S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

this might explain why do our cars hydroplane...

Old 10-08-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you addressed me I'll respond to your comments, even though you were actually commenting about someone else's post. The topic has merit even if it's starting out all screwed up.

Originally Posted by TheChemist,Oct 8 2006, 12:56 PM
We've got some problems with physics and consevation of mass...
"Conversion of mass?" Don't you mean "conversion of energy?"

going faster does not make "more water to push aside." As you correctly assert,
I didn't assert any of this , but anyway ...

speed affects "amount of time the tire has to push aside the standing water." So, the faster one goes the less TIME you have to remove the water under the tire. The type of tread pattern and depth of the rain channeling grooves will affect this, as long as the tire is going in a straight line with no changes in speed, and no directional changes the tire will behave as advertised.

As this is where driver in-put comes into play: a sudden drop (or increase) in speed or an abrupt steeing input (all of which can happen on the highway with standing water) can defeat the hydrodynamics of the rain channels in the tire (assuming the driver isn't already going too fast for the tread characteristics and road conditions). A layer of water then separates the tire from the road surface, and voila, no more traction.

Bottom line: if you drive in the rain with tires that have little tread depth (or are meant for dry conditions) you run a significant risk of hydroplaning. Also, different tires perform differently in the rain, so SLOW DOWN in the rain and have fun when it dries out
Can't argue with that either, so .

Maybe the conversion of mass thing comes into play when the car hydroplanes into a solid object and is converted from a nice car into a mass of rubble.
j/k

I still want to know more about these S2000 handling problems that cause accidents indepently of driver actions.
(You didn't say that, but it has been implied by someone else, and I want to know what they were getting at.)
Old 10-08-2006, 11:43 AM

Red MX5,

Yeahhh....well....I know what you're getting at...(I'm at a loss for words)

Didn't Audis suddenly accelerate without people hitting the throttle?

I think it's a case of selective memory.

BTW- Laughing at the mass conversion comment!!! That's great!!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheChemist,Oct 8 2006, 02:43 PM
Red MX5,

Yeahhh....well....I know what you're getting at...(I'm at a loss for words)

Didn't Audis suddenly accelerate without people hitting the throttle?

I think it's a case of selective memory.

BTW- Laughing at the mass conversion comment!!! That's great!!
I always wondered about the Audi thing, but I guess that's normal for a habitual skeptic.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Oct 8 2006, 09:20 AM
Good writeup , but since everyone is being anal about what constitutes driver error I'm going to be anal too, and point out that you totally forgot to mention aerodynamics.

These arguments over what constitutes driver error crack me up. If I spin out when I'm driving 80 MPH on a frozen lake, is that driver error? Doesn't it depend on whether I did it on purpose or not? The only way to learn a cars limits is to exceed them, so is it always a driver error when the limits are exceeded? I see and agree with your thinking on this, but there will be some who will never get it.
Personally I think I've hydroplane'd every car that I've owned. Suprizingly the car I hydro'd the most was a honda accord back in my mid teen to later teens.

Never once got in an accident.

My rule that I came up with when I was 17 during many speedy trips to and from San Francisco to Eugene OR (alomost always raining pretty good) was when I started to hydro I'd say LIFT to my girlfriend and we both lifted our legs up. Not sayin it's the best decision to do, but it has always worked for me. I know about engine braking, but I'm talking about being in the correct gear at the time.

Jon
Old 10-08-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kiefer74,Oct 8 2006, 04:15 PM
Personally I think I've hydroplane'd every car that I've owned. Suprizingly the car I hydro'd the most was a honda accord back in my mid teen to later teens.

Never once got in an accident.

My rule that I came up with when I was 17 during many speedy trips to and from San Francisco to Eugene OR (alomost always raining pretty good) was when I started to hydro I'd say LIFT to my girlfriend and we both lifted our legs up. Not sayin it's the best decision to do, but it has always worked for me. I know about engine braking, but I'm talking about being in the correct gear at the time.

Jon
There is a big difference between hitting a small puddle and having one wheel hydroplane, and driving at speed on top of a sheet of water. What scares me is AWD cars with stability control that masks momentary hydroplaning. I count on steering feel to alert me that I need to rein it in a little, and when it isn't there, it's scary.

Slicks can also be pretty scary in the rain.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive in the rain all the time, never experienced hydroplaning in the S2000 but I think the Potenza S02's will do an OK job.