S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Mesh Air Box Cover

Old 10-18-2000, 08:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

While on the NSX board I read about a "mesh air box cover." The sound of the S2K with the air box cover off is much improved, but is very hard on the eyes with the hood up. I understand it would be an undertaking, but it sure would be nice to have a cover like this for the S. Anybody have any ideas, somone who could do it? Maybe we could talk RM into this if we don't have anyone local (Rick/Mingster).
Old 10-18-2000, 09:04 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think most people prefer more power over more sound. Removing the airbox cover (or making it mesh) would rob power from the engine by allowing the intake to such warmer air. Are you really that concerned with sound? You my try cutting out the interior wall (inside the box) as it's only purpose seems to be to quiet-down the intake. If you try this, then please report back the results!
Old 10-18-2000, 09:59 AM

Personally I think most S2000's do NOT have much warm air under the hood once moving. Removing the airbox cover (or making it mesh) would if anything add power from the engine by allowing the intake to take in more air. I am really that concerned with sound and power. I will not try cutting out the interior wall (inside the box) as I do not want to permenantly modify the box. Once I or somone else develops a mesh cover I will post some results.

BTW, I do think alot of people are somewhat concerned with sound or lack thereof from the motor. Look at all of the guys droping 1k to 1.5k on exhausts with little reported gain, but excited due to "better sound." Try losing the box top cover and see what I mean. If you are that concerned with warm air under the hood, cooler days are coming. Happy driving!
Old 10-18-2000, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with STL - Warm air = BAD!!!

Just because you get more warm air (has this been proven?), it doesn't that it is better than less cool air.

The design of the OEM intake is very good.

I am, however, concerned about the sound of the car. On the track it is sometimes tough to tell where you are in the rpm-band unless you look down at the tach. I would like some more sound but currently there are not many options that will increase performance.
Old 10-18-2000, 12:03 PM

Hey don't get me wrong. Of course warm air is bad. All I am trying to say is, once the car is moving, warm air is blown out. Do what you want.
Old 10-18-2000, 12:03 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Clovis:
Personally I think most S2000's do NOT have much warm air under the hood once moving.
Have you measured that or is that just a guess? A couple guys on H-A.net actually put more "heat-shielding" around their closed airboxes, and both mentioned positive results from better isolating the intake from engine heat. Your idea is exactly opposite of their findings.

Originally posted by Clovis:
Removing the airbox cover (or making it mesh) would if anything add power from the engine by allowing the intake to take in more air.
That only holds true if the stock box is really retrictive. I'm not saying is isn't restrictive, but looking at how good of a job Honda did on the exhaust, I think the intake might already been very well tuned. Adding a K&N (or some other) less restrictive filter would probably be a much better move.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clovis:
[B]I am really that concerned with sound and power. I will not try cutting out the interior wall (inside the box) as I do not want to permenantly modify the box.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:16 PM

Listen, I don't care if you think it makes more power/less power, hot air/cold air, sound/no sound/, fruit loops/no fruit loops. I personally think that when people replace the stock filter with a K&N or Comptech that the open box looks unfinished. When I heard about a Mesh Cover on the NSX board it sounded like a solution we may also be able to use. If you don't have an aftermarket filter, or if you don't think this is a good idea, then don't worry about it. Sorry
Old 10-18-2000, 01:41 PM

I personally did not like the design of the cover either so below I detailed what I did.

Take off the top of the cover and cut two big holes in it. Make sure they are extra big so that you can run big tubing to it but still have space for the sound to go around. Run this tubing down to the mesh grill as a sort of ram-air. As an intermediate step I bought two of the biggest professional hairstylist hair dryers I could fine. Make sure you set them to blow cool air not hot! Convert them to 12v and pipe them in the runs. SUPERCHARGER!!
Totally toasted this Alpine M3 the other day! Too easy!

Once I accidently bumped one to hot and lost like 50 hp! DOH.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by 2000Power:
As an intermediate step I bought two of the biggest professional hairstylist hair dryers I could fine.
I don't wish to sound like a none believer, because low boost electric supercharging is of great interest to me, but converting a 110 or 240 VAC hair dryer to 12DC. How'd ya do that one?
Old 10-18-2000, 01:55 PM

Oops. I meant to say I turned one to HOT and it felt like it pulled moreI'm gonna try to turn them both to hot some day and try that! I figure on a cold day the engine needs some help warming up. Do a little engine pre-action warming. Anyone know how this will affect my fuel map?

Quick Reply: Mesh Air Box Cover