S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Mountain driving, speeding or not...

Old 05-13-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Mountain driving, speeding or not...

Ok, so now I'm a little paranoid. I just got my first speeding ticket in 15 or more years (can't remember exactly). This happened on the way back from RTD. I kind of feel stupid for asking this but just want to clarify. Say I'm on a 55mph road but a lot of that road is very curvy and say I'm doing 40 mph around a 25mph marked curve. I'm still well under the speed limit and my tires aren't squealing and the car isn't lurching or doing anything crazy I'm fine right? The curve signs are just recommendations as far as I understand and are meant for all vehicles. So has anyone here had problems with cops pulling them over for fast cornering while still under the road's speed limit? I'm not talking about if you were sliding of squealing tires.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:30 PM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

Yes. At the time of the ticket you can state you were under the speed limit. LEO can disagree but the point is establishing a point for court later.
Take it to court. Explain your case after reviewing who owns the road, who was the LEO, and what are the actual specifics of the law in question. Build you case around refuting the actual highlights of the written law.
Lots of things will come out to dry in court. It takes time but it may be worth it.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I think that's correct. The yellow speed signs are cautions rather than limits. Were you pulled over for speeding or for reckless driving and they ended up reducing it to speeding?
What state are you in?
Old 05-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Yes. At the time of the ticket you can state you were under the speed limit. LEO can disagree but the point is establishing a point for court later.
Take it to court. Explain your case after reviewing who owns the road, who was the LEO, and what are the actual specifics of the law in question. Build you case around refuting the actual highlights of the written law.
Lots of things will come out to dry in court. It takes time but it may be worth it.
Ok that makes sense. Here in WV I'm not too paranoid because there aren't many cops out and i am disciplined to stay in my lane and not be a jackass but the S is comfortable and fun at far faster speeds than posted on curves (as we all know).

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I think that's correct. The yellow speed signs are cautions rather than limits. Were you pulled over for speeding or for reckless driving and they ended up reducing it to speeding?
What state are you in?
Yes, I made another post about it, floating around near this one. My ticket was reduced to speeding. Not reckless driving. I live in WV and the ticket was in VA.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

In this case, you may be able to prove you were not speeding. (If indeed you were less than the posted speed limit for the road) Even if you were exceeding the recommended yellow signs speed, you can show, perhaps, the weather was perfect, roads dry and warm, no traffic, car able to handle it, and tires to match. That is, for the conditions at the time of the ticket, you were not speeding but safely negotiating the turns.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 1,004 Posts

If he wrote he ticket as 59 in a 40 mph zone, and it WASN'T a 40 mph zone, but merely a 40 mph suggestion for a curve, then the ticket can be thrown out.

If he wrote it as whatever that States equivalent of too fast for conditions, then its his word against yours, and guess what, your word isn't as good as his. All he has to do is say curve suggested speed is 40, and you were going much faster than that. You could argue all you want about tire, conditions, and cars capabilities. But if cop says in his opinion, you lose.

But it seems like him 'doing you a favor' may bite him if what he wrote isn't really valid.

My take is, its a play on car salesman tactic of I do you a favor, you feel obligated to do me one. I talked to 'the manager' and got you a deal, so you buy a car you don't really want. I reduced your ticket, so you just pay it, even if the ticket he changed it from was actually cheaper or less points.

Their favor is no favor at all.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Are you changing this to a "what if?" Yellow signs are officially advisory. Eveywhere in the USA. No local tweaks to trap unwary motorists. Makes no difference if the advisory is for cows crossing the road, low flying aircraft, or a recommended maximum speed to take a curve or ramp. It's not illegal to ignore advice -- most of us do it daily. You cannot be charged with a non-crime.

-- Chuck
Old 05-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Unless the sign states "Limit," it's advisory. I have never had a cop bother me for exceeding an advisory while within the limit in any state I've been to.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
If he wrote he ticket as 59 in a 40 mph zone, and it WASN'T a 40 mph zone, but merely a 40 mph suggestion for a curve, then the ticket can be thrown out.

If he wrote it as whatever that States equivalent of too fast for conditions, then its his word against yours, and guess what, your word isn't as good as his. All he has to do is say curve suggested speed is 40, and you were going much faster than that. You could argue all you want about tire, conditions, and cars capabilities. But if cop says in his opinion, you lose.

But it seems like him 'doing you a favor' may bite him if what he wrote isn't really valid.

My take is, its a play on car salesman tactic of I do you a favor, you feel obligated to do me one. I talked to 'the manager' and got you a deal, so you buy a car you don't really want. I reduced your ticket, so you just pay it, even if the ticket he changed it from was actually cheaper or less points.

Their favor is no favor at all.

I just want to clarify that this thread is not directly related to my speeding ticket mentioned in the other thread. In the case of the ticket I was on a straight stretch of road.

The reason I am asking about this is it was always in the back of my mind and now that I did get an unrelated ticket I am more worried about getting another one in the future and just wanted to be clear on the point of fast cornering within the overall speed limit.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just get a traffic lawyer, they are like 100 buxs here in MO and will knock your ticket down to a non moving violation.

Quick Reply: Mountain driving, speeding or not...