S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Made the jump --- What about HondaCare?

Old 09-19-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made the jump --- What about HondaCare?

Well, I sold the Benz ML430 and bought an '05 S2000 on Saturday. Made the decision to pass on the drive by wire and stability control in the '06 when the ECU for the Benz stability control went south. I do not need any more of that kind of advanced technology. Got about 400 miles on the S2000 so far, including a 5:30 AM jaunt on Sunday morning.

So how many folks opted for the Hondacare 7 year, 100,000 mile coverage? I had it offered at $1,295 (IIRC, have to look at the offer sheet). That was quite a bit lower than the $2,500 they wanted when I bought the Benz. On the other hand, with Mercedes quality going in the opposite direction from gas prices, maybe they need that much from the buyer in order to break even when these bastions of German engineering break. I am holding off on the Hondacare until I get a better idea how is has worked out for folks, as in "Do they honor claims in a reasonable manner?"

Here's a couple of informal (actually candid, it didn't know I was taking the pictures) pictures.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:33 PM
So1

Congrats
Old 09-19-2005, 07:33 PM

Congrats. I signed up for Hondacare and promptly cancelled it after reading on this forum that this product is not a real "warranty" in that it is not covered by the Magnusson act and that the dealer can deny any claim especially if your car has any modifications or on OEM equipment installed.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:58 PM

congrats....i think you'll be okay without the Hondacare.....I think it's more for peace of mind.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:04 PM

congrats on the 05!

the warranty is tranferable also so you can let the next owner eat some of the cost.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:10 PM

you are going to love your new S

BTW do yourself a favor and take to the track
Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am holding off on the Hondacare until I get a better idea how is has worked out for folks, as in "Do they honor claims in a reasonable manner?"
Do you plan to made ANY mods to your car while you own it, no matter how small or subtle? Read the fine print on that extended warranty. You will discover that it is nothing like the manufacturer's basic warranty. The presence of the slightess modification, regardless of it's significance to the broken part being claimed could nullify the coverage.
It seems to me that 1300 US bucks for an extended is somewhat pricey. A few years back, a group buy was negotiated in Eastern Canada for the extended to the tune of less than 600 Cannuck bucks. Mark up or what? You do the math.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:59 PM

Bob,
Nice pics. I can tell the S didn't see you taking them - it looks perfectly relaxed.
Let's go for a drive soon!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:28 PM

my color is nicer!
everyone says i have the nicest s2000 in california....

congrats on the new car... and i agree the extended warranty is not needed...
Old 09-21-2005, 12:11 PM

If I had to do it all over again, I would not get the HondaCare warranty. I got it for my wife's Passport and just two weeks ago something major happened in the engine and now the warranty folks are claiming I drove the car without oil, so they are not going to pay!!

Now, I'm no auto mechanic, but I know that if you drive a car without oil, you are going to get about 10 miles from home before the engine seized up. The car was around 150 miles from home, on the Mass Pike coming home from Sanford Maine. How the heck could it get that far without oil???

I'm currently in the process of either going to court or arbitration on this one. Oh, and the dealership checked out a "Check Engine" light two weeks prior, said they couldn't find anything wrong, so just go drive it until the light comes on again!!!

Should be interesting.

Anyways, if you get your warranty, make sure you do EVERYTHING the owners manual says, at the proper mileage, KEEP DOCUMENTATION on everything, and DON'T MOD THE CAR!!! Good luck.

Quick Reply: Made the jump --- What about HondaCare?