S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Most FUNCTIONAL aero parts discussion

Old 10-06-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most FUNCTIONAL aero parts discussion

There are alot of nice and fugly looking kits out for the s2k.

Some like kits because they look nice, some like kits because they are functional.

I'm just wondering what everyone's take is on the most functional:
(one brand for each of the following

1. Front Bumper
2. Front Lip (AP1 or AP2)
3. Side Skirts
4. Rear Bumper
5. Rear Spoiler
6. Hood

optional

7. front fenders
8. hardtop
9. rear diffuser

ugly or nice... doesn't matter.
not sure if there has been a post like this, but I think it might be fun to discuss.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hardtop.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:38 PM

looking for brands of each

like... which brand hardtop? mugen...

which brand front bumper, sides, etc...
Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM Hardtop
Old 10-06-2006, 01:42 PM

The hardtop would be the most functional, even more so if it was the spoon hardtop. And I would assume that the Mugen top was more functional than OEM because of the smoother lines.

The only bodykit that I have heard that has had any R&D done on functionality is the c-west kit. I don't know if it was the version 1 or 2 kit but the version 2 does look much more functional over the 1st.

The hood would help with cooling the engine compartment, even more so in FI S's, but even in stock form it generates decent amounts of heat. So take that as you will. The only difference here would be having vents directly over the header/ turbo/supercharger whichever fits your application the best.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WalkingDrunken,Oct 6 2006, 01:42 PM
The hardtop would be the most functional, even more so if it was the spoon hardtop. And I would assume that the Mugen top was more functional than OEM because of the smoother lines.

The only bodykit that I have heard that has had any R&D done on functionality is the c-west kit. I don't know if it was the version 1 or 2 kit but the version 2 does look much more functional over the 1st.

The hood would help with cooling the engine compartment, even more so in FI S's, but even in stock form it generates decent amounts of heat. So take that as you will. The only difference here would be having vents directly over the header/ turbo/supercharger whichever fits your application the best.
He actually probably is right...I just think the other hardtops don't compare to the OEM lookswise. Either way, I can't really think of any hardtop that wouldn't help. The spoon hardtop, although extremely weird looking, is supposed to be awesome.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Functional for what exactly?
Old 10-06-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Oct 6 2006, 03:46 PM
Functional for what exactly?
to "better" what the car was designed for. road racing, auto cross, etc...
Old 10-06-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I think that by far, the most functional hood is the OEM hood. Being aluminum, it is lighter than the aftermarket CF hoods and it does an incredibly good job of enclosing the engine compartment and keeping moisture and debris out. Hell it even comes painted to match the rest of the car. Can't beat that!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:55 PM

(first off, i have an aerospace engineering degree so these comments aren't TOTALLY outta my ass )

The hardtop would definatly help more than anything else. The soft top isnt the aerodynamic thing in the world.

Past that I'd say a good rear wing would generate improved downforce and help in higher speed situations.

THe front lip is really just for looks. Canards are pretty much just for looks. The rear diffuser may help at increasing downforce, but again only at higher speeds.

Few things you just "bolt on" to a car are going to help improve the aerodynamics. Aerodynamic pieces on race cars are held to extrememly tight tolerances so things like lips and bumpers that we buy for cars really cant compare.

As for the hood, I dont know that it would even help underhood temps. Carbon fiber is not as good of a thermal conductor as aluminum so it may trap more heat then you think. The vented ones may help, but again, it would require some design thoght beyond "cool looks" and to ensure improved airflow. Vents in the wrong place could create stagnation and dimished airflow.

Thats just my educated guess.

Quick Reply: Most FUNCTIONAL aero parts discussion