S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Maintenance Documentation

Old 08-07-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Maintenance Documentation

All,

I've owned my '08 NFR for something over 4 years now and have done all my own service thusfar.

She was due for an oil change today, so I took care of that. I've not exactly been diligent about recording the service up to now, so I pulled out all the manuals to look for the tables normally included for logging maintenance.

I found nothing in the Warranty, Consumer Information or Owner's Manual about such.

Am I missing some documentation as I just assumed there is a calender type thing somewhere to log this stuff.

If not, how do you document your maintenance?

And before someone chimes in that "they just remember it", I'm 59 years old and that type of "data" doesn't hang around for long.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

All my vehicles have a small notebook. I log date/milage/brief description of work done. Includes all fluid changes, rebalancing, alignments, etc. Some cars have a "fill in" maintenance schedule book and I also fill that out noting exactly what was performed.

I use this for my own reference than some future owner. Got the kids to do the same. I am down to 4 vehicles; so it really helps to have a reference.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

My 2006 has a separate Service History booklet. 37 pages of which mine has entries for the predelivery inspection and the first oil change at 3867 miles and seven (7) months later. And a service receipt from Sears for an oil change at 35,105 miles 10 weeks before I bought the car in July 2016. Nothing in between. I was amazed to find either as no one bothers with this.

Some of this information is available from CarFax and some service shows for mine there too. I did an immediate full fluid service on the car within a month of buying it so she's good.

No real need to memorialize this if you service the car to the Maintenance Minder or sooner.

-- Chuck
Old 08-07-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I created a spreadsheet that mimics the one in the service manual; I've customized it to the purchase date of my car and the miles when I bought it. I update it as I do any maintenance on the car and would add another item if it's not shown. For example, I'm going to do the axle nut TSB next week along with changing the coolant and spark plugs so that will be my next update.

Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Y366hc/pubhtml

I also save a copy of all my receipts for the parts that I've ordered as a verification of purchases. I don't anticipate selling my S2000 but you never know so for ease of mind to the future owner this helps solidify my statement of using OEM and certain brand oils i.e., Amsoil for the differential.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
No real need to memorialize this if you service the car to the Maintenance Minder or sooner.

-- Chuck
I change my oil on a different schedule for the Maintenance Minder. I just note when I actually perform the change but do not reset the minder. Why? So as not to lose the Minder telling me if something else needs attention. If you reset constantly, it throws the thing off, apparently. The magic just backs me up.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:11 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

If you think it adds value to the car by all means memorialize this for the new owner. I keep a record of what I do and when, but just for my own information.

I drive less than the maintenance-minder or owner's manual oil-change interval every summer and change before storage (and get an oil analysis). But this data isn't even on the computer I'm using this morning (but it's somewhere!). The maintenance minder says I have 30% oil life remaining but that's factory set for dino-oil and synthetics can go twice as far without changes. Annual oil/filter change and oil analysis for me. Biennial gearbox and differential change. All coming up in November when it's time to get dirty under the car. All well before the maintenance schedule calls for these changes. Oil is relatively cheap, even the synthetics.

Regarding oil analysis, I only have last year's sample so no historical data. The analysis is useful for spotting abnormal internal wear on the engine. All seemed well last year so I can compare this year's sample.

-- Chuck
Old 08-08-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Excel spreadsheet with date, miles, and service done - and saved the receipts for all parts/fluids.