S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Luggage for your S2000?

Old 02-12-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Luggage for your S2000?

An incredible deal for $49.97 right now at many Costco's and water resistant for trunk top packing for extended trips!

I came across a mark-down deal on this Samsonite "water resistant" dual duffel pair at Costco in gray for $69.97. I measured and my guess in the store was correct. Even with the spare tire in place, you can put this big rolling duffel in the trunk, soft-top-downward, so the hard plastic backplate/frame fits perfectly across the top of the closed trunk. Then you have the second smaller bag to stuff in the remaining space (maybe). I liked this because you could load a lot of stuff in a 30" rolling with handle duffle and it makes it easy on the neck/back going to your room. Then I found it at the Woodmore store in Lanham, MD marked down to fiddy bucks!

Here is the new plan for the S2000 or a Miata. I bought that Surco removable trunk top rack and it struck me that with the welded seams and waterproof like skin, we could pack a lot of stuff into TWO of these and strap them on the back for weeklong trips like RtD. Even if it rains on the way, I'm hoping they are mostly waterproof so I can't vouch for this strategies success yet but I'm going for it. Bought one in gray for Jan and blue for me. So either for upside down trunk or exterior rack mount, you might want to grab these while they are $49.97 if you can find that deal before they sell out.

BTW, got the rack on Amazon Prime with free shipping, in two days for under $200.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a roller duffel a few months ago because my regular size luggage wouldn't fit in the trunk (it was too wide). For short trips my regular carry on size luggage fits perfectly in the lower portion of the trunk.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:00 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagotifosi
Then I found it at the Woodmore store in Lanham, MD marked down to fiddy bucks!
Wow, that's almost within walking distance for me. OTOH, born in Lanham, not sure how that store qualifies, geographically. No matter.

Looks like neat stuff but I bought fitted luggage for the Boxster, I need to see if it also fits the S2000 trunk reasonably despite very different trunk shapes.

OTOOH, the rack appeals more and more, not so much for travel as for shopping, borderline purchases. I still need a tile saw from a big-box store, won't fit in either car, gonna need to hitch up the trailer just for that?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

The Surco racks work well, easy on and off and they do not mar the paint. (Be sure it is absolutely clean under the pads) I finger tighten the bolts. I added oak slats to keep things from decending through the bars. I found many container bags are waterproof.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the oak slats. That's a classy touch.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Please read up up on traveling light with one bag. No one comes back from a trip and wishes that they had taken more stuff. You can learn to live for 5-7 days out of a carry-on bag and if you don't mind doing laundry or paying for fluff & fold, you can travel for months at a time with one carry-on bag. You'll learn to never check luggage again on an airline ($$$ saved).
Two 21" carry-on bags fit in the trunk of the S. I like the rack, and got one for future trips, but I've travelled for up to three months, being able to carry or wheel my bag as needed.

I got a matched set a few years ago of a carry-on 21" bag with wheels and backpack straps, and a matching daypack, that can also slide onto the pull handle of the carry-on. Two of these 2-bag units fit in the S trunk, with the spare tire and tool kit in place. I get my shoes and clothes into the carry-on and my CPAP and a big DSLR camera when I want to bring it in the day-pack. Two carry-on bags and two day packs are all the two people in the S really need.

Cosmos' idea to bring picnic supplies on the rack and having it available to hold a rear wheel & tire incase of a flat tire an event far from town appealed to me. Bringing bigger bags doesn't.

I hope to have many road trips in the S and think it's possible to travel light and smart about it, too.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Old 02-14-2015, 06:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dear god... I would never drill a rack onto my trunk like that. IMO, this is a perfect reason why you should have second vehicle for hauling stuff around with.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:34 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

The rack is removable. No drilling required. No marring as long as you have a clean surface when mounting it.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

See my signature

Quick Reply: Luggage for your S2000?