S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Mileage vs. Year

Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage vs. Year

Hey fellow sk2 members,

So i'm about to purchase an s2k and i have a few options but i just can't make up my mind. I've been wanting to buy an s2k for a long time but i recently graduated last spring and with a perm job, been saving up for one. I will be purchasing my s2k in maybe a month or two months from now. Now i will be using it as a daily driver and due to that, i'm wondering what would you do if you were in my place. These are my options...

(prices before taxes)
1- 2002 with 27k miles for ~ 18-19k $CAD
2- 2005 with 58k miles for ~ 21k $CAD
3- 2007-2008 with 15k-20k miles for ~ 27-29k $CAD

Considering it's going to be my daily driver, i'm leaning towards #3 (mostly sold at dealers) due to the low milage as my driving will add on to it. Now pricewise, its a big out of my league, i think anything around low 20ks i can purchase, pay about half down and finance the rest and have it paid off within a year. I've had so many issues with my first car that i just want a clean car, very good condition (body/engine), even if it meant paying above my price limit.

Even though option #1 is there, i really would like an AP2 model, so i'm kind of crossing #1 off. What would be the best option for me? Should i really be worried about that 60k miles? I know, browsing around, a lot of people will have reached higher mileage and their engine and body are in amazing condition....but i guess all my experiences with my first car got me all paranoid about my next purchase.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you said you don't really want the AP1, but if it were me....I'd be buying the AP1 and putting the other $10k in the bank (when compared to option 3).

Miles don't seem to matter much on the car, provided it had it's fluid changes and adjustments in a timely fashion.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I always go lower mileage over newer year unless I prefer a certain year. For me I'd spend extra for an AP1 with low miles. What do I drive? An AP1 with low miles - so I am biased.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy the nicest car you can afford.

Honestly, I don't know why people get so obsessed with mileage. 30k vs 60k is a mute point for a Honda engine as long as its well taken care of. Choose whether you want an AP1 or AP2. Then decide whether you want AP2v1 or AP2v2. Finally, see which one fits your budget. There is nothing wrong with financing the more expensive car if you want it that bad. At least you have a job that can support it.. most s2000 owners I know bought their cars with financial aid money plus a minimum wage job. Can you say paycheck to paycheck?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest you go for the lowest miles and the car with the least amount of owners.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me I'd go for #1. Seems like the best bang for your buck. Good luck in your search though.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrowNTyGeR
Now pricewise, its a big out of my league
Given that, are you considering total cost of ownership? If option 3 is out of your league are to going to be able to afford the fluid changes, frequent alignments, frequent tire replacements, insurance, etc? Buying the S is just the start.

What would be the best option for me? Should i really be worried about that 60k miles? I know, browsing around, a lot of people will have reached higher mileage and their engine and body are in amazing condition....
As always with these threads: test drive and do your due diligence -- i.e. research the history (maintenance, title, Carfax, etc). You need to consider much more than just price, year and miles. Don't fixate on just one or two numbers. The maintenance and care of the vehicle(s) you're considering really matter. Refer to the countless prior threads on this topic -- none of this is new info.

but i guess all my experiences with my first car got me all paranoid about my next purchase.
What went wrong with your first car purchase? Learn from your mistakes.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^This. You have to factor in the cost of maintenance. If it is going to be your DD, you will be doing at least 3-4 oil changes per year, maybe one diff fluid and one transmission fluid per year as well. Tires, at least for the rear, will probaby be done yearly (I have had my car for 2.5 years and have had to purchase rear tires once and a full tire set once as well). And I guarantee you that you will start looking at some mods within a few months - things like a lip, spoiler, intake, exhaust, etc.

Based on the information provided, I would go with option 2. The AP2 version had all the issues with the AP1 corrected and is probably easier to work price on. I bought an 05 from Honda that came CPO with 53,500 miles on it. I have had no issues with it other than having to have a top latch replaced (under warranty from CPO as well as the extended warranty I purchased from Honda). It seems that would be the best technical and price point for your needs while still giving you the ability to keep remaining payments low so that you can properly service your S.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is very much agreed upon that 06+ is the preferred MY for DD. I do DD. I own an 06. I agree. S2000 is a pretty raw car. Even though AP1 owners find MY06+ soft, it is definitely not compared to most other similar cars (370Z, Z4, Miata, etc.)

It appears that some people go crazy with fluid changes. I follow the manual. Oil changes are around every 6600 miles (MY06+ calculates this based on your driving style). Diff fluid at 30K, transmission at 60K. All are pretty affordable. S2000 uses pretty standard 10W30 oil. My oil change service costs ~$50. ($25 for 5 gal synthetic oil + $8 for OEM filter + $18 for oil change and check-up at Honda service).
Two things will cost more than a regular car:

1. Insurance - totally depends on you. Could cost a lot, or similar to a regular car.
2. Tires - cheap tires are available, but what's the point. High performance tires need to be changed more often. I change them about every twenty months. Again this totally depends on the tires, your driving style, etc. I never needed frequent alignments. When I had it checked during the last tire change, we noticed that the alignment stayed true for almost two years. No adjustments were really necessary.

I disagree with previous comments. I find S2000 very affordable to upkeep, like all Honda products. This is the reason why I'm not driving a Porsche, but an S2000. I suggest that you spend most of your money on buying the best car possible. It very unlikely that it'll cause issues down the road. That's what I did. At first I hesitated to put all that money in a used car. But I am glad I did.

Last but not least: VSA is a very nice safety feature. It is only available in MY06+. Search for spin out accidents, you'll see all involved cars are MY05 or earlier. S2000 is more tail happy than most other cars, and VSA is very effective in preventing such accidents.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hicabi
It is very much agreed upon that 06+ is the preferred MY for DD. I do DD. I own an 06. I agree. S2000 is a pretty raw car. Even though AP1 owners find MY06+ soft, it is definitely not compared to most other similar cars (370Z, Z4, Miata, etc.)

It appears that some people go crazy with fluid changes. I follow the manual. Oil changes are around every 6600 miles (MY06+ calculates this based on your driving style). Diff fluid at 30K, transmission at 60K. All are pretty affordable. S2000 uses pretty standard 10W30 oil. My oil change service costs ~$50. ($25 for 5 gal synthetic oil + $8 for OEM filter + $18 for oil change and check-up at Honda service).
Two things will cost more than a regular car:

1. Insurance - totally depends on you. Could cost a lot, or similar to a regular car.
2. Tires - cheap tires are available, but what's the point. High performance tires need to be changed more often. I change them about every twenty months. Again this totally depends on the tires, your driving style, etc. I never needed frequent alignments. When I had it checked during the last tire change, we noticed that the alignment stayed true for almost two years. No adjustments were really necessary.

I disagree with previous comments. I find S2000 very affordable to upkeep, like all Honda products. This is the reason why I'm not driving a Porsche, but an S2000. I suggest that you spend most of your money on buying the best car possible. It very unlikely that it'll cause issues down the road. That's what I did. At first I hesitated to put all that money in a used car. But I am glad I did.

Last but not least: VSA is a very nice safety feature. It is only available in MY06+. Search for spin out accidents, you'll see all involved cars are MY05 or earlier. S2000 is more tail happy than most other cars, and VSA is very effective in preventing such accidents.
Well written. I agree with the points you made.

Quick Reply: Mileage vs. Year