S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Manual Transmission

Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission

Hey there guys, I am a new poster at these forums and am looking forward to purchasing a Honda S2000 around the end of April/beginning of May.

I actually have never driven manual transmission before and am looking forwards to learning how to use it, as I have only heard good things about the S2000's transmission.

My question is: How did you guys learn how to use manual transmission? Did any of you buy a s2000 and just learn from the getgo with your new car? Finally, what should I do to go about learning manual?

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 PM

Now that I think about it, how will my test drive go?!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want me to be dead honest:

When I was 16 I would browse the local ads on cars to see if any "low-end" cars had a MT, if they did. I went for a "test" drive. MT came verrry natural to me. The hardest part to learn for me personally was the initial take off since that's where most cars differ. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM

Learned in an old 1980 Toyota Tercel I had in high school (bucket). Have someone who knows how to drive a manual take you to an open parking lot and have fun! You'll get the hang of it

Good luck and show us some pics of your new S when you get it
Old 03-15-2008, 08:19 PM

i learned maybe 6 months ago on my 240sx. i bought it auto, had it converted manual and been driving the car just past a year now.

it is definately not easy and frustrating at first. you'll be stalling out a lot but keep trying again. you should get the hang of it in the first 2-3 hrs. you'll be able to drive it the next day but still going to shut off a lot the first week or so. after a month you would be pretty used to the car by now and can drive normally with traffic. but i would say it would take at least 3 months for you to get familiar with the whole manual and ur car.

it's been 6 months for me and i've driven maybe 4 different manual cars (s2000 included). the s2000 was pretty easy to get adjusted to, much better than the g35 coupe and audi tt i drove. i would recommend learning it in a beater car first but i know a friend that learned it in his s2000 also. shouldn't be a problem but i would suggest going VERY easy with the car the first month or so b/c ur shifts and techniques will suck and most people want to shift really fast w/o getting used to it first. learn how to rev match downshift, heel toe downshift and of course to shift well.

here's an awesome video on youtube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=B59-pWSPoZU&feature=user

this guy is really good also watch the advanced techniques he posted i'm still trying to perfect them. (my timing if off when im blipping the gas) either way good luck to you don't worry too much you will be driving it and enjoying it in no time.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Yeah, I will definitely post pics when I get the car.

Do you think it's a good idea for me to learn manual after I get the s2000?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the tips Thug Lyfe~
Old 03-15-2008, 08:26 PM

well damn if you're going to test drive the car w/o knowing how to drive it, you might as well buy it blindly. not only will you make a fool out of yourself but won't be able to tell anything about how the car drives. heres ur 2 options:

1. before u buy it learn it with someone that CORRECTLY knows how to drive manual. i say correctly b/c i've seen a lot of idiots that dono how to properly drive and it'll hurt ur car and ur pockets if ur not driving it correctly. if you have to even take a lesson at a driving school to at least familiarize yourself.
2. (i would recommend this) take someone you know that knows how to drive and some1 u can trust and have them test it out with you next to him. i recommend this because even if you do learn manual unless you drive it everyday and get urself used to it it'll still be unnatural to u and you won't get the full benefit of the test drive. but i'd say let some1 test drive it for u but test drive it urself along with them.

sorry for making such long posts but yea, good luck man i'm sure even if u buy the car blindly you'll still love it. (and i only test drove the car once lol thas how much i liked the car)
Old 03-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by FASTlaneS2K,Mar 15 2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I will definitely post pics when I get the car.

Do you think it's a good idea for me to learn manual after I get the s2000?
where are you located? I'm getting rid of my winter beater soon.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above posts. Try to find a beater and get the basics down before you drive the S2K. I've been driving manual for the past 12 years and it took me a few days to get adjusted to the S2K's gear box. Also considering that my last car was a 02' Honda Civic 5 speed. The initial take off is the tricky part.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission