S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Mac's Project #2: Upgraded instrument cluster, no need for colored filters

Old 08-04-2003, 04:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, the buttons I'm talking about will be on a detachable board. Scan back through some of my previous posts to see what I mean. There will be a cable that hangs down around the steering column under the dash...plug a card in and start customizing.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:45 PM

For those who aren't already aware, I will be moving to south Florida on August 10th. The move itself will take several days. I will lose my net connection around the 6th and I have no specific date on when I will have a connection again (I'm shooting for mid-August by calling ahead and setting up an appt.).

So, please feel free to coninue asking questions, etc., but don't expect a reply for a couple of weeks while things settle down again. I already have a handful of windscreen control boxes put together, so I can start those once some people send their screens in. The instrument cluster upgrade is still in the design phase, but the algorithm design is coming along nicely. If things work out nicely, I hope to have a VERY basic prototype of the cluster working by the end of September.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:45 AM

Finally have things moved in and a good 2/3rds of the stuff is out of the box. I will start making windscreens in the next day or two for local guys, then start taking orders from out of state.

The instrument cluster project is still a go, but I just haven't had much time lately wiht the move to work on any more code.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:04 PM

By popular request I'm giving an update on this project...

I was so wiped out from finding all of the components for the windscreen tonight I never got the chance to work on them...early tomorrow morn, though, for sure

Anyway, to the project at hand! After being so wiped, I thought the best bet was to work on some algorithms (since I seem to do some of my best work when half brain dead ). I finished up the flowchart for the speedometer during "Standard" operating mode. If "Current Gear" detection mode has been enabled, the speedo will change it's color based upon a chart (a chart which I will more than likely make user adjustable). If disabled, the speedo will remain whatever color was chosen originally by the user.

I started on the flowchart for the tachometer running in "Standard" operating mode, and this one's a bear. So many options are possible it's a real chore to keep track of all of them. The chart is starting to flesh out nicely, but I hope I haven't missed anything yet. It needs to be as simplistic as possible without skipping any steps (we wouldn't want to see the tach turn red in VTEC only to stick that way at idle, now would we? ).

As always happens with projects of this magnitude, I end up doing the same thing...skipping over truly complicated parts all the while thinking "That will be a piece of cake, no need to worry about it now", and vice versa. The tach chart was one of those times, so I'm glad I started thinking about it now. The windscreens are late in getting started which means my cluster prototype will be late as well <sigh>, but at least I can say more of the code will be in beta stages once the prototype is ready.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:06 PM

The first few windscreens should be shipping tomorrow, so I'm partially happy (if I could remove a few remaining problems I'd be very happy, but so goes life). during my downtime I continue to work on the algorithms for the cluster.

I finished the state chart for the tach in "Standard" mode, now I'm working on the state chart for "Program" mode. Some pieces are straightforward, but I'm really taking my time for the speedo and tach (since there are so many possibilities on these two sections when it comes to programming). Mostly it comes down to a User Interface question...I don't have an LCD to display user prompts or options, so I'm forced to show everything through the lights currently on the board. I'm going to make a few educated guesses based upon my past experiences designing UIs, but during the prototyping phase I will definitely be asking for everyone's advice and suggestions. I want it to be simplistic without being too dumbed down.

The more algorithms I put together, the more pieces I realize still need to be fleshed out before a useful prototype is available. Peanut butter is tasty and jelly is yummy, but without the bread they're both just a huge mess. And the work continues...
Old 08-27-2003, 08:13 PM

PMs will be sent out shortly putting most of this thread in a nutshell and discussing deposits...
Old 08-27-2003, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry just found this thread and have a *few* ideas:

1: Temp/pressure read outs for things like ...

Oil Temp
Water Temp
Oil Presure
Fuel Pressure

2: Optional built in V1 read outs (REALLY LIKE THIS ONE)

3: A security feature... Something like the light dont come on...

4: Combination of one and two!!!!!!!

5: Outside temp reading?

6: Peak speed recall ?? (might be hard to do that one)

I think thats it...

Really of all those Options one and two ARE actually NEEDED FOR ME!!!! So I hope you can do them!!

-JB-
Old 08-27-2003, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the PM mac, I'm very interested. especially the vtech idea, I also like the flexability of color change.

-Dave
Old 08-27-2003, 10:11 PM

Q: What will it do?
A: I have tried to outline the basic functionality of the unit. Anything labeled as "standard" will be the default operation of the cluster. Anything labeled "optional" will need to be enabled by the user and may preempt a "standard" mode of operation.

1) Standard - 3 zones, each individually adjustable for color. zone1=tach, zone2=speedo, zone3=temp/gas/odo. The redline areas will be permanently red, no color adjustability.

2) Optional - VTEC cam color change...There's no reason why this has to be red as originally planned. So, if enabled, you can choose a separate color for the tach to change to once the VTEC cam is enabled.

3) Optional - Tach color fade...Choose 2, possible 3, colors. The color change can be an immediate change at user set rpm points, or the software can figure out a smooth fade between colors.

4) Optional - Current gear...The speedo color is affected by the gear currently selected. This will be based upon rpms and speed, not a shift gate, so this will not be perfect. I can connect to the clutch pin to determine when it's disengaged, and rpms/speedo being out of a certain small range will assume the car is in neutral.

5) Standard - Manual brightness control...It will connect to the stock incandescent bulb fixture so the stock brightness buttons can still be used.

6) Optional - Automatic brightness control...A photocell will be connected to the main board. If enabled, the cluster will automatically brighten when exposed to daylight.

7) Optional - Demo mode...We'll see how this one turns out. Essentially will vary the colors in each zone for some show flash.

8) Standard - RPM versus gear header...A header will be placed on the main board to allow installation of an optional RPM board (project #3). This optional board will show the rpms for the next two lower gears.

9) Standard - Reprogramming header...A header will be placed on the main board to allow in the field reprogramming by a certified technician (uhhh.....me, actually). I make no promises as to what updates will be made available, but if some cool idea comes along, I may add it in.

10) Optional - Shift lights...This will truly be an optional addon (for an extra expense, of course). The header for the lights will be standard on the main board since the cost is minimal, but the shift light board will be made and sold down the road.
Hey Mac! Thanks for the PM. First of all, I am excited to see where you are taking this project! I have a few questions:

1) In general, when you speak of Optional features that need to be "enabled by the user" -- does this mean I can order your cluster, enjoy it for a month, then tweak the colors, enable this feature, disable this feature, and enjoy it for 3 months, then go and adjust more colors, enable/disable features, etc? What exactly is involved in making such on-the-fly changes?

2) I love what you are doing with the Current Gear feature (#4)!

3) How likely are you to actually do Feature #8? -- Are these actual extra RPM arcs you are thinking about adding in? That's really something, I like it a lot. If I were to get this cluster, how long would I have to wait before I can get this add-in?

Thanks MacGyver, keep up the good work!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:44 AM

Gioire, Those are excellent ideas, so i have some bad news and some good news. The bad news is you shouldn't expect to see any of the things you mentioned in this project. The good news is I already have rough plans down for an add-on instrument cluster to display just about any info you can find a sensor for. This will more than likely be a backlit LCD panel placed someplace convenient, like the radio door, and may include rmeote displays for soe of the more precious sensors.

Steve, To answer your questions:
1) Optional means you can enable/disable it to your heart's content. I try my best to stay away from options on ANY project that would require reprogramming on my part or sending things back and forth to me. It's all done with a simple keyboard with 4-5 buttons. Just turn on programming mode and away you go (I have been working on the programming mode for the whole system lately...tricky, but I think the interface will be straightforward).
2) I figured you'd like that one
3) I'm thinking of making an add-on strip of LEDs that will sit directly above the tach (it may cover a small portion of the top of the tach, say 10-20%). I hope to include a header on the main board to run this add-on instead of trying to design a completely new product (with the increased expense that usually goes along with something self-contained). I wish I could give a time on that sort of thing, but it's just not possible. I will need to spend some time designing how I want the "communications" set up between the main board and add-on so it can be plug and play without any extra intelligence in the add-on board. That will take time away from the main project, but once the interface is set in stone and the main board is finished I could easily give you a time frame (if the interface is simplistic enough, probably a month, maybe two on the outside).

Quick Reply: Mac's Project #2: Upgraded instrument cluster, no need for colored filters