S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Minor update on info about 2004 S2000

Old 08-29-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor update on info about 2004 S2000

Well I went down to showcase Honda today to officially make sure my 2004 model was on order. Looks like I missed the first two allotments which they will be receiving in November and December, but I will receive a January model

As for the info this is the update:

-The color chart information that we received awhile back was accurate, but not definite.
-Rumors where confirmed as to the ones that we have been hearing. But this is some info I have not read:
1. The headlights are being modified due to complaints that we are blinding people. With such a bouncing ride I am told that these blind people on the highway. We will receive lights that somehow are self leveling to avoid this.
2. The softer suspension has been confirmed and this is again due to the bouncing ride. So we might luck out and the car will ride similar, but be less bouncy like many aftermarket setups.
3. The official specs on the 2004 will be released this week in Japan and information should be posted on hondanews.com

I don
Old 08-29-2003, 09:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shockwave667
[B]Well I went down to showcase Honda today to officially make sure my 2004 model was on order. Looks like I missed the first two allotments which they will be receiving in November and December, but I will receive a January model

As for the info this is the update:

-The color chart information that we received awhile back was accurate, but not definite.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:51 AM

I was under the impression that most of the people posting about their lights blinding people were those with aftermarket suspensions. I didn't realize that stock car did this?
Old 08-30-2003, 08:30 AM

I never had the impression that it was so much an issue of blinding people as it was that the lights tend to bounce which makes them look like the brights are flashing off and on.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see - to have a correcting headlight system that would be fast enough and reliable enough to be in a constant correction mode:

1) Device to detect angle
2) Device to detect acceleration/yaw
3) Servo-drive circuit and algorithm to detect and correct without overshoot
4) Servo-driven electric motor

etc.

I find it incredible that they would do this - the only corrective lights I know of correct for the impact of heavy loads in the trunk, which tend to raise the angle of the headlights; and I am not aware this is done for other drivers, but to maintain proper light alignment for the OWNER. Plus, they are not constantly correcting, but work on what we call in the EE biz a "smoothing" algorithm, that sort of works like a std deviation (it is a weighted average which throws out the lows and highs of the measurement curve).

This would be a costly accessory with limited sales appeal and high maintenance costs, if it would have to actually correct "jiggly" ride light bounce - I have never once felt "blinded" by any S2000 - it is usually ythe nitwits with hyperbulbs who feel compelled to drive around with their fogs on as well in clear or rainy weather.

We will see, no pun intended. And I still believe that a more compliant (note that I did not say "softer") ride is not incompatible with better real-wrold handling, reducing impact steer and tail-happiness in long sweepers with a mid-arc bump.

Old 08-30-2003, 10:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
[B]Let's see - to have a correcting headlight system that would be fast enough and reliable enough to be in a constant correction mode:

Old 08-30-2003, 01:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
[B]Let's see - to have a correcting headlight system that would be fast enough and reliable enough to be in a constant correction mode:

Old 08-30-2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by SECRET AP1

Nevertheless, I like the way the S2000 headlights are right now, but I do recognize why other drivers hate them.

Old 08-30-2003, 02:40 PM

I believe the European HID's are self leveling. Could we possibly be getting these?
Old 08-30-2003, 02:43 PM

Maybe I'm talking about something different, but I know riding in my friend's Mini, when you first start the car up or stop on a severe hill, you can see the beams adjusting differently.

Matt

Quick Reply: Minor update on info about 2004 S2000