S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lowest countersunk shift knob

Old 07-01-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lowest countersunk shift knob

Who makes the lowest countersunk shift knob for the S ?

The lowest I've seen is a Momo spherical knob.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that Muz'z screws all the way down till the thread is against the inside of the knob so really the only difference you're going to find between this and others is the thickness of material that is used in that particular area. This has got to be very minimal Id say so go for which ever counter-sunk knob that you think looks the best or is the lightest.

Have you seen Muz's or the voodoo?
Old 07-01-2003, 06:51 PM

i am new here... just wondering what's the difference between a regular knob and a countersunk knob?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:24 PM

Mannn, I will do my best to desribe the differences. The countersunk type will have threads deep into the knob itself. When installed the knob will screw in deep, lowering the overall height of the shift throw.

It's suppose to give you a better feel or quicker shift.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:25 PM

Austblu, wouldn't a heavier knob help with the shift throw?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Thread in the Muz knob is countersunk as far as it can possibly go. It goes practically all the way to the top of the knob. The knob is 2" in diameter and heavier than stock.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:34 PM

Simons2k what makes you think that a heavier knob would help the shift throw? If its heavier than it requires more energy to move it. Its not like you need the momentum to pass through the shift gate so the lighter it is the nicer the feel. Really it makes very little difference only the height makes a difference.

Mannn, Simons2k has answered your question but the reasoning is that by lowering the knob it is a shorter shift. If you exaggerate the scenario and extend the shaft 300mm think about how much larger the displacement is between the knob in 1st to 2nd gear.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Austblue
Simons2k what makes you think that a heavier knob would help the shift throw? If its heavier than it requires more energy to move it. Its not like you need the momentum to pass through the shift gate so the lighter it is the nicer the feel. Really it makes very little difference only the height makes a difference.

Mannn, Simons2k has answered your question but the reasoning is that by lowering the knob it is a shorter shift. If you exaggerate the scenario and extend the shaft 300mm think about how much larger the displacement is between the knob in 1st to 2nd gear.
Thanks Austblue...
I guess having a countersunk knob does give you the "feel" of shorter shift... but not really shorter mechanically (that would require short shifters, right?)
it would be like holding the shiftknob lower, and only easier with a countersunk knob, am i correct?
Old 07-01-2003, 09:57 PM

Well it is physically shorter so it doesn't just feel shorter.

Draw a straight line on a page then draw one line at 90degrees and another two at the bisecting angles. Notice that the longer these last two lines are the greater the displacement between their end points?

Now picture neutral as the straight line and 1st and 2nd gear as the right and left 45deg lines respectively. The movement needed at the end of the line(where the knob is) to shift from 1st to 2nd is increased proportionally to the length of the angled line(length of shaft).

Hope this helps it'd be a lot easier if I had diagrams.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Banned

Get a Muz knob! It's inexpensive, very beautiful, and of good quality. And the people at Muz are awesome; they care about customer satisfaction and happiness. Keep up the good work, Muz!

Quick Reply: Lowest countersunk shift knob