S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

To Lower or, Not to Lower... ... That is the Question

Old 05-04-2001, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm undecided about this, because I believe that the car would look better lowered (a bit). I notice, however; that most of you who have lowered your stooks don't have front chin spoilers.

My chin spoiler, @ stock heaght is already 1" from the entrance of my driveway when approaching at the most severe angle possible (without running over grass w/ rear tires).

By the way, this isn't my driveway (or house for that matter).

I was thinking about adjustable coilovers (I'm a real novice at this stuff, so please pardon my elementary questions). Do they typically let you raise to stock level? How is the ride @ various levels? Does the car have to be on a lift or jacked up to adjust? Any suggestions?

And of coarse, the main question, Lower or not lower????
Old 05-04-2001, 09:55 AM

Gary I've thought of lowering my Chinless S2k as well. Only 1/2 inch or so though. I don't like the look of a real lowered S2K (1 inch or more). It looks like the car is sitting on the wheels and to me does not look natural. Not to mention, I would think, that mainly lowering the car is performed (besides looks) for handling improvement. Too much on this car and I think you would start to forsake that. Given your already low clearance I probably would only lower a 1/2 inch MAX! However, I don't have any first hand experience in this and these are all just my opinions. Hey btw, where do you live? I'm from Owings Mills (Graduated from there), when to Towson State and all of my family still lives there. take care!
Old 05-04-2001, 10:02 AM

Since you have 'More to Come!' in your signature then just lower it, however in my opinion the car looks good as it is, I would just leave it.
Old 05-04-2001, 10:19 AM

Hey Silver,

I live on the Owings Mills/Pikesville line. The house in the pic is the Grey Rock Mansion which is about 5-600 yards from my house.

PLAYLIFE,

My future mod plans basically include dressing the car up with engine bay stuff & Rick'sand Muz's interior goodies.

So many people have told me to lower, but I'm thinking about the hastle factor, and the opinions supporting leaving the car @ stock (or small drop)are appreciated.
Old 05-04-2001, 10:39 AM

IMHO the NSX, S2000 and ITR look good and handle great (for street cars) from the factory - no lowering required. I have enough trouble with the stock groud clearance as it is with speedbumps, construction and potholes. If you want to tighten up the handling a little more go with a fully adjustable suspension, not just springs. I've owned a lowered (shocks/springs) Integra before I got my R and I still find that the stock setup on the ITR is better. I'm sure it's similar for the S2000 and the NSX. Do it right or don't do it at all .
Old 05-04-2001, 10:45 AM

Gary that's funny...I am from Craddock Estates in between Greenspring Avenue and Reisterstown Road. I used to love driving down Greenspring Valley Road, Park Heights Ave and all those backroads. I actually just bought my car from Northwest Honda while I was in town in March. You're lucky you live in such a good driving environment. Maybe we'll meet up during my next visit home.
Old 05-04-2001, 10:57 AM

Silver,

That as amaizing! Small world huh?

You are correct about the twisty yet smooth roads. We had the Rick Hessel organized MD/DC meet as you probably read about (& saw pics) and it was a blast. Let me know when you come to town & will "talk stookie" over a beer!
Old 05-04-2001, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, it is a small world, I'm originally from Baltimore and miss Greenspring Valley. I used to work on a "small" 100+ acre thoroughbred farm on Greenspring Valley Road. I had a Yamaha 125 enduro and loved screaming up Falls road to Greenspring Station and over to the farm. What fun it would be in the S2K. Maybe I need to drop by for a visit to my Dad this summer!

Oh, BTW, I suggest not to lower the car - it will rub and scrape more frequently. But, if you really like the look and are willing to put up with more annoyance, go for it.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Type R 1090
[B]IMHO the NSX, S2000 and ITR look good and handle great (for street cars) from the factory - no lowering required.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:53 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i like the looks of lowered!!! i did mine the cheap way (nuespeed springs...$130 plus instal)... no ill handling effects, but i do scrape the plastic things on the front of the car (no paint, just those little flaps underneath) once in a while.

Scot

Quick Reply: To Lower or, Not to Lower... ... That is the Question