S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lowering springs/shocks....confused on what to get.

Old 01-22-2003, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that it might be called that because not all cars have the coil around the shock as we do. Im sure that my last car did in the fronts but the rears weren't from memory.

This would be my guess at the explanation of the name. Hope this settles you down redleader

Personally Im not fond of them either but thats just b/c I cant afford them.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:22 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

hey People

I ran across an interesting article at godspeed and thought I'd share the link here that goes into good detail and about halfway through explains what a coilover has that springs and shocks alone don't have. It's pretty cool. Enjoy!
Old 02-25-2003, 02:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have a pic of what the H&R springs and Koni Sport shocks look like on an S2000?
Old 02-25-2003, 03:43 PM

never get springs only,if you get springs you need to also get some high quality shocks/struts like koni yellows. stiffer springs + stock shocks = you will be doing this all day long ->
Old 02-25-2003, 03:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RazorV3
[B]never get springs only,if you get springs you need to also get some high quality shocks/struts like koni yellows.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:00 PM

it depends on the damping capabilities of the stock shocks.

for Miatas that have the sport susp. that consists of the Bilstiens shocks....they can do a spring swap without shock replacement because the shocks have the damping ability for stiffer springs. all the "normal" suspension Miatas have to do both. If Honda put shocks that can mate with the much stiffer springs out there on the market.......they have done you guys a HUGE service. I don't know if they did or didn't.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:06 PM

to answer munckee's question:

you need aftermarket shocks because if you keep your stock shocks and use stiffer springs, your ride will be horrible and be bouncy. the OEM shocks are great, but are not good for aftermarket springs. if your new springs are stiff enough, you can even cause your stock shocks to blow and will end up buying new ones anyways. its better to do both at the time same time, you will save work and time if you're doing it yourself(or save money if you're paying someone).
Old 02-25-2003, 04:07 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

From what people have reported, the stock shocks appear able to handle stiffer springs. They may wear out sooner though. I would say you'll need shocks to realize the full potential of the springs maybe....
Old 02-25-2003, 07:13 PM

I believe the issue regarding the effect on shocks isn't the stiffness of the aftermarket springs but the resting height.

While in rest conditions the piston within the shock will be sitting in a different position wrt its sleeve. This means that the gas inside the shock will be under a higher pressure consistently and even more so once withstanding impact loading.

Think of a bike tyre pump with you thumb over the end. If you put your thumb over it when fully extended, the pressure within is increased as you compress the pump due to the decreasing volume and constant gas content.
This increase in load on the seals is going to mean the life span of the shocks will be reduced.

I hope my laymans explanation is
a. correct and
b. understandable.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Austblue
[B]I hope my laymans explanation is

Quick Reply: Lowering springs/shocks....confused on what to get.