 was the valve retainers, but IIRC this is really only important in an over-rev situation. Maybe some others will chime in with other issues but that's all I can think of. Keep in mind that every S2k is still a Honda and so chances are it will treat you well if it has been properly maintained by previous owners. I owned my first AP1 (MY 2002) from 39k to 50k miles and never had an issue with it, and I was at least the fourth owner of that car. Bottom line -- I wouldn't expect any significant differences in reliability of AP1 and AP2 cars.

If you are interested in AP1s, also note that the 2002-2003 cars have some notable improvements over the 2000-2001 cars: glass rear window with defroster, pleather upholstery on the center tunnel (instead of carpet), tweeter speakers in the doors, updated and improved ECU, and a couple others I'm probably forgetting. There are some other threads on this forum that discuss changes and revisions over each model year, so those might be helpful for you too. Hope this helps and good luck in your search
Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go for ap2

I bought my 05 ap2 about a month ago for $15,500 with 50k miles, but it also took me a month to find it, after looking in 3 different states. so my word of advice is just take your time and you'll find the one you want.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd go for an 03 and then add a supercharger with the savings from an AP2. AP2 looks better but if you are wanting the 9k redline I'd go for it. I definitely enjoy the 9k redline much more than the 8k.
That or get an AP2 and get aem ems or similar and raise the redline to 8600 or so. Best of both worlds then.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by s2kapow
My personal suggestion -- first drive a couple AP1s and AP2s and decide which one you like, then track down the lowest mileage example you can afford. I don't know what kind of AP2 $15k can buy, but from the classifieds on this site it looks like it would likely buy you a pretty nice AP1 with under 50k miles. And if you search long enough you could probably find a decent AP2.

As far as reliability -- IIRC, early AP1s (MY 2000-2001) had a few issues that were resolved by about halfway through 2002 at the latest (2nd gear synchros, clutch buzz, oil bolts, maybe a couple others). To my knowledge, the only weak point on the AP1 that was resolved on the AP2 was the valve retainers, but IIRC this is really only important in an over-rev situation. Maybe some others will chime in with other issues but that's all I can think of. Keep in mind that every S2k is still a Honda and so chances are it will treat you well if it has been properly maintained by previous owners. I owned my first AP1 (MY 2002) from 39k to 50k miles and never had an issue with it, and I was at least the fourth owner of that car. Bottom line -- I wouldn't expect any significant differences in reliability of AP1 and AP2 cars.

If you are interested in AP1s, also note that the 2002-2003 cars have some notable improvements over the 2000-2001 cars: glass rear window with defroster, pleather upholstery on the center tunnel (instead of carpet), tweeter speakers in the doors, updated and improved ECU, and a couple others I'm probably forgetting. There are some other threads on this forum that discuss changes and revisions over each model year, so those might be helpful for you too. Hope this helps and good luck in your search
Hmmmm. Ok, I'll definitely check out AP1 vs. AP2 and see which i prefer to drive. Only issue is I would hate to jerk around a salesman and drive the car if i had no intention of buying, although if they made me a deal i couldn't refuse I'd be able to pull the trigger.

Seems the 2000-2001 are off my list. Thanks for the very helpful words s2kapow. Time to go test drive some S2K's. =]
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just picked up an 01 SSM clean title with 40k miles, ap2 front conversion (no headlights), ap2v2 wheels, and a K&N FIPK for $14.5. The car was MINT inside and out... just thought id throw that out there to give u an idea.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keatonus
Just curious what you guys think about buying either a low mileage AP1 or a slightly higher mileage AP2. my budget is around $15K, I like the idea of better torque curve and freshened appearance of the AP2. But the 9K RPM redline of the AP1 is tempting.
What we think doesn't matter. As always: test drive to answer this question.

I've also read the AP1 has a few more problems than the AP2. So even though I might be getting higher miles AP2, it would be more reliable?
Depends on the history of the specific car you're talking about. Reliability is based on more than just AP1 versus AP2 and mileage.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by Keatonus' timestamp='1305170344' post='20566172
What we think doesn't matter. As always: test drive to answer this question.

Depends on the history of the specific car you're talking about. Reliability is based on more than just AP1 versus AP2 and mileage.
True enough, I wouldn't base my purchasing decision purely based on what others think. Just wanted some input from experience S2K owners about which they prefer and why. Luckily I got this weekend off so I am going to drive a couple S2K's and see what i think, unfortunately not a whole lot on sale here in sacramento, but i see at the very least an AP2 I can check out.

Quick Reply: Low mileage AP1? or Higher mileage AP2?